HA Technology Comparison Spreadsheet

It would be great if this was pinned. Occasionally it gets buried a few pages back in the forum.

--Jamie

RE: Pinned - Can we get this pinned?

Would be helpful to remind folks to update it too. I bet things have changed......

Some folks have reported problems in making edits to the spreadsheet as if their editing rights had been revoked. Nothing has been changed with repect to user rights so I suspect a revision change in Google's software is at fault. It looks like you can get around the problem by simply refreshing the page. This seems to re-apply the permissions and get you psast the glitch.

Some folks have reported problems in making edits to the spreadsheet as if their editing rights had been revoked. Nothing has been changed with repect to user rights so I suspect a revision change in Google's software is at fault. It looks like you can get around the problem by simply refreshing the page. This seems to re-apply the permissions and get you psast the glitch.

I can't remember what we needed to do to edit it. I don't think I have a Google account, or I don't remember creating one, but I was able to edit the spreadsheet at one time.

I can't remember what we needed to do to edit it. I don't think I have a Google account, or I don't remember creating one, but I was able to edit the spreadsheet at one time.

You do not need a google account to edit the spreadsheet but you do need to have sent me an email account of some sort that I would have associated the editing rights to and that is where the invitiation to edit would have gone. (Look for an old message from me entitled HA Comparison Spreadsheet). You then have to use that email address when you log in to google. So you would open a browser to the Google home page. Log in using the email address you gave me. Then go to the spreadsheet. Because you are logged in to google with the correct account you will be able to edit.

I don't think OnQ ALC lighting should state 'difficult retrofit' - it's the easiest of the hardwired products to retrofit. At least that's my understanding...if there is a neutral at the switch, only catx to the switch is required. No homerun loads required - easy retrofit.

I don't think OnQ ALC lighting should state 'difficult retrofit' - it's the easiest of the hardwired products to retrofit. At least that's my understanding...if there is a neutral at the switch, only catx to the switch is required. No homerun loads required - easy retrofit.

I think the point is that is that any hardwired system is difficult to retrofit. If you are only dealing with interior walls, have sheetrock rather than plaster and lathe, have open basement and attic access, etc, then maybe a retrofit for a hardwired system won't be so bad, but most people don't have all of those things going for them.

In the spreadshett there are two colums for 230VAC/50Hz which is mostly used in Europe / Germany.
And in this corner of the world there is X10-controll as UPC rather unusual.
The usual systems here are

in the high reliabilyty and high performance sector: EIB/KNX

This system conists of two wires for Data transmission parallel/together with the powerline. There are 64ooo actuators and sensors possible. More than 4000 devices are certified. And a lot of companies are delivering and supporting this system. All kind and designs of outlets, switches, dimmers, interfaces, thermostats, solenoids, sensors and actors for each and everything ... If you own a skyscraper, think of that system! And start to investigate all the possibilities maybe by this website (or google for it). The problem for you all will be: the german language!

http://www.knx.de/
http://elektro-kleubler.info/eib.htm

and in the low-cost / DIY-sector: FS20 (a former, non compatible system was called FS10)

This system operates radiocontrolled and with X10-like modules. No wiring. The range is between 100 ft inside stone-buildings and 300 ft in gardens. You have also a lot of different receivers as sensors. Outlets (switchable as dimmable), motor-valves controlling warmwaterheating, relais-outputs, controll-units for blinds, switches for AC as with dig. inputs, for weather datas, alarm sensors for fire/glass ... etc). as several posibilities to control it: by a central station, by an interface from any PC, via telephone. Again this link is in german language:

http://www.elv.de/FS20-Haussteuerungs-Syst...l_1/detail2_313
http://www.ehomeportal.de/Radio-System-FS2...1597&p=1597

and because this system is rather popular, you find even some links in english:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=88425

All this, just in case you have a friend outside the US and he needs some advise ...

I think the point is that is that any hardwired system is difficult to retrofit. If you are only dealing with interior walls, have sheetrock rather than plaster and lathe, have open basement and attic access, etc, then maybe a retrofit for a hardwired system won't be so bad, but most people don't have all of those things going for them.
Agreed, but it is clearly the easiest of the hardwired systems. Took me months to figure that out, and I think it's an important bit of info, for those looking for the reliability of hardwired, with the least amount of effort and wall destruction.

Tony Stewart's selling points of ALC are extremely convincing.

In the spreadshett there are two colums for 230VAC/50Hz which is mostly used in Europe / Germany.
And in this corner of the world there is X10-controll as UPC rather unusual.
The usual systems here are

in the high reliabilyty and high performance sector: EIB/KNX

This system conists of two wires for Data transmission parallel/together with the powerline. There are 64ooo actuators and sensors possible. More than 4000 devices are certified. And a lot of companies are delivering and supporting this system. All kind and designs of outlets, switches, dimmers, interfaces, thermostats, solenoids, sensors and actors for each and everything ... If you own a skyscraper, think of that system! And start to investigate all the possibilities maybe by this website (or google for it). The problem for you all will be: the german language!

http://www.knx.de/
http://elektro-kleubler.info/eib.htm

and in the low-cost / DIY-sector: FS20 (a former, non compatible system was called FS10)

This system operates radiocontrolled and with X10-like modules. No wiring. The range is between 100 ft inside stone-buildings and 300 ft in gardens. You have also a lot of different receivers as sensors. Outlets (switchable as dimmable), motor-valves controlling warmwaterheating, relais-outputs, controll-units for blinds, switches for AC as with dig. inputs, for weather datas, alarm sensors for fire/glass ... etc). as several posibilities to control it: by a central station, by an interface from any PC, via telephone. Again this link is in german language:

http://www.elv.de/FS20-Haussteuerungs-Syst...l_1/detail2_313
http://www.ehomeportal.de/Radio-System-FS2...1597&p=1597

and because this system is rather popular, you find even some links in english:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=88425

All this, just in case you have a friend outside the US and he needs some advise ...

Thanks for all the detailed info! It will take me awhile to absorb all of this but I am more than willing to let you add these technologies to the spreadsheet if you are interested in doing so. Just send me an email if you are interested.

You do not need a google account to edit the spreadsheet but you do need to have sent me an email account of some sort that I would have associated the editing rights to and that is where the invitiation to edit would have gone. (Look for an old message from me entitled HA Comparison Spreadsheet). You then have to use that email address when you log in to google. So you would open a browser to the Google home page. Log in using the email address you gave me. Then go to the spreadsheet. Because you are logged in to google with the correct account you will be able to edit.

Hmmm... So I go to it, but the only thing I can see to do is sign in, which asks for a Google account. The Edit menu item is greyed out. So I must be missing something.

Hmmm... So I go to it, but the only thing I can see to do is sign in, which asks for a Google account. The Edit menu item is greyed out. So I must be missing something.

It is not asking for a google account, just an email account. You should use [email protected] plus whatever password you chose when you first responded to the invitation.

It is not asking for a google account, just an email account. You should use [email protected] plus whatever password you chose when you first responded to the invitation.

It complains that a field cannot be left blank, meaning the password field.

It complains that a field cannot be left blank, meaning the password field.

When do you get this error... when you log in at the Googl home page? Are you using the same password you originally set up when you first got the invitation? I guess I could delete you and send you a new invitation to see if that fixes it.

Back