HAI Access Control Readers

TBM1

Hi Guys,

I justy wantewd to know whether anyone else out there is using the HAI access control readers and finding issues with there operation at low temperatures?

I currently have 5 x access control readers that I have installed at my house and currently we are coming to the end of Winter here in Australia. I have identified issues with the outside readers (4 of) in that when the outside temp seems to drop below 7 degrees Celsius the readers to not read the access tags. One reader is at the front door but undercover and well protected from the elements yet when a tag is presented to the reader nothing happens. I have one inside the garage which never fails and I would (as a process of elimination) swap them over if the other 3 were not doing the same thing.

Any other time of the day these readers work and have worked so far for 2 years. The reason I have just found the problem is because we never needed to use the readers so early in the morning, we were always leaving for work not entering the house.
I actually now have someone come to the house three days a week to look after our 18 month old meaning they access the front door between 7 and 7.30 in the morning. This situation has only happened since my wife went back to work at the start of the year which means last Winter we never knew there was a problem because she was home.

I have emailed HAI International Support and at this stage, they have advised that they are investigating a similar report.

Thanks in advance

Trav
Oz

I have 2 of them deployed in Maryland. I think for over 2 years now. I have never noticed a problem, but I'll be checking it once it gets cold here in a few months.

Just an observation, but you might want to check the back of the reader and wiring harness for moisture.

An old electrician once taught me that any air leak will have a condensation point. This is true for Cold and Hot Weather installations. In the winter the interior air condensates on the cold spot. (most likely) In the Summer the hot humid outdoor air can condensate when it hits the colder dry interior surfaces. (less likely) When I worked on constructing Grocery Store walkin coolers and freezers, we fanatically sealed everything and the foam panels would still be saturated with water within 10years. Water is a powerful force to reckon with. 

I now install Commercial Security and Access Control Systems. The HAI Reader out of the box isn't a very secure device. I would definitely install a tamper switch behind it, in series with the door contact.  

I wouldn't worry too much about someone hacking into the databus, jumping the strike power or bypassing the door contact, that would take far too much effort. I don't install security systems to keep out the smart criminals out, just the dumb ones.

Back