HAI Omni II with Hardwire Expander Problems

I have a HAI Omni II with two hardwire expanders. I had some issues with one of my thermostats this weekend so I removed both expanders to troubleshoot the wiring. Once I got my thermostat working correctly, I put the expanders back on the board and booted it up. Both expanders are not showing. I tried changing the jumper cables as well as switching the expander numbers from 1 to 2 and vice versa with no luck. I verified my settings from both PC Dealer Access as well as a console. Both the  first and second expanders are configured as hardwired expanders. They are numbered correctly. EOL zone resistors are installed and this is set to yes in Dealer access. 

What's weird is there are no errors on the system that I can tell. The zones are configured in PC Access and appear to be there. I can see them from a controller. The all show a secure status and are currently secure. However, none of them are showing loop numbers. On the working zones 1-16, I see 147 and 148, but all the zones on the expanders are showing 0. 

I tried to power off the system for an hour to see if it would reset. I'm about out of options at this point as I have tried two jumper cables and two expanders as the first and neither will register. I'm concerned that I may have fried something on the board somehow. I noticed a couple of jumper pins on the board and an option to reset eeprom from the controller but I haven't been able to find any related documentation. Is there some way to reset the board or reset the expansion pins? Any other suggestions for what I might try?

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    25.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    79.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    20.1 KB · Views: 9
You can push the little white button on the OPII Pro board, warm reset and cold reset via the keypad.  I am guessing you have backed up your set up via PCA.  I switched over to using the serial PCA connection when I did a cold reset.  Also disconnected battery and PS after cold boot.

Here too I utilize all EOL for all stuff.  Try also adding one expander at a time, check it then swap it with the other expander.

Here only have Zone Expander daughter boards (first generation - model # 10A06-1? - have to look real quick here.)over the main board and these do not need to be configured as hardware expanders and are seen just fine via PCA (with loop values and such). 

Other than the above I cannot comment on your issues other than reading here on the forum relating to lightning damage to OPII Pro boards and or OPII plugged in device damage.

I have spare Hardwire Expander boards and looked at one and it saids it is a Hardwire Expander model 10A06-1 Rev. A.

Will look at PCA configuration now.

Apologies...its been so long that I have looked at this stuff on PCA.  It does show the two Hardwire expands as #1 and #2.  Current loop values are 147-149 beyond zone 016 and Zone Resistors set to Yes.

I noticed a couple of jumper pins on the board and an option to reset eeprom from the controller but I haven't been able to find any related documentation. Is there some way to reset the board or reset the expansion pins? Any other suggestions for what I might try?

Best guess here...

Well too make sure your Expansion boards are plugged in correctly and not offset one row up or down or side ways.  I am not even sure that you can offset the pins as again its been many years here since I have touched or looked at it.   I know you took precautions relating to unplugging both the battery and PS before touching the boards from what I have read.  How did the thermostat wires get discombobulated?

Here and its been many years ago I installed two lamps over the HAI can for a better view of my tinkering (and relating to my old age vision).

Triple check the ribbon cables.
It is REALLY easy to offset one row of pins on one or both since they aren't keyed.

I've done it more than once, even when I know to check.

I have the exact same hardware expanders. I verified my jumper cables many times as I have also done the same thing. Do you recall what menu the hard and cold reset is located in? Does this reset the board to scratch where you have to reconfigure all connectivity including serial?

One of my thermostat wires just broke apart, I guess from old age. The system is about 8 years old since I installed it or probably just wiggled too many times moving things around or adding zones.

I have the exact same hardware expanders. I verified my jumper cables many times as I have also done the same thing.

Do you recall what menu the hard and cold reset is located in?

Assuming you have a backup of your stuff you can do a hard / cold reset with any keypad connected to your HAI panel using your installation code.

Cold reset is just using installer menu and miscellaneous.  Run through the menus until you see reset eeprom. 

Does this reset the board to scratch where you have to reconfigure all connectivity including serial?

A cold reset will reset everthing.  You will be able to still connect by default via a serial cable or via your keypad. 

Note that the basics in the linked HAI 2003 manual have not changed.

Refer to the HAI installation manual here ==> HAI OPII Installation Manual

Ok, so here is an update on where I am with this. Board is still down and not working correctly. I shipped it to Leviton for repair. The board was returned and the hardwire expanders / zones still do the same thing. The board recognizes the expanders but the zone voltage doesn't register correctly. I purchased two new hardwire expanders, same results. I am completely baffled at this and the only thing I can think of is Leviton didn't check the hardwire expander header during the repair process. Is there anything else I could be missing?

I believe that v3.15 is not great at starting when you get a bigger system.  I don't have a solution, other than power off, battery disconnected, wait 5 minutes, connect AC, then reconnect battery LAST. I had to do this several times to get it all running. For me my wireless receiver wasn't booting correctly. When you have a bigger system, there are lots of things to get going, and I think Leviton has work to do here. If you get it going, don't unplug it. :eek:

TheCodeMan said:
What's weird is there are no errors on the system that I can tell. The zones are configured in PC Access and appear to be there. I can see them from a controller. The all show a secure status and are currently secure. However, none of them are showing loop numbers. On the working zones 1-16, I see 147 and 148, but all the zones on the expanders are showing 0. 
what are your zone types in the expander group? I see you have some temperature zones, could it be you have all others set to that type accidentally?

Back