CAT 6 Crimper Recommendations

Just a quickie recap including what is needed in a bag o network tools for DIY home stuff (may have missed somethings here).  

Here while I do not do this much many years ago now updated to a compression style RJ-45 crimper and a network meter that showed me pairs and lengths of network cable runs.  I have never used stranded 8 wire cable for networking.

I do this stuff rarely.  For work it was always sub contracted stuff.  I would have look see's as to the quality of work done and occasionally watched and validated stuff.  Always did that watching thing.  You could easily tell if they didn't know their job.

So in a recap my little bag o network tools consist of:  (borrowed a friends once - replicated it - also had fiber connectivity tester).

I purchased the el cheapo network meter for some $30. 

So basically utilize:

1 - punchdown tool (mine is old now and was a gift)
punchdowntool.jpg

2 - cable jacket stripper  (mine is old now and was a gift and not a monoprice one)
cablestripper.jpg

3 - compression style crimper (its been years now but the change over to a compression style tools worked for me)
compressioncrimper.jpg

4 - network tester (here purchased the $30 cheapo.)  It has a beeper on it to know I am connected. And does good for me when testing the POE network cables and ends.
networktester.jpg

5 - Toner (old now thinking it is a rainbird toner as purchased it when rewiring my irrigation). Looks like this one and I purchased it for around $5.
toner.jpg

6 - lineman wire cutter.  Looks bigger than this and it was a gift from a master electrician old neighbor.
linemanwirecutter.jpg

7 - wirecutter (have 2 of these) and use them all of the time. (not sure on the name)
wirecutter-plier.jpg

8 - little nippers (not sure on the name)
nipper.jpg

DELInstallations said:

Thanks, I added that to my toolbox.  I'm sold on using the gel filled bean type connectors for cat cable and similar wire sizes after trying a few other types but I strip the wires and twist them together before crimping the bean on.  It's easy enough to do and with the gel filled cap should last forever. I've been crimping them with a tool made to crimp barrel connectors up till now.

I'll take a used commercial grade tool over a brand new home-owner grade tool every time. I've been collecting tools since I was a kid and started out buying whatever I could afford to buy. My first set of mechanics hand tools was Montgomery Ward PowerCraft brand (anyone remember Montgomery Wards?) because I was hired as an auto mechanic by a nearby dealership and didn't have a decent tool set. I still have some around but they just don't grip a bolt as well or feel as nice in your hand as a nice chrome SnapOn tool.  Through the years I've learned to appreciate a quality tool and love to collect them.

Mike.

@Mike,

I was just posting examples of the tools I have in my network bag.  Fast search on pictures in google.

I have never purchased any tools from MonoPrice.  Mine above are hand me downs from peers in the trade.  (and old neighbor was a master electrician and old wife worked for Honeywell as a tech) .

A couple of times when supervising some work vendors would give me stuff gratis (tools).  Never asked vendors for tools.  I would only ask them to show me what and how.  Well too last year HVAC tech that looked at my stuff here gave me some of his tools so that I could do the checking without him.

I was a happy camper and gave him an Android tablet in return.  There were no labor charges for what he did (old friend).

The networking test device was a cheapo Ebay purchase.  (kind of similiar to the BMW reset airbag tool I purchased a couple of years back). 

I got the GMP tool from Ebay and cleaned it up and it works nicely but I can't figure out what type of wire the wire stripper in the handle is used with. Can any explain this to me?

The GMP #8 die set is different than the Amp tool die set in the area of the strain relief as DEL pointed out earlier. There is a rectangular area in the plug that the tool presses down against the cable jacket and that area is a little different shape in the two plugs. By using the Amp tool with the Ideal ws/ss plugs I have not been pushing the strain relief down and instead just squeezing the entire plug case. I think that the eight pins have not been getting pressed all of the way down either but well enough that I was getting away with it. I have dozens of these all over my house and everything works fine but I may go around and give them a squeeze with the GMP tool for good measure.

For anyone interested - I also came across a document that said that if the tool ever fails that GMP will take it back and adjust it for the price of shipping.

http://gmptools.com/nf/pdf/modular%20presser%20instructions.pdf

Mike.

Quality tools are important.  I truly don't understand the "harbor freight" mentality - the whole "I only need it for one use".  I take the approach of "I'm only buying this once, and I expect it to outlive me".  Quality tools make for better workmanship and a better final product, along with reduced time spent working.

Now for some good quality connectors. I've been using Ideal 85-366 3-piece connectors mainly because they are available in Home Depot and Lowes. I like the three piece assembly but they cost a lot more than most cat5e and cat6 connectors at  about $.65 each.

What are you guys using? I want a quality plug but wonder if there isn't a 1-pice plug that is just as good or better quality. And I want a plug that the little lock clip won't break off easily like some I've seen.

Mike.

Here still have bags of RJ-45 ends probably over 10 years old that do well.   I do not know anymore where I purchased or how I got the bag o 100 RJ-45 ends.  They seem to have held up.  I originally used diy'd patch cables for my multiple Digi Edgeport to devices connections way longtime ago.  The cables were done to standard and the RS-232 ends where all the same.  I do sit at my workbench or kitchen table when making up a patch cable. 

Testing the DIY cables now with the right tool has helped me a bunch as making the cable here always had problems with colors.  Same with patching cables to patch panels. I did install lamps over my patch panel areas to have better lighting when doing this. 

I have some Amp 8p8c connectors here that will crimp onto the wire and work on my LAN but they are only rated as CAT3. I have read that the main difference is that a CAT5 connector has gold plated contacts.

Mike.

In the late 1990's in to the 2000's here the patch cables were done up by the companies I worked for and then it appeared that they were tagged and certified by the same group.  (airline industry for example).

DIYing the cables here initially did try with  a cheapo non compression type of crimper which didn't work until I asked at work how they did the patch cables and they showed me the compression tool they used.

Recently (well now last 10 years) its been the whole POE thing / cable stuff for cams and touchscreens here.  Touchscreens just use standard wall jacks that I rechecked a while ago. 

The very first Leviton Chopin digital volume controls used cat5e connections and I just checked them out before going to the Russound keypads.  I do have a mini managed POE switch in a wall plate in a couple of location that I use for two nightstand touchscreens.

IE: today then always check with my networking tool my DIY'd cables and it has always been a keeping the order / colors right when making up a RJ-45 end.

Just when I thought that I knew everything there is to know about terminating a cat5 cable I found this about strain relief. I've never seen a secondary strain relief. Is this common?

I would say yes.

I looked at some old patch cables I made up and see the secondary strain relief.  Not sure how old the patch cable is.

Looked also at a couple of purchased cables with no hoods and those too have the secondary strain relief.

Practice making a patch cable.  First few will be time consuming.  After a bit it will go faster.

Ideally you want to test them with the networking tools mentioned above. 

pete_c said:
Practice making a patch cable.  First few will be time consuming.  After a bit it will go faster.

Ideally you want to test them with the networking tools mentioned above. 

I'm not new to terminating cat5 cable, I can't count the number of these ends I've crimped onto cables in the past few years but I only recently learned that I haven't been doing it correctly. I was using an Amp tool on ws/ss connectors and getting away with it. It is only recently that I'm taking a close look at the plugs and tools and that I've learned to do it correctly.

I just wasn't aware of the secondary relief. I was looking at the Ideal 85-366 cat6 plugs on the Ideal web site and noticed a note which concerned me:

"Crimps with a standard RJ-45 crimp die - not for use with tools with secondary strain relief crimp used with CAT 5e"

I've used a load of these connectors and don't know if my Amp tool or the GMP tool presses the secondary relief. If they do then neither one of them are correct for this connector.

The point is that I got the GMP tool becsue it claims to press all ws/ss connectors but this particular Ideal plug raises a question.

Mike.

Back