DSL Setup

noshali

Hi,

I recently moved overseas and now have a dsl connection...I have alsways used the cable while in the US but am a little lost on how to setup correctly.

Got a modem from the provider and they put in the username and password in the modem setup and assigned the modem an ip of 192.168.1.1 Now with that I cannot use the WAN port on the router as that would not work. I connect the cat5 from the moden=m to one of the ports on the router and it works fine. The issue I have is how come I cannot use the WAN port and also once I do that I have to manually assign ip addresses for each device connected and get errors like I am using 2 gateway. I setup the router as ip 192.168.1.2 that was the best I could think of to make it work.

Now some devices I have to use the 192.16.1.1 as the dns and for some I have to use the DNS that the provider provided. Confused again.

Need help to streamline the setup. the connection is a dynamic ip connection.

Also, since the house is concrete I am using a wireless router on the first floor and an access point on the first floor. I have named them wirelessD and wirelessU. Is there a way for the device to automatically switch to the nearest wireless access point???

Thanks for your help.

regards,

Sorry, but the questions aren't all that clear. How about some basics:

CLOUD <---> (a) DSL Modem :)) <---> &copy; Router (d) <--> (e) PC

CLOUD= itnernet
(a) is your DSL modems WAN ip address. You might not know this, but many sites can tell you it (dyndns for example)
:)) is your modem's LAN gateway address 192.168.1.1
&copy; is going to be the modem's DHCP server assigned IP
(d) if your router also has a DHCP server, than any device connected to it will speak to this IP address (router default gateway)
(e) is the PC's IP address

Your DSL modem is probably a router. It probably translates an ethernet signal into PPPoE. As such, there's only an internal gateway. 192.168.1.1 (B) is the internal gateway IP address. If you connect your router to this, then the WAN IP of your router is going to probably be DHCP'd to something like 192.168.1.X &copy; and then your router will assign its own LAN ip addresses (d). (d) can be an valid IP address, and could even be 192.168.1.1, but this might be confusing.

Use dyndns to determine your external IP address and map it to a hostname for access. NOTE: if your computer is behind a router which is behind another router (see drawing above), you probably can't get to it form the internet, unless you are savy enough to enable port forwarding.

I'd recommend the following:

a) turn off your router's DHCP server. This way, the only IP addresses that are generated come from the DSL modem. In other words, all IP addresses are 192.168.1.X &copy;+ (e) and there is no (d) IP address.

Yup you have a modem/router combo. Often you can put it into bridge mode and it will allow you to configure your LAN through your router as you are used to.

I am not sure that it is a router/modem as I have seen the dsl modem/router combination that providers give out here. This is a modem and only has one rj45 at the back. Also, in the modem setup I can see the ip address that is not 192.X.X.X

Are all modems the same or each provider has its unique modem. The reason I ask is that I could buy one from the US a dsl/router combo and use the routers as access points by disabling the dhcp.

The setup is phoneline to modem to router to pcs

Please advise on the wireless question.

regards,

I'm still pretty sure it is a router too. you can't tell just by looking at the outside. What brand/model is it, that will tell us for sure. In the states, Westell is pretty common and they are routers as well. Mine is a Westell modem/router and also has 1 RJ45 (no built in hub/switch). I'm with Collin, set the DSL device to bridge mode and use your router as a router - usually they work a bit better and are more configurable.

I'm not a wireless kind of guy, but I would think WirelessD talked to WirelessU and your laptop/pc would just pick up strongest signal - but sorry I am not into wireless really.

Thanks....it is one of the chinese brands not only made in chicna but a chinese brand. I will be back on Jan 12 and will see what it is.

regards,

Back