Even Staples getting into HA

Well put. Critical, but reasonable in how you worded it.

(Sorry for the deletes, the lag time between posts and their appearing leads to reusing the submit button)

Hmm $50 is a nice price and definitely possible to turn it into an open source Insteon controller, possibly more.

I came across this article with some updated info. http://www.securitysales.com/article/staples_connect_hub_slashed_to_49_newer_model_adds_bluetooth_zigbee

The highlights are:
  • Although the first Connect Hub was made by Linksys the next one will be made by D-Link.
  • Original hub sold for $99 but will be reduced to $49 (getting rid of stock?)
  • New hub will be $79
  • Connect will expanded and be sold in all Staples stores
  • New hub will support Zigbee, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Z-Wave and Lutron ClearConnect now and Insteon later (maybe through USB dongle?)
  • Will support ZigBee Light Link protocol like Phillips Hue (implies it may control the Hue without the Hue bridge)
  • New partnership with Jawbone / UP wristband
  • In addition to iDevices, Android and HTML 5, they now support Windows 8 and Samsung Smart TVs as UI

Every company seems to be jumping into these, but is this really "home automation" or is it remote control using your phone?  Yes, maybe unlocking doors remotely or occasionally changing a thermostat setting remotely is handy, but can it respond to events, like turn on the garage lights when the door opens, close blinds when a room heats up too much, or a billion other things based on other events that occur in the house. 

If a home is truly "smart" you shouldn't need to control it from a phone, it should be able to carry out 95% of its tasks with no interaction from me. 

Who is going to buy switch, a hub, and connect it to a phone app. just so that when its dark out they can remotely turn on their lights?  A $5 timer can do that much easier. Staples and others really don't get that, and when they learn this after a year or so, you will see this stuff in their clearance racks.

What's the point you want to make?

All a lot of people want is something simple.  The Clapper sold in droves, y'know... 

Look at it another way, automation hasn't taken off, ask yourself why.

The leap is getting from independent devices to a scheme that "understands" how the occupants want them used.  This is non-trivial, as they say.  Chicken... meet egg.  Putting a lot of controllable devices out there stands to build toward a tipping point.  Standard control protocols for devices is a HUGE first step.  Having them pimped out through retail chains stands to do a lot of good toward getting to the next stage.

I think this is good in one way relating to the introduction of automation for the masses....

is it remote control using your phone?

1 - cell phone companies make a lot of money - once the addiction goes up will make more money
2 - cloud connected is a win win for the vendor selling the product
3 - many folks are tethered to their phones so adding automation is a win win for them.
4 - easy button automation is also a win win.
5 - the choices are becoming endless

Personally I do not depend nor am I tethered to my cell phone for anything these days; but that is me as I am playing with Windows 8.1 now on my cell phone.

It is fun to play with.

Personally I do not depend nor am I tethered to my cell phone for anything these days; but that is me as I am playing with Windows 8.1 now on my cell phone.

Just like you, I keep my cell phone in a place where it won't bother me while sleeping. Under my pillow. :D

I've wired all the light switches in my house so that now they are under my pillow. That way i can control all my lights but i don't have to worry about getting brain cancer or high cell phone fees.

Back