Anyone using a fluid extractor to change oil?

Changing the transmission filter may be intimidating but it's not that difficult. The only part that I have had trouble with is sealing up the drain pan again, I tend to always get a little seepage from the gasket. I did my old Camaro not too long ago and on that car you need to slide the cross-member of the frame rearward to remove the pan but that wasn't a big deal and is not necessary on all cars. A lift is necessary though, I wouldn't try to do it laying on my back.

Mike.

Thank you Mike.

Spoke to a mechanic yesterday about doing the transmission fluid change and he said to wait until you hit 80-100K on the E46.

The videos I watched suggested doing a two flush transmission fluid replacement in a shop versus at home.

I have never heard of flushing a transmission but it makes sense that flushing the system is better than draining it. Cars that aren't driven should have fluids changed at some point even if they don't have many miles on them.  I remember that the old brake fluids would get moisture in them and turn thick and milky after many years. With motor oil the contaminants will fall out of solution and collect in the bottom of the engine and should be removed and I would think that the same applies to the transmission.

My rule of thumb is to change the transmission fluid when it turns a dark color and gets a burnt odor. New fluid is red and has little odor.

Mike.

The problem with the above video is that he did not change the filter inside the transmission but it does show how the transmission is flushed.

Mike.

If you don't have access to a lift then it is probably smart to take it to someone who does. A third way to do a decent job of replacing or flushing the old fluid is to drain and change the filter. Fill the transmission and drive it for a little and then just drain and refill a second time.

Back