Elk M1 Humidity sensor

It's hard finding a nice looking wall mount enclosure for this since it needs to have good airflow. I want to be sure I read room air temperature and humidity and not what's inside the wall.

I'm open to all suggestions!
This is a decent mount -- at least, it is reasonably tasteful and meets the airflow requirement. I have a couple of these. They are no more obtrusive than a wall switch.
http://www.proliphix.com/Collateral/Docume...pec%20Sheet.pdf

Attachments

• encl.jpg
    encl.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for all the input. I'm working with a friend to get this design together. The hardest part is finding a suitable enclosure. At this time I'm leaning toward something that can fit into a standard Decora plate. (of course, any other suggestions are welcome) We may also produce the unit without packaging for anyone that wishes to put it in their own enclosure.

This will be a combined humidity and temperature sensor and will have a few special features added in. I have to be sure that these features work properly before announcing them.

Hopefully in a few weeks we'll have at least a rough BOM cost. I hope to keep it under $100 with packaging. That cost would vary with the quantity we produce.

Thanks,
Joe

Thanks for all the input. I'm working with a friend to get this design together. The hardest part is finding a suitable enclosure. At this time I'm leaning toward something that can fit into a standard Decora plate. (of course, any other suggestions are welcome) We may also produce the unit without packaging for anyone that wishes to put it in their own enclosure.

This will be a combined humidity and temperature sensor and will have a few special features added in. I have to be sure that these features work properly before announcing them.

Hopefully in a few weeks we'll have at least a rough BOM cost. I hope to keep it under $100 with packaging. That cost would vary with the quantity we produce.

Thanks,
Joe

Maybe you could create a gmail address and post it here so that we can send you a message to get onto a mailing list for updates?

Also, it would be good if you set it up so that the enclosure could accept a cat5e wire or rj45 connection, then use as many of the wires as possible; throw in a light sensor for one pair of the wires maybe? The last set of wires we could use for a status LED or something.

Oh and I just thought of one last suggestion:
I think that it should be "weather-proof" so that we could install it outside without worrying about it.

We are actively developing the sensor now. We ultimately will be making this a wireless sensor in a nice (wife approved) package that you can just stick on the wall like a thermostat.

A wired sensor is easier and will be lower cost. How much interest is there in the wired vs: wireless sensor? If wireless is preferred then we will put more effort there first.

A wireless sensor will require a both the sensor and a dedicated receiver at the panel (increasing cost). Current design is a multiple zone receiver (maybe 8 or more) that will talk to multiple wireless sensors. There are other products on our roadmap that will use the wireless design. (more details on wireless network later)

We are currently designing an indoor-only sensor that can be mounted in a weather protecting enclosure for outdoor use.

A website will be available soon to keep everyone informed of our progress.

Thanks for all the interest!

Joe

I use Johson Controls humidy sensors to control some dehumidifiers. Here's a picture of the wall mount, not the prettiest thing, but very effective of reading the actual humidity.

sensor

Currently, a humidity sensor is reported back to the M1 using a temperature channel. There are also some iButton one wire humidity sensors that can use the M1KPAS access module with one wire capability to get the humidity reporting on one of the 16 temperature channels.

Back