ElkRMS

blmxm

Hi All,

So my TP2 is getting a bit long in the tooth. The touch screen has some dead spots and it has to be re-flashed every quarter or so as it just gets flakey. As my provider has a windows phone or win7 phone available I checked with Elk to see if RMS will run on the updated platform and was advised that it won't. Now from what I gather the newer platform uses silverlight which actually still runs on top of the latest netcf, and if I understand correctly it would be possible to port the existing program to the new platform. I hoped that Elk would be ahead of this curve, but whether they update the software in the near future is unclear, and win8 is already on the horizon. So I am looking for alternatives.
Frankly I'm just not an apple kinda guy so the iphone is unlikely which leaves android, unless someone knows of another windows based app.
That said I have seen the elkdroid and mykeypad apps and I am concerned that it appears that in both of those, it is possible to disarm the system without being forced to enter a user code as you need to do with RMS. I have been very careful about programming my wireless FOBs so that if one were to be in the wrong hands the best you could do is gain entry to the garage. After two minutes if you have not continued to the keypad and disarmed the system, the garage closes and re-arms to away, and additional presses of the FOB unlock will not function. So to have a phone that can disarm the system without requiring a valid user code is a non-starter for me. I'd love to say that no one in our household has ever left their phone in their car but the reality is that just isn't true.
So can anyone enlighten me as to whether either of these apps allow you to force the use of a user code to disarm, or if there are any other software options out there? You can include iphone stuff as I am only aware of ekeypad, but I would have to be enamored to move in that direction. Windows would be my preferred platform but hoping elk will update RMS in the future isn't going to work for me right now.
Thanks for your input!

With eKeypad on the iPhone / iPad, I can arm the system without a valid code (because I programmed a valid code in the setup options), but to disarm I still need to enter in my code.

My devices are also PIN protected, so they cannot even get into the application without first entering the PIN.

There aren't many die-hard WM fans still out there - you're a hold-out. That said, every die-hard I've known that's held out until they just ran out of options have been glad when they finally got over it and tried something new. Microsoft doesn't know how to build a mobile OS. Most I know have gone apple; some have gone Droid... but every one I've known has literally spent weeks, or longer, talking about how glad they are they finally switched. I'm not exaggerating here - as the head of IT for a very large company, I dealt with this a lot - from the senior execs down.

If you really think you're a tinkerer, then you'd probably like droid. If you've held out because you're afraid of change and very comfortable, go apple. There are suitable apps for both that are way more friendly than RMS

There are suitable apps for both that are way more friendly than RMS

Actually I am not "afraid" nor a "holdout". I'm not what I would even consider a fan of WM. I'm an engineer and my phone is just another tool for me. And "if it ain't broke don't fix it" works for me.
When I purchased the TP2 because it was to be able to run RMS, and it was the only game in town that I was aware of 2 plus years ago. In reading my OP I can see how one could think I was attached to WM, but the fact is I am more than anything pissed that RMS doesn't support the new OS. I hate having to purchase new software every time I update hardware.

The main jist of my post is to request info on any other app options out there, and my concerns about the two droid apps I am aware of. I listed elkdroid, mykeypad, and ekeypad. What other "suitable apps" are you aware of, and can you address my questions about the droid apps as to whether it is possible to require a passcode to disarm with them?

I'm kind of in the same mode I was when I bought the TP2. I want to purchase a device that will provide acceptable access to the M1 when I'm on the road, and do the other bits I need. The platform / OS is less important. As I stated before however, I've used apple products including the iphone, and I don't care for them. It is not completely ruled out right now, just a statement of my preferences.

Back