Ekeypad pro

What if you turn off your wifi on your phone so you know you're connecting over cellular?  As I mentioned earlier some routers block you from accessing something inside your house via the outside IP.

Also - on any computer/phone in the house, go to www.myipaddress.com and try using that address before worrying about the dynamic DNS name - as that'll at least let you verify IP settings and port forwarding - if that works, then take the final step to using Dynamic DNS.

Yea, that's what I suggested back in post 27!  Good advice, especially about turning off WiFi to your phone to ensure you are on the WAN side of your network.

I suggest re-reading post 27 also as there is a lot of info thrown in there.

If I shut off my wifi it doesn't not work. I tried changing the port from 2101 to 2601 but that didn't help.

If I insert the IP address I get from what's my IP address website it doesn't connect.

What setting should I be looking at

BraveSirRobbin said:
Also, you will have to 'port forward' one of those ports (secured or unsecured) with your router so that port forward will go to your 192.168.0.111 IP address.

This PortForward site has some good tutorials for doing port forwarding setup based on your router model number.

So, to set this up OUTSIDE your LAN you would have to know the WAN IP of your main cable or dsl modem.

You can easily find that address by going to THIS site.

Then you will setup your phone with that IP and the port number you port forwarded.

Also note that your cable modem's WAN IP is subject to change.  Most here use a DNS service such as DNS.org and have that setup in our routers so the name you pick will always be associated with the latest WAN IP address.

So if you pick a reregistration name of pittbull.dns.org you would use that name and the port number forwarded for your eKeypad settings.

I know how to retrieve my WAN IP address. I'm not following what I need to do with the port forward. When I look at my info on why router I see that when I initially set everything up (and it was working perfectly fine until a few days ago) my M1 IP address was port forwarded to the secure port of the M1. I do have an DYN account set and that's what I was using in my initial set up.

I never set up my phone with my WAN address in my initial set up so i'm confused. Other then the M1 IP address do I need to port forward something else?

If I try with no WI-FI and change the IP address it wont work

Inside your home, you are connected to the LAN side, 'behind' your firewall, so no port forwarding (or routing) is needed.  This works of course if your phone is on WiFi and set to an 'internal' LAN IP (in your case it's 192.168.0.xxx).

So no 'routing' has to take place, the Elk XEP also has to have an IP of 192.168.0.xxx.

Outside your firewall is a different story.

You have two problems, the first is how the heck do you even find your home's cable modem (or dsl) WAN address, especially when this can change every day?  You seem to have this figured out by establishing a DYN account, which runs on your firewall/router (or a computer via a software program) and updates whatever "WAN" IP the cable modem currently has to a name such as pittbull.dyn.org.  You then simply use that 'name' to point to your home when outside your firewall.

Now, you potentially have a lot of Internet appliances/computers in your home.  How do you know which one to go to once you know 'how' to get to your cable modem via the DYN name?  Well, this is where 'port forwarding' comes into play.

When you want to address say the Elk XEP, which is running on port 2601, you would have to say (in Internet traffic speak) pittbull.dyn.org:2601.  This tells where your cable modem is and which device it needs to go to (via the port number).

Problem is, the cable modem doesn't understand how to direct that port request to the Elk XEP; but, your firewall/router does.  You have to setup a 'port forward' setting so when that requests hits the firewall/router, it knows which internal LAN IP address to go to.

So, somewhere in your model of firewall/router, you have a 'gaming' or 'port forwarding' setting where you can specify the port number, and the internal IP address of the desired appliance to route that port request to.

The website I referenced above (PortForwarding.com) has example menus of various models of firewall/routers.

Does this make any sense now?

What is the make/model number of your firewall/router?

I have  DLink (DI-524)

I did a port forward of the XEP IP address we assigned based on previous post to port 2601. I understand what you mentioned above, and thank you for that and all your patience. I definitely need to learn more about all this but in the mean time I need to get this fixed.

I don't think I need to change anything from my DYN account since that's programmed with my WAN address and not my LAN address. My XEP IP address is port forward to 2601 (unless I did it wring but its pretty straight forward), should I be entering something else on the APP ( I'm think no since all it needs is a correct address for when connecting with an external source. Not sure what else to look at.

All is working now. I had the port fowarding right but their is an option in the app I needed to select telling it the pot was secure and insert the XEP user name and password. Again thank you so much for the info and patience with my low level of knowledge with these things.

I will do more reading to educate myself on this .:)

You're most welcome and glad you got it working.  Remember, this forum is for beginners as well as the seasoned enthusiast!

Once you have port forwarding down, you will need to learn about VPN, as it's more secure! ;)

I recently started a thread on that and hope to have a solution for myself soon.

Back