How do I reset master code for Omni Pro II ?

Neillt, thx.

I will try it. Just to be sure, do you mind sending me a zipped up PC Access or a link to download it from. I want to make sure I use the right version. And I assume I will need to plug into "serial port set as OmniLink" on the board itself, right?

If this works, I am sending you iTunes or Google play gift card. If you are ok with it, send me your email address to [email protected]

Thx,
Ig

az1324 said:
That sounds too easy. You don't need credentials to download the config? (Credentials that may have been cached by the software)

No, you don't.  I think once you have physical access to the board there is really no point to being more restrictive....

Igortech said:
Neillt, thx.

I will try it. Just to be sure, do you mind sending me a zipped up PC Access or a link to download it from. I want to make sure I use the right version. And I assume I will need to plug into "serial port set as OmniLink" on the board itself, right?

If this works, I am sending you iTunes or Google play gift card. If you are ok with it, send me your email address to [email protected]

Thx,
Ig

Would love to help you out, but PC Access is a commercial product, and one you have to enter your personally registered serial number into during installation.  The software is relatively easy to purchase, and if you plan on doing anything with it anyway you will want it.

As far as the serial ports, when you look at the board along the top there are 5 RJ-45 sockets, those are the serial ports in question.  The normal default config is for them to be set as OmniLink which is what you need.  Pick an empty one and off you go.  If you don't have the cable, I can get you the pinouts to make your own, or buy a premade one.

Ok, got it. And will "end user" PC Access version work, or do I need to get a dealer version (which is a lot more expensive)?
thx,ig 

Yup; I think you will need the dealer installer version of PCA.  It is worth the money if you are into the whole DIY thing.  Google it and you will find it reasonably priced. (relatively writing).

Part number is:  HAI1105W (please correct me if I am incorrect with this part number)

I do keep a spare console keypad and Omnitouch now sitting near the panel (that is me though) lately.

Over the years I have always connected PCA via the network and did actually use it via a serial connection to the panel a couple of months back.  It worked fine via the serial link.  (so now have left the two connections in place).

neillt said:
All,

I just tried it, it works.  Just plug in a laptop with PC Access into a serial port set as OmniLink and connect to the controller.  Download the config.  The installer code is set in the Miscellaneous Settings.

Change the code to whatever you want, write the config back to the controller, call it a day.  Nothing lost, no money spent, and no shipping the thing back to HAI.
Wait....what? I don't need the installer code, user code, anything...just PC access and a serial port and I can download the config off my controller, change parameters and upload it back? Seems like a back door to me

swaggy said:
Wait....what? I don't need the installer code, user code, anything...just PC access and a serial port and I can download the config off my controller, change parameters and upload it back? Seems like a back door to me

I guess.  If you already have physical access to the board, what's the point of trying to make it even harder?

Plenty of people could potentially gain physical access to the board that you wouldn't want to be able to clone/change the config over a serial port.  Technically it could be done very stealthily with a bluetooth serial adapter and a smartphone/tablet.  So you have to worry about securing physical access to the board.  Not a huge concern, but still.

To be fair, you can disable the serial ports, or set them to a different protocol so that the laptop can't work.  But I don't think I have ever seen that done in reality.

You could also make sure the board is locked up fairly well... add a tamper switch to the can that has certain actions when tripped (like notifying you)

I will be interested to hear if you are able to extract the existing configuration through the serial port without the password.  If that can be done why would HAI say they have to factory default the board?  Is this yet another situation of "protecting the intellectual property" of the installer?  Seems odd that they do that if all the end user has to do is to purchase the software and download the configuration.

Igortech said:
I contacted HAI and they said I would need to send them the board, and they will factory default it and in the process would erase everything.

pct88 said:
I will be interested to hear if you are able to extract the existing configuration through the serial port without the password.  If that can be done why would HAI say they have to factory default the board?  Is this yet another situation of "protecting the intellectual property" of the installer?  Seems odd that they do that if all the end user has to do is to purchase the software and download the configuration.

Because they assume you don't have PC Access, don't know how to do programming, etc.  It's easier to just wipe the thing than play tech support.  That would be my guess.

neillt said:
Because they assume you don't have PC Access, don't know how to do programming, etc.  It's easier to just wipe the thing than play tech support.  That would be my guess.

Having swapped a number of Omni boards over the years, I would rate that process as much more difficult (assuming your goal is to avoid damage, bent pins, components, etc...)  than plugging in a modular connector and adapter, loading a piece of software and running it. 

Just an update to my saga here, I looked up HAI1105W PC Access for dealers and its pretty darn expensive to use just once. I found it ranging from $175 to $250.

I wonder if I can connect my board to my Ethernet and, for instance a nice gentelman such as user 'neillt', can just access it remotely and retrieve my code or install a new one. Or if one of you are in Chicago, perhaps, we can have a different arrangement. My email is [email protected]. Please email me directly if you have other ideas.

This proprietary software and 'dealer version' and lack of remote access, seems like 1990's era to me. For occasional DYI activity, it needs to be much more open. But it is what it is.

My must haves: 1. Retrieve the installer code and change my thermostat program. My nice to haves: 1. Once I have a code upgrade to firmware 3.4 and enable control from my iPhone or iPad. I'll probably never will go into config again. And paying $200 to change the code seems expensive.

Thank you all in advance

Back