Ekeypad pro

Hmmm, I'm starting to wonder if you Elk is getting it's IP address via DHCP from your router instead of always having the same "hard" IP address.

I have my Elk set to a 'hard' IP via the XEP configuration as shown in the snapshot below.

If your phone and elk are behind the firewall, you should not have to port forward anything (I think).

elkip.jpg

My XEP is also set for "use a static IP address". I just hit the "find" button again and I got an IP address that now starts with 192.168.

I'm not sure why or if I'm doing something wrong. Now what?.

I'm very sorry for my inexperience

eKeypad does not have any auto-discover that I'm aware of.  

For the OP, your XEP IP address should start with either 10., 192.168, 172.16 - if it's none of those then something really weird is going on.

To find the IP Address of your phone, you'd actually open your Wifi settings and find the network you're connected to - there'll be a right-arrow and a check mark on the one you're connected to - touch that and it'll show you the details of that connection, including the IP address.

The first 3 spaces should be the same between the phone and the XEP for it to work inside your home - start there before venturing into changing any firewall settings or trying to get it to work outside the house.

If I compare the info from my phone and the XEP the last digit of the IP address is different.

If I hit the find button I no longer her an IP address that begins with 192.168

I should of wrote down the info when I initially set it up. Any ideas what I should be doing next/how can I solve this?

We are playing 20 questions here.  Give us a total picture of the situation;

Take a screen shot of the XEP screen like I did above.

Tell us the IP address of the phone.  You can leave out the last two digits if you want, but it's not a big deal as those IP address are internal to your LAN.

My XEP shows the below:
Use a static IP address
IP address: 169.254.49.**
Submet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.*

Specify DNS addresses to use:
Promary DNS server: 24.200.241.**
Secondary: 24.201.245.**

When I hit find it doesn't give me an IP address that's begins with 192.168 as mentioned on my cell phone.But, when I hit find earlier it did find an address with 192.168. I'm trying to connect using the Ekeypad Pro app and this is preventing me to do so because no matter what info I enter in the app I get a message saying "unable to connect verify your network settings and network connection.

My cell phone displays:

IP address: 192.168.0.***
Submet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.*.*

When I hit find earlier it did find an address with 192.168. I'm trying to connect using the Ekeypad Pro app and this is preventing me to do so because no matter what info I enter in the app I get a message saying "unable to connect verify your network settings and network connection.

Open a DOS command line on any computer inside your LAN and ping 192.168.0.111.  Hopefully you will get no response.  If so continue below:

OK, setup your XEP like this (I'm assuming your router is 192.168.0.1. IP address)

yourElk.jpg

Save and reboot the XEP

Then use this for your eKeypad settings:

IP Address: 192.168.0.111
Port: 2101

See if you can connect with your phone.

You will also have to put in this new IP on the main RP screen.

Save as a new file in case you have to revert back.

If this works, then try using the secured port to connect.

Not successful. Should the IP address in the XEP be the same of the System URL/IP from the main page of the XEP

Yes, and same with the Port below.

I use the secured port 2601 myself

Also, write down the RP Access Code's four digit number below that

It works. nice. Thanks. Question. Why did I need to enter an IP address different then the one the XEP found?

pitbull said:
It works. nice. Thanks. Question. Why did I need to enter an IP address different then the one the XEP found?
Don't know as I never relied on that 'find' feature.  When it comes to IP appliances, it's best to give them a hard IP if possible, then create a spreadsheet of the IP, MAC ID, and Device Model Number of everything on your network! ;)

Comes in handy when setting up stuff like this.

I DO let my phones get a DHCP address though as I never need to 'find' them on my LAN.

I setup my router so I have DHCP reservations from 192.168.1.200 for a total of ten (192.168.1.209).  Then I have my firewall/router set to 192.168.1.1, then start the hard IP reservations using addresses from 192.168.1.2 up to 192.168.1.199.

In YOUR case you would not have that next to last number as you have addresses with 192.168.0.xxx.

Make sense?

Also, you will have to 'port forward' one of those ports (secured or unsecured) with your router so that port forward will go to your 192.168.0.111 IP address.

This PortForward site has some good tutorials for doing port forwarding setup based on your router model number.

So, to set this up OUTSIDE your LAN you would have to know the WAN IP of your main cable or dsl modem.

You can easily find that address by going to THIS site.

Then you will setup your phone with that IP and the port number you port forwarded.

Also note that your cable modem's WAN IP is subject to change.  Most here use a DNS service such as DNS.org and have that setup in our routers so the name you pick will always be associated with the latest WAN IP address.

So if you pick a reregistration name of pittbull.dns.org you would use that name and the port number forwarded for your eKeypad settings.

After I do the port forward I can sign in from outside my house as long as I change the IP address for the DYN address on the app right?

If you are using dyn to update your WAN IP, you might not have to 'manually' update that as your firewall/router might have that capability.

Back