Elk M1 and/or the ISY-99?

tal1412

I’ve been considering upgrading my home alarm system to an Elk M1 for a couple of months. I discovered this site while doing Google searches for info and feedback on the M1 panel. There appears to be a wealth of info here, with some qualified members. I am hoping you can help me out on a few issues/concerns that I have.

My primary need is for a new alarm panel, but I’m leaning towards the Elk due to its automation/controller capabilities. I am recently retired and I expect to be traveling a lot more so I’m hoping this new system will give me some piece of mind while I’m gone by monitoring my sump pump pit, home temperature, status of my standby automatic generator, etc. At this point I have little in the way of home automation. I have a few X-10 modules for basic lights on/off type of stuff. I expect that to become more of an issue when I have a more sophisticated panel.

Some of the features that I see in the M1 that I need are 16 on board inputs, custom voice messages based upon events, event logger, multiple outputs, etc. The alarm panel functions and the telephone dialing are items that I am very familiar with as I spent over 20 years installing Radionics/Bosch series 8112 & 7400 series control panels. Some of the features that I want in my new control panel are the ability to program and check status via the Internet, from anywhere in the world. I also want the capability to have the panel send me emails upon certain events.

I currently have DSL service in my home with a small wireless router. My ISP provider is AT&T. I use them for my email account. My intent is to have a system that I can log into while traveling, and that will send me emails when there is a problem. My original plan was to buy an M1 with the M1XEP module. However, I’ve been reading many threads here that are making me re-consider. It seems as though setting up the email capability of the M1 is a real challenge. I’ve also read comments that indicate that the M1 can only be accessed from my own internal LAN, rather than from anywhere in the world. I've also read threads that say that it can be accessed from outside my LAN? I’m not a network expert, but I do have a basic understanding of networking. Addressing basic network programming is OK, but if it’s situation where I need to be a network programmer to configure my panel, I’ll need some assistance. I’ve also read some interesting threads touting the advantages of the ISY-99 controller. After doing some basic research on-line about the ISY-99, I’m still not sure how/why it would be helpful to have an ISY-99 if I have a M1.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me out with.
  • Is the M1XEP module stable? Can it be setup correctly by someone with basic network knowledge?
  • Will the M1XEP allow me to access my M1 panel from anywhere in the world? Can it send me emails upon certain events occurring?
  • Is the ISY-99 a substitute for the M1XEP as far as providing an internet connection to the M1 panel? Can the ISY-99 send me emails based upon events that occur in the M1? Do I need the M1XEP to connect to the internet if I have the ISY-99?
  • Is the ISY-99 stable and is it easy to set up?
  • Do I need both the ISY-99 and the M1 to accomplish what I want to do?
Any answers would be appreciated. I’m also interested in any general feedback on both products.
Thanks
Tom

1. Yes and Yes.
2a.With proper configuration of your router or a VPN tunnel. yes...
2b. With the M1 you get 16 emails with the XEP, thats it. 16 different messages are possible there is no "send alarm zone" email variable. This is where the ISY comes in....

3a. The ISY and the M1 are an excellent pairing. The M1 provides a way to connect things cleanly with out a bunch of IOLincs
3b. You will need to spend an extra $100 for the M1 add on module for the ISY. It is well worth it.
3c. You can connect to the ISY and monitor the M1 or turn on outputs, etc.

4 Very stable and easy to set up. Small learning curve but you should have no problem.

5 Both would be the best option in the long run. It's not cheap at first but you can pretty much do anything you want once you have the combo. If you cant figure it out. Once of the Elk owners/guru's that are here in there forums will probably be able to do it.

I almost forgot. Welcome to the forums. Google was good to me when I was doing the same research. That's how I found this site also.

gatchel,
Thanks for the feedback.
RE: the M1 email capability...Are those 16 emails "canned" messages like system reports, or are they something that can be linked to specific zone/action? My goal would be to have it send me an email that clearly identified that my sump pit water level was high...either with custom text or at least saying "alarm zone XX".

If the XEP can't do that, can the ISY do it?

It looks like you're saying I can get to the M1 via the internet with the ISY and that I don't need the XEP for that feature? What's the main benefit of the XEP? Allows easier programming via PC?
Thanks

If Elk would provide a Zone Name variable for text strings, this would eliminate majority of XEP/email related complaints (i.e., hopefully product manager at Elk is reading this post). I haven’t used all 16 zones yet. I suspect the majority of users haven’t either.

I use NextAlarm text message feature which is not restricted – you can create a notification only alarm zone. This is acomplished using the Aux zone type and changing NextAlarm's configured response to "Log Only".

The biggest benefit for XEP is ability to integrate third party controllers using publicly available API without having to restrict link to single RS-232 connection.

At one time, the ISY folks had a Z-Wave controller on the books. This would have been a great product to expand Z-Wave capabilities. In reading many posts on this forum, the ISY uses the Elk API to its fullest and shares Elk high uptime traits.

Drawbacks of the Elk are the canned/limited email messages and the "custom" voice is pretty much a worthless feature, logging also leaves a lot to be desired. As a matter of fact, most of the canned voice messages become annoying after a while. It is these areas that the Elk shows it's alarm system/PLC roots which are looking pretty grey. The ISY and Elk module can help you with email limitations if you put your rules there.

However as a security system and input/output/etc basis for an automation panel it is pretty great. You can port forward your web interface with the latest firmware and it seems to work (ports 2601, 26,80 forwarded). However most people tend to rely on additional software (iphone/android apps, HA software, etc) and not he stock M1XEP web interface. A layer of HA software on top of the Elk makes up for it's shortcomings.

The Elk+ISY are a match made in heaven. You can add an Elk add on software modules that provides two way monitor/control of the Elk directly from the ISY. The ISY makes up for some of the Elk panels limitations. Not to mention the touch control apps like eKeypad Pro and Mobilinc HD make it fun.

Besides with the two installed in your home you can do things like voice control of you home automation system using Siri.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXmCiaRc9XU

Enjoy!

Elvis

You have to have the xep unit. The ISY uses the LAN connection for all of its comm with Elk.

With ISY and its Elk module, you massively increase your email/texting abilities. Elk natively only offers 16 static email messages (you control what is in the message and what causes it to be sent, but the message itself is only alterable during configuration).

Using ISY, you can include variables in your emails (like zone status, zone volts, outputs status, etc), and you are not limited in the number of emails (within reason of course, not sure what the upper limit is, but it would be way more than any normal person would ever want).

Back