Elk's new web page

I registered again and they were good about getting me Levels 1,2, and3. This is vital to me to understand all the various moduals I will need prior to placing a big order for all this stuff.

I understand their need to control access to their security info. I helps protect all of us users with their security info. I bit of a hassle, but in the end worth it.

FYI....

New user name and new password only work on the NEW site (your old bookmarks will take you to the old site = > where they won't work).

Update your bookmarks.

i didn’t seem to have any problems. i registered via the new website and got access to everything just as before. the first level is immediate and levels two and three approx 4 hrs later. i have a registered M1. Seems it would be a pity to pass on a platform such as this due to having to register and then sign in. most forums seem this way.

You must have a business relationship with ELK. It wasn't that easy for me.

It it my belief that the individual is being locked out of access to Elk. If your a distributor or do this for a bussiness then they'll hook ya right up. If it was done to weed out tech support time or something like that then I'd understand, given the economy. Instead through much dicussion, they made it clear to me it's about changing their relationships with individuals versus those signed up as distribution channels. Personally, I won't pay someone else to expand or maintain my system. Thats why ELK ruled when I bought into them. Personally, they've burn't up a lot of good will on my part. I wish them well, but plan to keep my options open.

I submitted my request today and received almost immediately level 1 access. then a few hours later I got level 2 access.

Does anyone know what each level gains access to? ex. am I missing something by not having level 3?

I'm not sure what the three levels mean. I got all three. Try different options on the website, and if you are blocked from one, PM me and I'll see if I can access.

I signed up for access that was granted pretty quickly. BUT...

I received an email from ELK stating I had been given access that included my username AND PASSWORD in clear text!

I then received an email for me to verify my interest in receiving the monthly newsletter. This email contained not only my username AND PASSWORD, but my address and phone number as well.

Email is like sending a post card! I can not remember any company ever sending my password in plain text.

Can someone explain this? They are a security company.

CT

I signed up for access that was granted pretty quickly. BUT...

I received an email from ELK stating I had been given access that included my username AND PASSWORD in clear text!

I then received an email for me to verify my interest in receiving the monthly newsletter. This email contained not only my username AND PASSWORD, but my address and phone number as well.

Email is like sending a post card! I can not remember any company ever sending my password in plain text.

Can someone explain this? They are a security company.

CT

I would "guess" that the website is outsourced. Elk may not be aware of this practice.

I would agree with Digger.

But, a password isn't very secure at many websites. I assume the people who operate websites have access to my passwords.

Many manufacturer websites use the same ID and password for everyone, as just a hurdle to limit access from the public.

There is definitely another company involved (at least for the e-mail marketing). That said, this is why you use strong passwords everywhere, and make sure they aren't similar ANYWHERE. Granted, this could lead to hundreds of passwords you have to remember, but that's why you use KeePass :mellow:

There is definitely another company involved (at least for the e-mail marketing). That said, this is why you use strong passwords everywhere, and make sure they aren't similar ANYWHERE. Granted, this could lead to hundreds of passwords you have to remember, but that's why you use KeePass :mellow:

Yep, that is great advice. I use lastpass and all of my passwords look something like "vkQY2zKkhp". Of course, make sure you don't loose your master password! That would be fun.

not to Hijack this thread, but Another item would be make sure you backup you password file! My laptop crashed last year and I almost panicked when I went to get into a few websites... I was Glad I had a backup from the week before!

Has anyone figured out yet what Level 3 is? I was approved for Level 1 and 2, and seem to have access to everything (but maybe they are just not showing Level 3 functions to begin with)

I think level 1 = consumer
level 2 = Professional Installer
level 3 = Distributor

Most DIYers would probably only need access to level 1 & 2.

They gave me level 2. I had to send them my units serial number to be approved. And, yes, they did put my username and password out there.

I think level 1 = consumer
level 2 = Professional Installer
level 3 = Distributor

Most DIYers would probably only need access to level 1 & 2.

Well I don't know if this is right. I submitted my request as an Installer and got approved for all three levels. So that blows my theory out of the water.

Back