Alarm system with self monitoring internet capabilities

To play devil's advocate to Chris' post,

TCP/IP is a viable monitoring option, however as he alluded to, which I will clarify, in order to be reliable and bulletproof, you're looking at a network within the realm of business/enterprise level service (restoration within X time) and hardware. The CS's already have the wiring integrity and redundancy as well as contracts for service restoration/re-routing in the event of catastrophic events, all of which is covered within their UL listing, which most people don't start investigating or care about (really dry reading and hard to find for most service providers).

In addition to that, you need to have a CS that is well versed in TCP/IP monitoring and how to set it up as well as respond to it. The fact of the matter is, from what I'm reading, a lot of the CS's that deal with end users don't know how to respond or act with the system's supervisiory settings, let alone act appropriately when the systems fail to perform. This is further compounded when you install this hardware on a residential, end-user grade network and components.

My advice to you is read some alarm system reviews or home monitoring system. You need to read some feedback and complain about their job with past clients or present clients before purchasing any subscription to them. Get some trial first with there package or products and look for the cheapest but more secured for your home.

Monitored alarm systems are main stream, security companies want people to pay thousand dollars on security equipment and installation, also need to sign several years monthly contract. Now people can not afford that with reason of slump economy. DIY wireless alarm systems are get popular, and it's better to select the alarm system with GSM backup. I don't think internet connection is good for the home security system. I read some report about installed alarm system houses are burglarized after intruder force to cut the telephone line.

What Alarm monitoring company does is to call you when the system reported problem. If you agree, or if you are not available to reach by phone, they will call police to visit the monitored place with their ID. However, any live person can call police himself, if he knows for sure someone broke into his home. If you want to monitor the alarm yourself, you need to call police department to make sure which number to call in the event of break-in. That number normally is not 911.

Most thieves don't break in a home randomly. They already visited your place a few times before doing it. If your reporting method is by phone line, by Internet over DSL or cable, they can cut that first. You have to have backup method to report the break-in. You can also install real security camera which actually very effective to deter bad guys. You can have the camera email out a short recording to your gmail or Yahoo mail account. Even they took away your camera, you already have the recording.

Back