Help me find a good & affordable generator transfer switch

Yep, mine is a QOM2200VH, the only other part # I could find, which seems to be the cover, is HOMC30UC. If your panel is compatible, keep in mind that it will require a dual breaker in the first 2 slots right underneath/above the main breaker.

If your panel is compatible, keep in mind that it will require a dual breaker in the first 2 slots right underneath/above the main breaker.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. That means that that only the circuits which are on that same bar are powered, correct? So I would have to reorganize my panel, since I have a few on the other side I would like to use as well.

Or could I just install a single pole breaker on each side in the panel? (aside from that the interlock kit wouldn't work then)

Oh, and what size breaker did you use, I mean amp-wise? If my5kW generator puts out just over 20amps would I want to use a 20amp breaker or a 30amp so that it doesn't trip?

Let me know, what you think... Thanks!!

edit: I just checked, I have the QOM2200VH as well.

I got a 30A breaker, and have a generator which outputs 5500W/7000W starting watts. You have to use a dual pole breaker, so it covers both phases. I'll try to post the part # of my interlock kit in a short bit.

Part # is HOMCGK2 , ordered it through my local GrayBar.

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your help. I will be ordering the kit this weekend!!!

You have to use a dual pole breaker, so it covers both phases.

This might go a little far and I understand if it'd take too much time. But does this means there is two different phases on each hot wire in the 240V cable? But wouldn't it be possible to run one wire to the right side in the panel and the other hot wire to the left side in the panel. Each into a single pole breaker. Wouldn't I cover both phases then as well?

(I hope I am not missing some major electrical basics here. If so, I apologize in advance!)

The main concept of the interlock switch is that you can not turn on the generator backfeed circuit unless the main breaker is turned off (and vica versa). If you do what you are describing, you are just backfeeding the breaker box like most people would, and violating NEC. I had to move a few breakers as well, but it is worth it. If this is something you can't do, then I wouldn't bother with the interlock, as it would defeat its purpose.

I agree, bottom line is that I want it to be properly installed, that way I don't have to worry about it. I guess it is going to kill anybody to move some circuits around to that side. I just wanted to make sure I understood 100% what I am doing!

Dan,

I have to bump this up again...

I have pretty much everything installed (inlet box, made a whip cord to the generator and ran the 10-3 cable to the panel) now I am a little confused what kind of panel I have and what kind of interlock kit to order.

The panel cover says something HOM...
the main breaker is QOM2200VH
but the other breakers are HOM... (I thought I needed a QOM... 30AMP breaker for the generator switching)

I don't know if all this makes much sense, but I hope somebody understands what I am trying to say. (please bear with me, since I am just "fresh of the boat" (well, it's 5 years now) from Germany and my English is still questionable at some times... ;-)

I am pretty sure that the interlock kit I ordered will work for yours as well, but you can e-mail SquareD if you aren't sure (I did, and they responded pretty fast).

Dan,

Did that interlock kit work out for you?

It does seem like a nice "cheap" way to get power into the house.

--Dan

Back