Cant connect to ELK M1 via ELK-M1XEP M1 Ethernet Interface

mishab

I see sporadic issues with my ELK -M1 XEP module after creating and uploading a rule to the board. While testing the email capabilities I created a rule that says "every 1 second email to email (1)". After uploading this rule I started to observe the following:
  • I cant connect to my ELK M1. Sometimes RP software connects, but then I get timeout messages during validation.
  • The XEP module does not repspond to pings or I see huge latencies
  • When turning off ELK M1 I can ping and "find" XEP without issues, but as soon as I turn ON ELK M1, the connectivity issue returns
I think the issue is caused by the rule that sends emails, which practically chocks the interface. I there anything I can do to fix this?

Try a factory reset on the xep. I am pretty sure it involve powering it up with a jumper in place. You'll have to check the manual for details.

Or, try just shutting down the xep and using the serial cable to connect and delete your rule.

Thank you for your reply. I thought about using the serial cable. Can you remind me if I need to use a terminal to access the board functions or there is a software I can use? Its been a while since I looked into that....

The hardest part is finding a computer with a com port. They just don't come that way anymore. You just pick the com port from Elk RP2 instead of "network" when you connect. USB to Com port adapters may work, before I bought the xep I used that. But I won't promise that all brands of usb to com port will work.

And I can just use the serial cable that runs from ELK-M1XEP and simply connect it to my old computers?

The hardest part is finding a computer with a com port. They just don't come that way anymore. You just pick the com port from Elk RP2 instead of "network" when you connect. USB to Com port adapters may work, before I bought the xep I used that. But I won't promise that all brands of usb to com port will work.
I went through all kinds of headaches because of this - In enterprise networking you need serial/terminal all the time - and especially when Windows 7 x64 was coming out - nothing but headaches and driver issues. I found one particular model of USB to Serial that has never failed me - I bought a bunch - for my whole department, and several for myself - and use them all the time across various OS's and have never had a single issue... This is the one I use - can be found at Fry's as well usually.

And I can just use the serial cable that runs from ELK-M1XEP and simply connect it to my old computers?
yup (need elk rp on the computer of course)

EDIT:

Go to "setup"/"communications"/"direct connection" and pick the com port you are using.

Then go to "connection"/"direct connection"

Though this is an older post, it describes the exact problem I am having. But unlike mishab, I haven't a clue what can be causing the disconnects. So I don't know how a USB/serial cable may help me resolve my disconnects. All I know is everything was working fine before I tried to connect with my ISY. That seemed to corrupt something in the system.

I was unable to find any mention of a reset the XEP in the manual. But I did find a download program M1XEP_Diagnostics_Full_Install file. Does anyone one know what this program can do?

Bringing up a thread from the dead ... I was having some trouble with connecting ElkRP to the Elk XEP module so did a search on these forums. Sanders problem above got my gears turning and on a hunch I disconnected my ISY from the LAN and bingo, connection worked right away.

So now, armed with the knowledge that the problem was related to the ISY, I looked into my setup and compared to the manual and realized that I had set up the ISY to connect to Elk via the secure port. UD's manual clearly states that you need to connect to the non-secure port of the XEP module. It seems that one little oversight buggered the whole comm system!

I expect that sanders has fixed his system, but hopefully this post helps the next person in their search!

Back