DVR for OmniPro: software or hardware?

johnmhome

I want to add a DVR to my OmniPro and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on which to use:

• Hardware via HAI's own DVR 68A00
  • Software via HAI's WL3 running on WHS
  • Something else

Here's what I need from the DVR functionality:

• Compatible with IP cameras of various brands (I've not bought them yet, but don't want to be tied down if I can avoid it)
  • Record or mark recordings based on events
  • Email still pictures based on events
  • Display live feed on Omni IP Console (already have an OmniTouch 5.7e)
  • Display live feed on some kind of iPhone app (currently using free HAI app which is good enough for me)
  • Convert 1 analog camera to IP. I'm assuming I can do this with a little standalone converter box. It's worth mentioning that I have 1 legacy analog camera and will buy 3 external cameras, which I currently assume will be IP.
  • Implied above: 4 cameras will do it for me

I'm a software guy so I'm naturally drawn to the WL3/WHS thing, but I know WHS is going to update soon in a non-backwards compatible way and that may cause big delays in updating WL3. I also want to avoid buying Automation Studio because I don't want to do the fancy customization it offers, but fear I must have it to make the OmniTouch 5.7e talk to the camera server or similar nonsense. That might make the 68A00 a better option. On the other hand, having a WHS box that can also do backups of the home PCs is pretty cool.

So, has anyone evaluated these and made a choice they can justify?

I am considering various options myself but have not yet come to a decision.

Hardware DVRs such as the one HAI makes and other various Chinese/Linux based ones are good with analog cameras, they also have hardware outputs than can integrate with inputs on the Omni for a zone for say motion detection. Most of these though do not have a simple http url with a jpg or mjpg, so they will not integrate with the 5.7e (including the HAI one!).

IP cams are what I am leaning toward mainly because most of them will integrate with the iPhone or the 5.7e by virtue of having a integrated web server with a jpg or mjpg url and power distribution is simplified with POE.

There are some DVR's coming out with a companion iPhone app, Qsee has some.

For software DVR's I like Luxriot from demoing it, I haven't tried HAI's WL3 (mostly because I purchased web-link II right before it came out and I have to pay again, no upgrade), but it looks pretty stripped down as a dvr(no motion record). Luxriot has no iPhone interface however (it's "web" interface is just an activex control).

Analog cameras are cheaper and for your money you can get better low light capability if you go for ExView CCD types, but they top out at D1 resolution, IP cams can do megapixel.

I have a WHS server, so I would like to use it as a soft DVR, probably Luxriot or Exacq, something that runs as a service, you would be surprised how many don't.

For camera I am probably going to do Y-cam/Sharx outdoor bullets, they are POE with true day/night and priced well and are well supported on both the iPhone and in DVR's and have good stable firmware (I have a Y-cam Knight for indoor use currently), they also have an integrated mic for listening, although the 5.7e nor any iPhone apps actually support audio on IPCams as of yet.

Other IPCams I am considering are Acti's(good price), Arecont Domes(good low light, ok price), Mobotix(Expensive but IR motion,two way audio with SIP and good lowlight).

HAI is very annoying in their IPcam, touch screen integration and pricing strategy. I would like to do a 5.7e, but at $1000 it very pricey, but wait to do anything useful you need to spend another $500 on Automation Studio to customize it or even upgrade it's firmware. Their 10" touchscreen is even more of a joke at $3000 when iPads cost $500. Plus there is no integration with WL3's DVR or their analog DVR even with Automation studio from the same company, only the analog-ip camera server! Having both an iPhone and iPad currently, it really makes no sense to go with their touch screen solutions, and just find apps that work with the camera.

Back