CAT 6 Crimper Recommendations

Yeah here never used an Ideal branded cat6 plug.  I don't think too I have ever purchased RJ-45 ends at the local big box store.

Only have used the cat6 type pictured.  Last batch of MonoPrice cat6 patch cables are labeled as such. The ends look like regular ends to me with secondary strain reliefs.

cat6plug.jpg

Can you purchase an Ideal cat6 die for your new crimper?

pete_c said:
Yeah here never used an Ideal branded cat6 plug.  I don't think too I have ever purchased RJ-45 ends at the local big box store.

Only have used the cat6 type pictured.  Last batch of MonoPrice cat6 patch cables are labeled as such. The ends look like regular ends to me with secondary strain reliefs.

attachicon.gif
cat6plug.jpg

Can you purchase an Ideal cat6 die for your new crimper?

Buying another die may be an option but it defeats the my purpose of buying the GMP tool from the start. The reason that I bought the GMP crimper is to get away from a proprietary connector design - namely Amp where you can only use Amp connectors which are not readily available. The GMP is advertised to work with anything out there aside from Amp.

I just took a close look at the GMP die and it definitely has a form to crimp the secondary strain relief which means that it is not compatible with the 85-366 Ideal plug. The Amp tool does not crimp the secondary strain relief but does not press the primary strain relief properly. So technically neither tool should be used with the Ideal 85-366 and only and Ideal tool should be used.

I do believe that what I've found is that the marketing people want to lock you into using only their brand connectors.

To sum it up I have a load of connectors that neither tool will crimp "correctly" and that I need to find a cat6 rated connector that has ws/ss primary and secondary strain relief.

Mike.

I do believe that what I've found is that the marketing people want to lock you into using only their brand connectors.

yup.

When I first started to terminate my network connections here (this home) I went to the local Home Depot to purchase some stuff and used the legrand style wall plates with their style of keystone jacks.  Very proprietary but the display at the store made it seem like the new style of wall jack.  I ended up swapping out the old Legrand network wall plates and going with the more modern keystone jack wall plates over the last few years.

I was looking at the picture above and before when you referenced the ideal branded category 6 RJ-45 end.  Personally had never seen one before until you mentioned it and saw the links you posted.

off the subject a bit....

I did an early run (6:30)  this morning to Lowes and noticed much of the automation stuff that was there last time is all gone now.

I went there to purchase a GFI and noticed that the design is a bit nicer than the old one I was replacing (which went bad).  New one had LED's on it.  Never saw one like this before.

I just got off the phone with GMP and I learned that the GMP #8 die is good up to cat5e plugs and should not be used with cat6 plugs. They make a #B8 die for cat6.

So that in turn means that many of the branded and unbranded crimpers that people are using on these 85-366 Ideal cat6 plugs and probably many other cat6 plugs are not correct and not crimping correctly or as they are designed to.

Now I have to choose between buying a #B8 die for about $75 or shelving my cat6 plugs and buying a bag of cat5e plugs for about ten bucks......no-brainer.....the cheap plugs win.

Nothing is simple.

Mike.

Pete

Be aware that that black load-bar in your cat6 picture may cause a problem with your crimps. If it gets in the way of the secondary strain relief press in the tool then the tool will not be able to close the dies set completely and won't crimp the pins correctly. You may want to go back to cat5e plugs.

Mike.

On second thought this may not have so much to do with marketing.

I've noticed that it is the load bar that slides onto the individual wires that allows you to keep the pairs twisted practically right up to the gold plated pins which is an improvement over the cat5e connectors and giving the cat6 speed. However at the same time it gets in the way of and does not  allow for the secondary strain relief that the cat5e connector has. It looks like it was a trade off between strain relief and speed and speed won.

DELInstallations said:
Those 3 piece ends are horrible. I think I finally got through the box I had of them.

What didn't you like about them? I find that they help me to keep the wires straight.

Mike.

DELInstallations said:
I've been using a GMP crimper/presser for years. Solves the issues of the "butterfly" or plier types that rock the die into/across the plug. I've had problems with that a few times (others crimped the ends).

DEL

What number die are you using to crimp your CATx cable ends?

Mike.

DELInstallations said:
I have this kit:

http://craftworktools.com/15305.html with 5 dies. Also have the leather case one with the 4,6,8 dies. I haven't looked closely as to their exact number on them and which they support in a while. The site I live at uses all Zmax ends and Siemon

I looked at the Siemon Zmax plugs and Siemon makes their own crimper for the plugs. But which GMP die is correct for the Siemon plug, #8 or #B8? There's a big difference between the two dies and Siemon's web site doesn't show any details of the plug.

It's almost like it's a secret how to correctly terminate a cat5e or cat6 cable. For all of my research I've come up with only one combination that I am certain is correct and that is to use the Amp white-coded die with the Amp cat5/cat5e plugs.

Mike.

In your case Mike, I'd go with what you need to install what you buy locally. I use whatever is within the spec or needed....easy enough for me to buy a tool for a one time job.

I'll have to look to see what I've got.

Back