Dryer buzzer automation?

My solution is to use an Amazon Echo and tell it "Alexa, set a timer for 48 minutes". Or whatever number of minutes corresponds to how long the washer or the dryer tells me it's going to run for that cycle.

How to use it several times today as I'm cleaning all of the linens for the boat in preparation for the upcoming Fourth of July weekend.

wkearney99 said:
My solution is to use an Amazon Echo and tell it "Alexa, set a timer for 48 minutes". Or whatever number of minutes corresponds to how long the washer or the dryer tells me it's going to run for that cycle.

How to use it several times today as I'm cleaning all of the linens for the boat in preparation for the upcoming Fourth of July weekend.
Most dryers (and washers) don't have a set time anymore. My wife uses a timer for the time it says at the start and its often very far off. Washers and dryers adjust based on the load.

Both of mine do, recently purchased in 2013. They're Electrolux front-loaders.  They give me a time for both wash and dry cycles.  Dry cycles can, in some situations, end earlier than the estimated time.  I don't dry anything other that towels or sheets on high temp.  Mid-temp avoids shrinking any of my clothes.  So the 48 minute estimate is always about right.  But these days I don't much care because anything that needs ironing goes to the cleaners instead.

I've tried a variety of detectors to watch motion/vibration and none really work reliably/accurately/appropriately enough to make it worth their hassle.  

The only thing I'd be willing to consider would be an in-line circuit monitor back at the breaker panel.  Monitor electrical consumption and use that as a trigger.  

As of yet I've never seen anything that could be plugged in-line.  It'd sure be a nice gizmo, something I could plug in-between the washer, dryer, sump pumps, etc, that monitored if they were running or not.  Where 'running' could be configured such that triggering would be based on going above/below a certain wattage.  But making an in-line gizmo like that would no doubt be plagued with UL testing costs and potential insurance liability risks.,

wkearney99 said:
I've tried a variety of detectors to watch motion/vibration and none really work reliably/accurately/appropriately enough to make it worth their hassle.  
Have you tried some of the light detection methods (a sensor that can detect if an indication light is on)?

No, because there's nowhere convenient I'd tolerate attaching a sensor.  These things are beastly heavy and I don't want to think about tearing into the cabinet to find places to add something.  I'm not one to be paranoid about modifications though.  

For the washer, though, I do have an in-line water cut-off that detects current demand from the washer.  That has a sensor light.  It only opens the water valves when the washer pulls enough current to be running.  That and it has a sensor for the floor to detect leaks.  

But the washer timing cycle isn't much of a concern.  It's estimates are good.  Dryer time, however, depends on getting to the drum before freshly dried stuff gets too wrinkled.  I could see where folks would want a way to be notified of this.  

Back