Premise ELK M1 Device Driver

Motorola Premise
...I tried the AutoDiscovery, but it's not functioning well. I didn't see the word "true" momentoraly but I did look at the "spy" window for COM1 and it seems to communicate with M1 and received back from M1.

If you have the time, please let me know what went wrong with the Discovery function. Your results will help me improve it.

It is normal to see "true" appear momentarily when the Discovery property is clicked. It is a 'trigger' and behaves like an "OK" button. Once clicked, it sends the M1 a long list of commands asking for the status of areas, zones, outputs, PLC devices, etc. All responses from the M1 are used to update the driver's resources. A Discovery is also performed after you exit ELK RP. The traffic you saw in the Port Spy indicates the driver and the M1 are communicating.

I understand your reservations about using a discontinued product. I initially felt the same way but after I discovered what Premise could do, and how much I could modify it, I didn't feel I needed to buy a commercial product. It met my needs.

I don't know of any Linux-based commercial HA apps, but there are two popular free versions, namely LinuxMCE and MisterHouse. You can adapt this code for use with Misterhouse and the ELK M1 (just the basic plumbing; there's no Discovery or other handy features) ... I believe Neil Cherry started adapting it about a year ago.

Both PowerHome and HouseBot, commercial products selling for under $100 and offering support, can communicate with an M1. PowerHome's M1 driver is native whereas Housebot's is a user-submitted script. You can build custom GUI's with HouseBot, but like Homeseer, you need to buy another product to provide custom GUI's for PowerHome. Yep, it's tough finding an inexpensive product that does everything!

Hmm... I Googled

"PowerHome" "Windows Media Center" "Home Automation"

and it didn't turn out that well. HomeSeer has a Windows Media Center 2005 plug-in but it's not free.

Cinemar's MainLobby/MLServer doesn't seem to have a plugin for Windows Media Center, so a search didn't turn out that well, either.

I'm a Windows Media Center type of guy who loves the look and feel of Windows Media Center under Vista -- much better looking than Windows Media Center 2005 for XP MCE.

Anyway, back on-topic.

When I set the network to COM1, enter my master code, and clicked DiscoveryNow, all the objects are not named, including Area, Keypad, zones (the first zone is analog), my tasks, etc. I chose a 6-digit security code, which is not updated in the properties of Elk_Panel. I did have 5 settings in the global option set to "yes." Sometimes, when I rediscover, I saw the duplicate "Keypad_1" with duplicated function names like:

Function_1
Function_2
Function_3
Function_4
Function_1
Function_2
Function_3
Function_4

So I had to delete the duplicates. I have outputs, thermostats, and temperature deselected before the discovery, because for outputs, I don't have any outputs other than my siren.

Well, your Elk M1 driver is still a beta, though, so for my experience, it's pretty much for tinkerers, only. But that's just my opinion. What this means to me is I don't think it's ready for home automation users to get into Premise and put Elk M1 to use right away. With mControl and HomeSeer (had to download a trial version of UltraM1G; no big deal, but if only it were free, as $199 for HomeSeer is a lot of money for me), it takes a couple of minutes to get it setup and ready to use.

Wow! Those are the worst reported results so far! :) I guess it'd be cold comfort to hear that it works well for me.

The degree of failure you've described indicates a fundamental communications problem. I know that if we were to work together, we'd be able to resolve it. However, it appears you've already moved on so I won't waste your time with additional questions. Good luck with your evaluations!

Well, it's alright. If there are more beta testers who have a lot of free time, then there'd be a lot of improvements to your driver

But thanks. :)

By the way, how did it work very well for you? Did you have to input all information, like name your area, zones, keypads, etc. after you do a discovery?

Maybe it is dependent on your setup? Do you have more than one computer for testing?

I wish I could help but your previous post suggests assistance I'm unable to provide. Good luck with your search for the ideal solution.

I can't recall if this driver also includes support for xbrowser? I am using the Ademco driver that came with Premise on my alarm panel and want to be able to access the panel over my PDA. The only way that seems to make sense is via xbrowser, but it seems that this support isn't available by default. I was wondering if your driver included this support and if you could point me where to begin adding support for the Ademco panel.

By the way I love your addition to the alarm panel in Premise.

Thanks mate.

Kaz

Kaz,

Your PDA will probably need to use either Minibrowser, a Module developed by the Premise team, or Xbrowser, a Module developed by Rob Brun (based on Minibrowser). Both modules are replacements for AutomationBrowser and are designed to create a user-interface for (almost) any device with a web browser.

Their purpose is the same as AutomationBrowser, namely to render a user-interface for all Premise objects. The main problem with Minibrowser and Xbrowser is that they render some but not all Premise objects. They do not render the one you need: the SecuritySystem ControlPanel. This is the generic keypad that serves as the UI for all security panels supported by Premise (Ademco, HAI, CADDX, ELK).

I did create an enhanced SecuritySystem ControlPanel but it is exclusively for AutomationBrowser.

FWIW, if you are familiar with web development, it shouldn't be too difficult to add support for the SecuritySystem object in Xbrowser.

Where can I find the driver? I don't see it in the premise download section with all of the other modules. Thanks!

PS: I have an older version of premise, or so I think. Where can I find the application that you all are using? Thanks!

Where can I find the driver? ... Where can I find the application ...
  • Have a look at the Premise Home Control Wiki.
  • Click the Download Latest Stable Release link to get the last released version of Premise Home Control (free).
  • The External Links section points to an external repository of tutorials, (reformatted) documentation, Premise installer, driver SDK, etc.
  • Most of my drivers are now posted in the Premise Downloads section (with the notable exception of the ELK M1 driver).
The ELK M1 driver is attached to the first post of this thread; however, I plan to remove it and post a slightly upgraded version to the Premise Downloads section Real Soon Now. :) The new version has no visible new functionality and simply incorporates a few lines of revised code to handle the SmartPalmPad module. To ensure success, be sure to read the Reference Manual before installing the driver.

FWIW
There's one bug I'm aware of that I haven't bothered to fix (yet). If the connection between Premise and the M1 is interrupted (in my house that happens very rarely ... hence the "I haven't bothered to fix it" part) there's a chance that the last (or first) received packet from the M1 will become corrupted. Currently, the driver's packet verification code doesn't handle mangled packets gracefully and will cause Premise to log a "your driver stumbled at this line of code" event. Things don't come to a screeching halt but corrupted packets should be handled with less fanfare.

Where can I find the driver? ... Where can I find the application ...
  • Have a look at the Premise Home Control Wiki.
  • Click the Download Latest Stable Release link to get the last released version of Premise Home Control (free).
  • The External Links section points to an external repository of tutorials, (reformatted) documentation, Premise installer, driver SDK, etc.
  • Most of my drivers are now posted in the Premise Downloads section (with the notable exception of the ELK M1 driver).
The ELK M1 driver is attached to the first post of this thread; however, I plan to remove it and post a slightly upgraded version to the Premise Downloads section Real Soon Now. :) The new version has no visible new functionality and simply incorporates a few lines of revised code to handle the SmartPalmPad module. To ensure success, be sure to read the Reference Manual before installing the driver.

FWIW
There's one bug I'm aware of that I haven't bothered to fix (yet). If the connection between Premise and the M1 is interrupted (in my house that happens very rarely ... hence the "I haven't bothered to fix it" part) there's a chance that the last (or first) received packet from the M1 will become corrupted. Currently, the driver's packet verification code doesn't handle mangled packets gracefully and will cause Premise to log a "your driver stumbled at this line of code" event. Things don't come to a screeching halt but corrupted packets should be handled with less fanfare.

123, I finally decided to add an Elk to my home, and I have an odd issue with the Premise module. I can't seem to get a response form the Elk, in both the debug view and a serial port monitor, I can see the commands sent to the Elk, but I don't get any response. If I connect Elk-RP with the same port, I have no issue, but with the Premise module, the Elk never responds.

Any idea? Thanks for all the effort on the Premise front, it looks to be an incredibly versatile tool, that everyone here keeps making better.

... I can't seem to get a response form the Elk, in both the debug view and a serial port monitor, I can see the commands sent to the Elk, but I don't get any response. If I connect Elk-RP with the same port, I have no issue, but with the Premise module, the Elk never responds.
Check "Configuration/ELK M1 Settings" on page 4 of the driver's Reference Manual. It describes ELK M1 settings that must be activated so that the M1 broadcasts its operations. These settings need not be activated for ELK-RP to function properly. However, they are required for the driver to receive status information from the M1.

... I can't seem to get a response form the Elk, in both the debug view and a serial port monitor, I can see the commands sent to the Elk, but I don't get any response. If I connect Elk-RP with the same port, I have no issue, but with the Premise module, the Elk never responds.
Check "Configuration/ELK M1 Settings" on page 4 of the driver's Reference Manual. It describes ELK M1 settings that must be activated so that the M1 broadcasts its operations. These settings need not be activated for ELK-RP to function properly. However, they are required for the driver to receive status information from the M1.

I didn't have G35 checked, but the rest were. I attempted again, but got the same results. I rebooted the M1 as well with no improvement.

Is it possible to sent a simple command to the Elk from a terminal program and receive an identification or firmware response? I'm not sure where my mistake is, any other ideas?

Cheers,
Rob

How is your PC connected to your M1? Is it a serial or network connection?

Network (M1-XEP)
If the M1's address is 192.168.0.251, you can connect to it like so: telnet 192.168.0.251 2101
You can also use Hyperterminal. Set "Connect using" to TCP/IP, "Host Address" to 192.168.0.251, and "Port" to 2101.

Serial
Use Hyperterminal and set "Connect using" to the appropriate COM port. Ensure the serial port settings match those used by the M1.

If you're using an M1-XEP, you should see the "XK" command broadcasted every 30 seconds. Arm/disarm the M1 and the corresponding commands will be displayed in the telnet/hyperterminal session.

Let me know your results and we'll take it from there.

Back