CocoonTech.com & advertising

Would you support carefully selected advertising?

• Yes, I totally understand and support this decision

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I don't understand why it is needed but support this decision

• No, but I would still visit this site

• No, it would convince me to stop visiting this site

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think it would be easier on him to just place an ad and not have to design a site which support both ads and non add viewing members. Not only that but he would also be getting $5 at a time from members instead of $500 at a time from advertisers. This means he would have a lot more work to do to manage the solution.

Oh and Martin, if they do ad rates based on post count the you would be paying a pretty high fee. :) I'm sure that's not what you meant tho.

I support ads as they do help defray the cost of the site. That $200 a year (assuming that this site would bring in that much, you don't get a lot of money with ads unless you're a huge site) would be a nice ELK-M1EZ8 for my setup! ;) My wife ([acronym="Chief Financial Officer"]CFO[/acronym]) doesn't exactly like that my hobby eats up any of the budget so I have to really justify everything. She doesn't understand why I put so much time and effort into my hobby. She does use the HA in the home but can't see the connection to my site and the number of hours needed to maintain it. If I were to only spend 1 hour a week working on the site (hehe) that would come out to less than $4/hour. I've seen some sites that have gone hog wild with ads (on the top, on the bottom, down the left, down the right, in the middle) I no longer visit those sites as there are more ads than content. I doubt that will happen here as the owner of this site has a good reputation and seems to have worked hard to keep it that way (I don't see SPAM in the forums so he's keeping them out).

I've added text ads to my site (not that I like them). They're the simple banner ads and they're only at the top of a page. I also don't break up my pages so I can have more ads viewed. Though I may have to split the pages to make them more manageable. I doubt that will happen here. The folks at some of the major HA DIY suppliers have asked if they could advertise on my site and I've turned them down. The money would have been nice but I'd have to watch my tongue (and I don't like doing that). I've lashed out at X10 and Z-Wave on certain topics. I'd rather not have them as advertisers and then have to deal with the backlash. On my forums (related to my book) I have really small one liners. I doubt they add much income. Having said that I have found some of the ads useful. I often search for vendors, suppliers and new manufacturers in the HA market. There are a lot of times when I wish I could click on the links to find out more about those sites (that's a really bad no-no). Sometimes the link is visible and I can go directly to the site and see what they've got. I'm also not allowed to add comments asking folks to visit the advertisers (more no-no's with Google).

There is one thing to consider, if the site is in your name and you should become unemployed you may not be able to get unemployment insurance as you have income. In NJ, I remember reading about one poor chap who couldn't get unemployment because he ran a web site (NJ considers that a job even though it added no income other volunteer work falls into that category too). Something to check out.

Do whatever you need to do to keep the site up and running. You should be proud of this site, it's part of the "greater good".

Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the support guys! The site will stay as is for now, but it looks like we are all on the same page ;) I promise any changes I would make would benefit the community!

I don't think anyone will mind advertising if it is light hearted and fun. Maybe something with cavemen, or college coeds who have "gone wild" for some reason.

I'd pay for college coeds.............. oh wait wrong site

My visits have been scarce recently so I'm a little late on this thread, however...........

Seeing the above just brings to mind CollegeBoysLive over on the Homeseer site. :rolleyes:

Dan, I hate ads as much as the next guy, but totally understand the reasons and support whichever path you take. I'm very thankful for what you've done here and greatly appreciate your awesome contributions to the HA community.

Also, have you considered a "donations page" to help with CT funding?

Terry

I agree with Terry...

I don't mind ads, so long as they are like Google Ads.

I opted to NOT show the ads on Homeseer.com, as they were a BIT intrusive. I did not like how they took up to much room on the right side (as on my laptop it made the text too small). I don't think I would mind their ads either, if it were up along the top of the screen.

--Dan

I see we have the first ad up. Very nice work, not invasive at all. I'll definitely taylor my shopping habits to use CT sponsors from this point forward. Let's see, what can I sneek past the wife to take advantage othe 20% SA sale at AO?... :)

Terry

Thanks Terry.

I am still experimenting with placement and size, but the main goals are to avoid being invasive (no flash ads, X10 style popups, etc), benefit the membership, and being extremely relevant. The current banner size is not a standard (half the height of a regular ad, and a little wider), but I think it might do the job.

Don't hesitate to post any feedback (positive or negative), as I will use it to improve the site.

Nice! That type/size of ad isn't offensive at all. I would say that you might even go a little taller...seems kind of skinny.

I think we need a permanent automated outlet ad, I an already getting used to just clicking the banner.

Back