I need business name ideas!

Squintz said:
Its very true though and a good reason to avoid it. Good thinking smee.
Is that really a good reason to avoid it? Or, rather, is that an even better business oportunity? :)

Hehe, that really is funny smee, but wouldn't that be more like 'PerfectMate'. I think the truth is it will be very difficult to come up with the 'perfect' name if you want to as pkoslow said 'build the brand'. If that is the case it is up to your marketing to make the name sound like what you want instead of morphing it into something weird or funny. Like what the heck is Polaroid, have you heard of that? It sounds to me like some hemorrhoid preparation for use in Alaska. But they built the brand to what is now a household name. I think you will have that challenge with any catchy name which is why I like simply 'Powell Enterprises' which is simple and uniquely yours and can do whatever you want with it, which is what I think you need for a 'mom and pop' operation. Of course another option is you can always incorporate under 'Powell Enterprises' and do a DBA with a catchy name if you come up with one.

rocco said:
Squintz said:
Its very true though and a good reason to avoid it. Good thinking smee.
Is that really a good reason to avoid it? Or, rather, is that an even better business oportunity? :)
Hehe, yeah, that's true too, as he said himself (name changed)...
And the fact that people might say... what the heck is Simplimate may actually be a good thing.

Squintz,

I settled on Santa Barbara Smarthomes for a business name. It's not necessarily unique and maybe limiting geographically, but Santa Barbara holds an alure here in south and central California. Everyone associates it with beauty, wealth and good living so it kind of already has it's own name brand recognition.

I registered www.sbsmarthomes.com (most Californian's refer to Santa Barbara as "SB"), but also registered www.santabarbarasmarthomes.com which forward to the same site.

For now I just have a slightly modified version of my personal HA web site published, but will be working on a much more professional looking site over the next couple months.

Nailed down my logo last weekend and waiting for some business cards to be printed... hoping that they are ready before I leave for EHX tomorrow!

Here's the logo I put together:

Logo%20small.jpg

pk, very nice, indeed!

The logo looks great.

Now you need to come up with a "What's the IQ of your house?" quiz, that will assign an IQ to houses based on its capabilities. You could use IQ to create packages and such too.

John & Squintz... thanks for the compliments on the logo!

jrfuda said:
Now you need to come up with a "What's the IQ of your house?" quiz, that will assign an IQ to houses based on its capabilities. You could use IQ to create packages and such too.

John - I've already been chewing on that idea, but thought it might be too cheezy? People with money around here can be really competitive, so maybe it's a good idea... I could assign IQ points for each device or system and then tally them to produce the results...

Door/Window Contact = 2pts
Automated light switch = 5pts
Motion Sensor = 7pts
Automation Controller = 35pts
RFID System = 40pts

I agree that creating standard packages referenced to IQ may be interesting too. Maybe a standard setup is around 110pts, a simple setup with only scene based lighting may only be 60pts, a decked out install with all the bells and whistles... 200pts?

That leads me to bumper stickers :huh:

Instead of "my child is a honor student at..." how about:

My house has an IQ of 186!
What's the IQ of your house?

PK

I think cheezy is okay. I like your IQ idea and also the bumper sticker. Call me a dork but I think its cool.

How about

Innomation

as a combination of innovation and automation? If the company grows beyond that realm it's abstract enough not to tie you down. That's why I picked Charmed Quark Systems, because it's non-specific. If we get larger and want to have some subsidiaries or something, we can do Charmed Quark Automation, Charmed Quark Love Toys, Charmed Quark Bongs and Works, whatever. I just didn't want to have a name like "Automation Company" that tied us into one specific thing.

Back