Finally going to have a place to "do it all" on

...Congrats on the new house and the upcoming retirement!

Thanks, but the retirement isn't all that upcoming :lol: I've still got a tad over 5 years left, but I'm hoping I can do it all there. I'm keeping the Texas house as a rental just in case though (let someone else pay the mortgage for the next 5 years). If I make Colonel, there's a 50/50 chance I'll come back to Fort Sam Houston, since about half the Colonel jobs for my branch are here. I need to make Lietuenant Colonel first, though (about 2 years away), so it's not a sure thing.

No matter what happens, we're going to retire in fayetteville, so we're keeping the house for the long term.

I'm sure I'll be making a lot of orders with you in about 18 months (maybe a few small ones this winter for the initial stuff I mentioned). At least I wont have to pay Texas sales tax anymore, though I wont get next day delivery like I have living right down I35 from ya!

Hehe - yeah, true. But at least you still get the military free shipping discount on top of the Cocoontech discount!

Coming through Dallas anytime soon before your next deployment?

Coming through Dallas anytime soon before your next deployment?

I've never made it that far north... I've been up as far as Waco, when I was in the Army-Baylor program (never to Dallas except the airport). I've been tempted by a few beer nd brats flyers, but never have the time to make the trip!

Guys, for my upcoming project, I've been wondering about techniques for getting large bundles of wires through the floor over a crawlspace while maintaining a vermin/weather-proof seal.

The only initial wiring I'll be doing is Dual RG6 to most rooms, single CAT5e (maybe CAT6) to all rooms, with a few double runs to select rooms.

I figure when all is said and done I'll have a bundle of, maybe 12 x RG6 cables and 15 x CAT5e cables. They will all enter the wiring closet - probably - through the floor over a crawlspace, of these, 6 x RG6 and ~ 6 x CAT5e will be coming from upstairs, and may or may not be included in the "through the floor" bundle, but may instead just go from the attic to the 1st floor through a wall, so that could cut the size of the bundle(s) in half.

So, how do I feed these bundles into the house from the crawlspace without making a big honk'n hole for critters and moisture to enter through? I'd rather not install a patch panel under the house, because that seems like it would not last long in that environment, but it would give a good seal. Could I just put a weather-proof box with grommeted entrances for the wire under the house, so that there's not a direct entrance? Or should I use a bunch of cable bushings (I can use dual bushings) and make a bunch of smaller holes?

Also, I've heard something about not having straight runs from one floor to another (in the case of the lines going from attic to 1st-floor wiring closet) because of it creating a route for fire, or is this only the case if you're running conduit?

Now, if I use the closet I want to use as the wiring closet, it shares a wall with the garage... so there's a chance I could run everything to the garage, and then make a more graceful entrance to the wiring closet (and I could dress the stuff up in the garage using some large surface-mounted conduit and boxes).

I'll also be installing a lot of 2 and 4-wire security wire too, as I want to pre-wire all my doors and windows since the security company charges a lot beyond the 3-5 they include with their systems. As I mentioned earlier, I'll probably continue using Brinks/Broadview as I have in my current home for security becuase I like their service and simplicity once installed, especially their GSM module (cellular backup), and central fire monitoring (though I hate their proprietary sensor, installed, cost $200 when I can buy almost the same exact one for less that $40 on my own). I need a system that a 3rd part can maintain once it's installed since Uncle Sam has me away from the house for months and years at a time, and I don't want the wife to have to deal with upkeep... It's bad enough when I have to RDP into my Hometroller from overseas because something stopped working. Security's too important for that kind of issue. I've been examining the various sensors (door/window, glass break, motion, fire/smoke) in the current house to determine which are generic and which are proprietary; so far, it looks like the smokies are the only ones I’ll have to have them install. Given how small this wire is, I'm not as concerned about running it through the floor as I am the larger wires.

I could, however, use some advice as to where to homerun the security wires to... Where's the best place for the panel? I want to put the panel either in the attic or the wiring closet, as the master bedroom closet will likely move in the future (in fact, all the upstairs walls/closets will get shuffled around when we really get going on the remodel). I'll probably want a keypad at the interior garage door and the master bedroom, but that's not a big deal regarding planning (and I'll let the installer run those wires since they'll charge me for the labor anyway). The upstairs location seems like it would be better as far as security and GSM coverage goes.... I could always put it in the masterbedroom closet and just leave about 10-15' of extra cable to accomidate moving it in the future (and remind the installer not to cut them when he puts the panel in).

Thouhgts?

I don't have experience with that - only attics, but sans some sort of professional sealing sleeve most people around here use the expanding spray foam to seal external entries against critters. Of course the downside is it makes it a PITA to maintain ones its sprayed although you can fairly easily push something through it for another wire run. And yes, absolutely keep your electronics and batteries out of the attic, not just for the electronics sake, but yours.

I don't have experience with that - only attics, but sans some sort of professional sealing sleeve most people around here use the expanding spray foam to seal external entries against critters. Of course the downside is it makes it a PITA to maintain ones its sprayed although you can fairly easily push something through it for another wire run. And yes, absolutely keep your electronics and batteries out of the attic, not just for the electronics sake, but yours.

I was thinking about the foam too. It would give a good seal, and it is soft enough to easily remove and replace as wires are added/removed. It'll be out of sight, or atleast covered by some sort of box where it could be visible, so that's probably the best bet. I've seen a company called primex that makes a lot of nice cable/multimedia/telecom housings that will be a great way of getting cables in and out of the house with minimal critter access. Looks like availability is only via ebay though...

My one experience with putting electronics in an attic was when I was 2 homes ago when I was renting and was not allowed to mount a roof-top antenna. I ended up putting 2 antennas in my HOT San Antonio attic along with a pre-amp and a band-pass filter (for the 2nd antenna which was oriented about 90 degrees from the other) in order to get all my local HD stations. That was not fun, especially since this was not a storage friendly attic... The attic in the new house is huge (see pic below) and we've even considered turing it into one or more rooms (will need dormers), but we also like the idea of the storage... maybe we'll do both. I've also considered opening up the ceiling all the way to the 1st floor future foyer-area for a dramatic entrance, which would take up about 1/3 of the attic space (we'll have to consult an engineer on that one, though).

attic-wide.jpg

Man John I say finish that off (heat and cool it) and create your wiring room there, that was not what I expected when you said Attic.

Man John I say finish that off (heat and cool it) and create your wiring room there, that was not what I expected when you said Attic.

I wish I had the time to do it right out the door, but I'm deploying in January, so I'll only have ~3 months (get there in early August) between arrival and being to busy to do it/leaving. The bulk of the renovations will occur over a 2-5 year period after I return from the deplyment in January 2012. So, I'm going to need an interim wiring closet (or 2, one for entertainment & automation, since I can fit my hometroller, ocelot, et al in a small space with my hme theater equipment and another for security). I'll probably put the securty stuff in the masterbedroom and give myself enough about 20' of slack for when we start moving walls....

I wish I had the time to do it right out the door, but I'm deploying in January, so I'll only have ~3 months (get there in early August) between arrival and being to busy to do it/leaving. The bulk of the renovations will occur over a 2-5 year period after I return from the deplyment in January 2012. So, I'm going to need an interim wiring closet (or 2, one for entertainment & automation, since I can fit my hometroller, ocelot, et al in a small space with my hme theater equipment and another for security). I'll probably put the securty stuff in the masterbedroom and give myself enough about 20' of slack for when we start moving walls....

Congratulations John on your new home. Happy Easter to you and your family!

Take your time. My first "wiring" endeavors in our 3 year old home was finding best places for wiring runs. I used the unfinished basement and attic. In the attic I added walking paths and lighting to help and established a "run" from the basement to the attic. I guess the most difficult part is chosing a location for a centralized point of presence in the home for infrastructure cabling. In my older home chose the basement for a centralized location and did the same with the attic relating to dropping cables to the second floor bedrooms. First thing I did in the older home was add more ventilation with a power exhaust and additional venting (to equalize air pressure). Any holes drilled down from attic to bedrooms or basement to main floor I've used expand a foam. Many of the cabling endeavors per room have been done with the "rehab" of the room; painting, electric, etc one at a time and sometimes lasting a few weeks. IE: daughter's bedroom was wired for local sound/stereo in wall speakers, a couple of internet connections, satellite and local TV, redid electric (easier to do with conduit) all done before painting etc - about 3 weeks at night bits and pieces a little bit at a time.

Looking at the pictures and hearing the mention of a crawlspace I would stick to the attic for the wiring runs and build a wiring closet on the main floor. Looks like your attic can be modified for living space sometime in the future - so I would take that too into consideration. Along with the security, cat5(network) and video I added sound to each room using 16/4 runs to wall plates and 16/2 runs to speakers.

Always wondered why MB is chosen for security panel. In FL just picked an alternative small closet. Just looked at a neighbors setup recently and noticed that the security panel was installed in a wall of a spare bedroom closet. Interesting though that the panel was installed on the outside wall of the closet so that you wouldn't typically see it opening the door of the closet. BTW the installation was very kludgy that I saw in FL - very non professional (wondering about that) for a home that's valued at over a million dollars. Kind of makes me wonder about professional standards in FL.

It makes it difficult a bit for an upgrade but in a place that I wouldn't have figured out looking thruout the home.

Back