Espresso Making preferences

I'm one of those K-Cup users. I use a Bunn "My Cafe"  brewer. I'm lucky that I can manage to get the cup in the machine and push the button first thing in the morning never mind grinding and pressing and cleaning up after myself. But I have to admit that the best coffee that I have ever made myself I'd say that it was from a french press.

Mike.

Yup; I use three of those tiny pouches to get what I wanted to taste; such that they are a waste.

Prep has gone from minutes before working hands but not head stuff to just the quickie clean and set up for the next morning stuff after my one cup of expresso.

I was privy (well vacation time) once to check out a very old place on the Pacific side of Latin America.  It started initially a bit low on the WAF.  Originally it was trying to get as close as possible to a volcano (Colima) It was a tour of a group of 8 of us.  We did make friends with a couple touring the world (from the UK) in their 70's which upped the WAF.  Dense jungle drive on some  unpaved road.  It was a company / family that moved there from the EU in the 1800's.  Generation after generation they had stayed.  The equipment there looked very old and was very functional.  They did have these dogs everywhere all breed from the first generation brought over in the 1800's.  Most amazing was a picture of one dog that looked identical to the dog I was petting while gazing at old pictures there.  Their business and reason for their being was coffee. 

Geez....listening to some afternoon news from the BBS.  At the hour was mentioned "Expresso Coffee" in space.

Googling found this:

Scientists Have Worked Out How To Make Espresso In Space

Posted yesterday by Jack Lowe (Saturday, November 22, 2014)

Up until now becoming an astronaut had one major downside - good fresh coffee can't be made in space. To solve the problem, coffee giant Lavazza teamed up with the Italian Space Agency (because who else would place such importance on coffee) and Turin-based engineering company, Argotech, to design a zero-gravity ISSpresso machine that can brew delicious coffee for astronauts as they orbit.

“ISSpresso is a technological achievement that conforms to the technical requirements and ultra-strict security measures imposed on us by the Italian space agency,” said David Avino, Argotec’s director general, who helped solve the problem of getting liquids to flow at the correct pressure in zero gravity.

The 20kg machine is due to be delivered to the International Space Station this weekend.

coffeemachine_space_01.jpg

How to make espresso in space

Funny listening to the Espresso machine in space interview the BBS reporter asked about it being natural diuretic.  The answer was not to drink the Espresso before a space walk or if done having to wear a "space" diaper (which no one walking in space wants to do).

Espresso vs. expresso

Expresso started as a misspelling of espresso, which came to English from Italian and refers to a strong, pressure-brewed coffee. But because expresso has so often appeared in place of espresso, we can perhaps consider it a variant. And indeed, some dictionaries now list it as such. This doesn’t change the fact that many English speakers consider expresso wrong, however, and some will no doubt continue to do so no matter how common it becomes. So if you don’t want anyone to think you’re wrong, espresso is the safer choice.

It’s also worth noting that expresso is the French word for the pressure-brewed coffee, and this perhaps has had some small influence on English usage.

And a bit of humor....Nest-spresso..when you need your chicken fix; now

http://youtu.be/0O0ooXnyQMw

Testing this morning my Espresso morning dose.

1 currently make 16oz for my little coffee cup using one of these.  Just purchased this one last week as the old one worked but was too small.  I am OK with the flavor. 

16OZ.jpg

Found the Krups maker.  Noticed the box was opened but it appears that I never tried using it.  It was a gift from a few years back.

Krups.jpg

Made one / two shots of Espresso with it.  It also comes with a little pod holder /  filter.  I tried it with a pod and finely ground espresso coffee.

It was good but only for a taste of what I normally drink every morning. 

Yep, the Moka pots do a surprisingly decent job.

JUST DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE DISHWASHER.  Modern detergents will wreck the finish on that aluminum.  I've one that suffered that fate, along with a pizza pan, at the hands of she-who-won't-be-named...

The one-shot machines like that Krups always seemed like more trouble than they're worth.  All that rigamarole... and it ends up being rather mediocre.  No decent crema (most usually due to lack of pressure), too cold and much too long between shots due to the one-heater design.  Especially when compared to using the Moka pots.  Largely the same result, taste-wise, but in a larger amount, from a much less expensive device.

I struggle to feed myself 3 times/day with my hectic work/family schedule... for me a Keurig is the best thing on earth - make my 2-3 cups of coffee/week - sometimes more; sometimes it'll sit for months. 

Yup; tried again yesterday and it was three double's to fill my cup with the Krups.  For now the Krups has been put back in the box. 

wkearney99 said:
Pfft, I'll trade an over-priced, finicky automatic coffee maker over having staff any day of the week.  Machine drama is far less stress-inducing.

For the simple approach I've read a lot folks are happy with the results from an Aeropress.  Yes, from the same company that invented the Aerobie frisbee.
I really like the Aeropress. With it you can fiddle with every variable until you finally find success. Fresh roasted coffee from Tonx (now Blue Bottle), in-sink-erator instant hot water dispenser set to 190 degrees, 6 scoops of coffee into the Baratza grinder, set to 12 - success for me.

It's simple to clean, and portable. It travels with me, where practical.

Thank-you 206.

Yeah today noticed (pay attention to) the build of the Krups maker as I put it away.  Its OK but not really as nicely put together as other stuff I have.

I like the almost hand made quality of stuff and its typically worth the money paid for it.  IE: one automobile I have appears to almost have been hand made.  I found a signature of one person inside the door with a date of "construction".  I have never seen this before; then too only have taken one door apart. 

Went back to the large Bialetti (6 cups of expresso in one endeavor).  Noticed while as simple as it is; it is made well.  Bigger than the old one its just a bit difficult to open up sometimes after use.

I have a french press (portable a bit) used to use it for work if and when I drank coffee in the afternoon.

I am searching now for a compact 6 shot automated expresso maker made to last more than a year of use.  (thinking the Krups would probably last 6 months if I used it every day for one shot of espresso.)

My Dad was a radar tech back in WW2, for the Navy.  When fixing a B29 radar unit, beyond the recommended level of detail, he got into a part of the unit that was on a mounting plate.  Under which he found a paper note that read:  "If you're this far in, you're fucked."   With some pride he told of actually fixing it, and having the Raytheon folks ask how (because it was not supposed to be field serviceable, at all).  Never did get that part from him.

So notes inside of gear are not uncommon, or new.  No doubt someone digging up something from ancient Rome likewise came across something similar...

He also had a good story about getting coffee... I'll post that another time.

My home office desk here is an antique from the 1930's.  It appears to be a large commercial office desk.  It was redone in the 1940's by some couple that wrote their names/dates under one of the drawers.  I didn't notice this until years later.   I purchased it in the 1970's.  All I did to it was put a custom cut glass cover on it. (edges are a bit rounded).  

Today purchased a variety of espresso beans at the local grocery store (curiousity).  I didn't even know that they sold coffee beans there.

Thank-you ND.  Very nice looking.  It's a bit more modern looking than the recent purchase and probably would be a higher WAF.  I chose the current Bialetti cuz it looked like the small one that I had.

I had a few test espresso beans and boxes (literally) of a variety of espresso pods for my current testing.

This afternoon purchased more espresso beans (a variety).

I had a couple of coffee bean grinders in the kitchen (well put away and found by wife).

I've got a Capresso Infinity burr grinder and it does a fantastic job.  Spans the range from fine for espresso to coarse for french press.  Very even grinds, which you won't get from lower-end blade style gizmos.  They're just choppers, they don't actually grind.  It's got a good WAF too.  Easy to fill, easy to operate and easy to clean.  Pricier than some, but you know the rule three...

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:791]

I bought this in Italy around 1970. I make 5~10 cups a day with it and it is still pumping out perfect espresso. 

bucko said:

I bought this in Italy around 1970. I make 5~10 cups a day with it and it is still pumping out perfect espresso. 

Now that's an espresso machine!  I've toyed with the idea of getting a lever, but we do so many milk based drinks that it really wouldn't get the use it deserves.  My dual boiler La Spaziale is really the perfect machine for us, but I always think the lever's are sexy.

Back