Any good or bad words about the Elk C1M1 device and ElkLink service?

Doubt the price point would make it attractive....what would be gained? A USB connection for programming? All the other features are likely to be cellular dependent.

As limited as the 16 messages are [XEP], they are still EXTREMELY valuable to me and I use them for all sorts of different things. Without that capability, I won't be baited.

drvnbysound said:
As limited as the 16 messages are [XEP], they are still EXTREMELY valuable to me and I use them for all sorts of different things. Without that capability, I won't be baited.

Good point!  

As limited as those 16 messages are, there are several mission critical events the Elk notifies me about and for other, non-critical items, I trigger outputs that CQC then uses to generate a slug of other notifications.  But having the Elk's capabilities (with its own auxiliary power) means those 16 messages get through even if power to everything else is out or Windows has decided to kill a computer.

Does anyone know if DDNS setup is needed for remote connection with the C1M1?  I also like the feature that no port forwarding is needed.

I just checked the PDF that Elk sent after the webinar, and it LOOKS LIKE installers and customers link to the Elk C1M1 via the Elklink website (similar to the way configuration for Telguard HomeControl is via their website), but that is just my GUESS.  

Easy answer would be to call Elk or an authorized (and knowledgeable) installer....

rekwjk said:
Does anyone know if DDNS setup is needed for remote connection with the C1M1?  I also like the feature that no port forwarding is needed.
If you look in ElkRP under connection there is an option for C1M1 Proxy Connect. I have never used it, but sounds likes you connect through Elk'a proxy so no incoming connections on the local firewall are required.

Since ISY talks to the ELK over the XEP, I wonder if C1M1 will require new firmware from Universal Devices... Or will it work at all.
Id hate to have to get an XEP just for ISY and the C1M1 for cellular.

My notes (see post 11 above) indicate you can't have both an XEP and a C1M1 and that Elk was going to build XEP-type functionality into the C1M1.  So it might be worth checking with Elk or on the UDI board about C1M1 compatibility with the ISY.

Sure wish the ball would get rolling on this thing, and for DIY people to get and install these.  I've been putting off a cellular solution for a couple years now.  I am in the same boat though, I use my ISY to talk to the ELK panel, so I need to have that funcionality, and believe me, I'd drop the XEP any day for something that was more reliable (well, I say that now, ever since I set it up with a static IP from the hardware side, I haven't had problems, but I couldn't count the number of times the thing crashed my internet because of a power blip)...

So has anyone purchased the C1M1GSM and put it in-service?

So far, the only item I can truly check off in the "pros" column is the ability to perform OTA programming via RP vs. via an XEP. I haven't been made aware of them being available in my area yet, going on about a year since the "coming soon".

I don't see this being a DIY product as it requires recurring billing and contracts with the providers. Not saying a reseller wouldn't sell, but too many variables to get it DIY and to a CS that is supported as a 3rd party product bought from another vendor. For the dealers, sure, but DIY, doubtful.

I posted elsewhere but now see this thread, not sure how a search missed it for me, sorry....

So... Alarm Relay says (emphasis) that they support this, and will activate it for me if I buy it.  I'm unclear why people view it as pro-install only if DIY can install the various uplink devices, which also require activation? 

I'm not sure if I see the value in it, but I was considering it, and am curious if anyone has actually laid hands on it yet and has opinions? 

One issue i need to look at is those messages from the xep - I do use those.  I need to get the manual and see if those are really lost.  If so this may be a no-brainer.

Linwood said:
I posted elsewhere but now see this thread, not sure how a search missed it for me, sorry....

So... Alarm Relay says (emphasis) that they support this, and will activate it for me if I buy it.  I'm unclear why people view it as pro-install only if DIY can install the various uplink devices, which also require activation? 

I'm not sure if I see the value in it, but I was considering it, and am curious if anyone has actually laid hands on it yet and has opinions? 

One issue i need to look at is those messages from the xep - I do use those.  I need to get the manual and see if those are really lost.  If so this may be a no-brainer.
Activation is generally only part of the equation. All they are doing is ensuring the pathway to them and communications, but generally speaking, most cellular communicators and IP communications routing hardware do require further setup and access to be able to "do what they do" just like the XEP sending emails and passing other items through.

Since the product is vaporware in my section of the country, I wouldn't be surprised if Elk and the cell parties have a configuration page on the dealer side to determine what is permissible and what is not on the device. Only makes sense.

I just ordered an uplink.  It's a shame that they got so close with the C1M1, but had to follow all the lemmings to requiring the "cloud" to make it work, and worse in doing so apparently lock out DIY'ers.  I also don't know why it does not disturb more people to have control of their life delegated to web sites; it becomes harder and harder to keep your information and control inside your own home.

Aside: I say that not as a Luddite, but as someone from the I.T. world.

Cost of ownership is the whole thing with the "cloud" based services (which as an IT guy, is laughable, because all it does is move the issue to someone else's computer).

You're not going to find too many pro grade pieces of hardware that are DIY friendly.

The control of the panel isn't delegated to a website per se....just the host app is going to pass through Elk's servers or vendor, which is basically the RMR application that all vendors use. The only variable is the amount of control and feedback the downstream system offers, no matter who the vendor is (Telular, Uplink interactive, C24....whoever) and how it's accomplished.

When Elk killed the Java app and required software to access the XEP remotely.....that's what basically decided what devices come after the fact. Elk hasn't really updated the M1 hardware in YEARS, good or bad.

Back