Iphone 7 has no headphone jack

And still no wireless charging, for either the iPhone nor the headphones.  Now available for nearly a decade and implemented in 100+ devices from various manufacturers.  

mikefamig said:
I've been trying to come up with a reason why Apple would remove the headphone jack from the Iphone when so many of use it every day. Then it occurred to me that maybe they are going to introduce a new device that does have headphones. Removing the jack from the phone can also improve Ipad and Ipod sales.

Anyone else have any  thoughts on this? Any rumors going around?

Mike.
Its all about space.  Removing the jack left room for a second speaker, so now stereo sound.  I'm also guessing failure of the jack was an expense for Apple, as headphone jacks are notoriously troublesome.  They will be providing an adapter which gives you the jack back. Just connect it to your headphones and move on with your life. They will also be providing you which headphones that use the Lightning jack directly and my guess is there will be no shortage of these headphones from third parties. 

Long ago PC makers removed serial connectors and parallel ports from PCs, DVD drives disappeared, RGB monitor connectors disappeared and were replaced with HDMI and surprising life went on.  

wkearney99 said:
And still no wireless charging, for either the iPhone nor the headphones.  Now available for nearly a decade and implemented in 100+ devices from various manufacturers.  
People speak with their wallets.  When it goes on sale September 16, and if sales are terrible, then I will agree with you wireless charging and a headphone jack are important to most users. If sales are high, that tells me these are features are not important enough to stop people from buying. 

I just realized the BIGGEST loss!!! iPhotographers will no longer be able ot use the 3.5mm shutter release capability of the camera! Blurry pictures will surely ensue!

For those who didn't know, you could use the '+' button on the included headphones or purchase a 3rd party shutter release cable to trigger the camera's shutter mechanism.

ano said:
People speak with their wallets.  When it goes on sale September 16, and if sales are terrible, then I will agree with you wireless charging and a headphone jack are important to most users. If sales are high, that tells me these are features are not important enough to stop people from buying. 
Normally that would be sound logic...but these are Apple fans! ;)

drvnbysound said:
I just realized the BIGGEST loss!!! iPhotographers will no longer be able ot use the 3.5mm shutter release capability of the camera! Blurry pictures will surely ensue!

For those who didn't know, you could use the '+' button on the included headphones or purchase a 3rd party shutter release cable to trigger the camera's shutter mechanism.
And you don't think that will be possible with the lightning connector earphones?  Or the adapter with regular headphones? 

ano said:
And you don't think that will be possible with the lightning connector earphones?  Or the adapter with regular headphones? 

Sorry, I should have ended the first line of my post with /sarcasm. I thought that would have been evident when I stated that the shutter release was the BIGGEST loss.

Nonetheless, do I think it will be possible? Sure. Maybe, if there is a demand. But I doubt you will find any DIY hacks to make one like you could with the 3.5mm plug.

ano said:
Long ago PC makers removed serial connectors and parallel ports from PCs, DVD drives disappeared, RGB monitor connectors disappeared and were replaced with HDMI and surprising life went on.  
And yet everyone still needs to install USB serial (DB9, DB25) adapters into the PC's and then connect to 3rd party hardware. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes there's huge issues otherwise. Makes the market for PCI serial cards attractive to "fix" the issue and lack of the proper ports to connect or control hardware. Really a shortsighted action. I've spent plenty on adapters, cards, extenders and what have you to get the "new and advanced" hardware to work properly with components that are just as advanced....monitors, printers, laminators, security devices, what have you. I have no less than 3 USP serial adapters in my laptop bag at this exact moment.

The end result is they can make X device smaller, thinner, lighter or more "sexy" and then not have the expense of installing the necessary components and hope and pray that it forces the market.

How many video standards have there been in the last 10 years for monitors? I can name at least 1 per year and a flavor of the month.....

The main reason why they did away with it was to force the all digital path and hopefully offload the processing and conversion power (and amplification for that matter) to an external piece of hardware, good or bad. Just the nature of the beast here.

The bigger issue is going to be the lack of wireless charging, the inability to charge and use audio at the same time without an adapter and how that affects 3rd party devices (cases, etc). or it basically is going to force the hand just like lightning did.

I know I truly don't care what apple does and I wouldn't call the last 3 generations "revolutionary" as far as hardware goes personally.

An interesting take on Voice UX related to new wireless audio interface:

http://us12.campaign-archive1.com/?u=475676e92306092c075e1fbd5&id=5b9f25c20c&e=51cba5435c

What Apple has done with its proprietary wireless radio in the AirPods and an ability to easily connect those headphones to any Apple device using iCloud is to put Siri in your ear. Removing the audio jack and replacing it with expensive wireless ear buds is part of a long-term commitment to a better user experience for controlling a world of connected devices. And that UX is built around voice.

Craig

DELInstallations said:
...I know I truly don't care what apple does and I wouldn't call the last 3 generations "revolutionary" as far as hardware goes personally.
So the 2 lens camera system with 2X optical zoom and up to 10X via software...meh?

Or are you more impressed with Samsung's arsonist-in-your-pocket Note 7?   :eek:

Craig

DELInstallations said:
And yet everyone still needs to install USB serial (DB9, DB25) adapters into the PC's and then connect to 3rd party hardware. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes there's huge issues otherwise. Makes the market for PCI serial cards attractive to "fix" the issue and lack of the proper ports to connect or control hardware. Really a shortsighted action. I've spent plenty on adapters, cards, extenders and what have you to get the "new and advanced" hardware to work properly with components that are just as advanced....monitors, printers, laminators, security devices, what have you. I have no less than 3 USP serial adapters in my laptop bag at this exact moment.

The end result is they can make X device smaller, thinner, lighter or more "sexy" and then not have the expense of installing the necessary components and hope and pray that it forces the market.

How many video standards have there been in the last 10 years for monitors? I can name at least 1 per year and a flavor of the month.....

The main reason why they did away with it was to force the all digital path and hopefully offload the processing and conversion power (and amplification for that matter) to an external piece of hardware, good or bad. Just the nature of the beast here.

The bigger issue is going to be the lack of wireless charging, the inability to charge and use audio at the same time without an adapter and how that affects 3rd party devices (cases, etc). or it basically is going to force the hand just like lightning did.

I know I truly don't care what apple does and I wouldn't call the last 3 generations "revolutionary" as far as hardware goes personally.

I'm keeping an old PC with a scsi port alive so that I can use a commercial dye-sub printer that I've owned for years because I haven't been able to find a usb to scsi cable that works with windows 7.

Mike.

iSheeple don't care about function, only whatever Apple thinks is best for them.

Maybe I need some Preparation A for my Androids?

pvrfan said:
So the 2 lens camera system with 2X optical zoom and up to 10X via software...meh?

Or are you more impressed with Samsung's arsonist-in-your-pocket Note 7?   :eek:

Craig

I can honestly say that the two lenses are just wasted money to me. I took up photography as a hobby a while back and while I haven't picked up a camera in a while I can say that if I want to take a photo I will use a dslr camera. The Iphone barely gets by with a push as a camera. But then I have never taken a selfie either so maybe I just don't get it.

I use the Iphone camera to copy a document or to take a photo of an assembly that I am about to disassemble as a reference but as far as photography goes I'd rather go pick up a camera with a decent lens. You can not deny it's convenience but that's as far as it goes with me. Even as a phone I only use it when I am not near a real phone that doesn't have voice drop-out and disconnects.

Cell phones are a great convenience but they have brainwashed people into accepting poorer quality photos, poorer quality music and poorer quality phone communications. In my opinion they have degraded everything that they touch.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I can honestly say that the two lenses are just wasted money to me. I took up photography as a hobby a while back and while I haven't picked up a camera in a while I can say that if I want to take a photo I will use a dslr camera. The Iphone barely gets by with a push as a camera. But then I have never taken a selfie either so maybe I just don't get it.

I use the Iphone camera to copy a document or to take a photo of an assembly that I am about to disassemble as a reference but as far as photography goes I'd rather go pick up a camera with a decent lens. You can not deny it's convenience but that's as far as it goes with me. Even as a phone I only use it when I am not near a real phone that doesn't have voice drop-out and disconnects.

Cell phones are a great convenience but they have brainwashed people into accepting poorer quality photos, poorer quality music and poorer quality phone communications. In my opinion they have degraded everything that they touch.

Mike.
Yeah, you're fighting a losing battle there, aren't you?  You do realize that smartphone penetration, worldwide, keeps relentlessly climbing.  The rest of the world thinks your arguments are either wrong or irrelevant.

Craig
PS You forgot to end with: "And get off my lawn!"   ;)

Back