Elk M1 12-pin "flying lead" wire harness

kutties

Hi,

I am in need of a 12-pin wire harness for the J6 connector of the M1 Gold. I need to connect some relays to this. Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase one of those and any part number for the same?

If not, then how would I go about connecting something to this connector? If I have to look for a connector on my own, then would anyone know the industry standard name for that sort of connector?

I am a noob and would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Elk does not list that part separately on their website and if I remember correctly it comes with the M1 so it might be hard to get a hold of.

Maybe some of the installers here will have a few extras and sell you one. If not, you might have to email or call Elk.

gatchel said:
Elk does not list that part separately on their website and if I remember correctly it comes with the M1 so it might be hard to get a hold of.

Maybe some of the installers here will have a few extras and sell you one. If not, you might have to email or call Elk.

Thanks!

Let me check my ELK packing box once I get back home tonight. Should have done that before posting here, but the thought didn't cross my mind.

I believe it is included with the Elk-M1RB.  It is a molex connector of some sort (something like this), although that is a generic term.  If someone has one maybe they can get you the exact part number off of the molex connector...

12834.jpg

wuench said:
I believe it is included with the Elk-M1RB.  It is a molex connector of some sort (something like this), although that is a generic term.  If someone has one maybe they can get you the exact part number off of the molex connector...

Thanks!

Yes, I understand that. But I want to use the ELK 912 series single relays distributed over an area (to be closer to the load they are supposed to control).

kutties said:
Thanks!

Yes, I understand that. But I want to use the ELK 912 series single relays distributed over an area (to be closer to the load they are supposed to control).
Let us know if you have any problems with those relays.  I think I remember having problems switching those with the Elk outputs and switched to the Elk 924's.

wuench said:

I don't believe it is a true Molex connector.  It also doesn't appear to be Berg or AMP.  There is no part number or manufacturer's logo on the one I have.

This seems to match the connector I have:

http://www.futurlec.com/ConnPolHead.shtml

Item: POLHDCON12

http://www.futurlec.com/Connectors/POLHDCON12.shtml

This is just the shell. You also need to order PLHDPIN pins to go with it.  And then crimp them to your own wires.

RAL said:
I don't believe it is a true Molex connector.  It also doesn't appear to be Berg or AMP.  There is no part number or manufacturer's logo on the one I have.

This seems to match the connector I have:

http://www.futurlec.com/ConnPolHead.shtml

Item: POLHDCON12

http://www.futurlec.com/Connectors/POLHDCON12.shtml

This is just the shell. You also need to order PLHDPIN pins to go with it.  And then crimp them to your own wires.

Thanks! I will give this a shot.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Let us know if you have any problems with those relays.  I think I remember having problems switching those with the Elk outputs and switched to the Elk 924's.

DELInstallations said:
A single one wouldn't be an issue, but multiple 912's will.

You need a sensitive TTL relay for the triggers.

Well, I haven't bought the relays yet; so I can go with the 924 if needed. The 912 specs says that it requires only 30ma and will pull in at 9V; I thought the M1G can sink 50ma at 12V and hence should not be an issue if I use only one relay per output. Understand that I cannot use multiple relays on each of the M1 outputs. However, it may be safer to go with 924.

Has anyone here using the Seco-larm relays? Looks like they have equivalents for both the 912 and the 924 and are much cheaper that the ELK.

wuench said:

12834.jpg
I'd have to disagree with this one. It comes with the M1control board. The the term flying leads means that the leads (wires) have no connector on one end and are for you to use with whatever you want to wire them to.

The M1 RB has a connector to connector harness.

BraveSirRobbin said:
I know it's a bit more money, but you might want to consider just getting a relay expander board (for the long run).

Agreed.

BraveSirRobbin said:
I know it's a bit more money, but you might want to consider just getting a relay expander board (for the long run).

No, it is not about the money, but more about convenience. I would like to have the relays closer to the load they are controlling to avoid the long run of (higher) power cables from ELK location to various load locations. If I use separate relays near the load, then I can just run the (lower current) control signal over alarm cables.

Back