Kwikset SmartCode Deadbolt with Z-wave availability

I will double check what they have on the shelf at home depot, but the one I looked at on the display had a tapered deadbolt (which I think is new?) and had the Home Connect logo inside the cover.
[/quote]

I looked at some at Lowes recently. I wonder if it possibly might be "Home Connect" ready but be minus the radio?
[/quote]

Your comment stuck in my mind -- I had just given up at trying to get a z-wave keypad lock installed by this week... and purchased the Kwikset keypad dead bolt lock at Lowe's (909 L03, $99 online). To my surprise, as I opened up the the programming plate, it stated clearly on the instructions: "Home Connect Ready"! There was no Home Connect anywhere on the packaging, and not, I didn't pay $249 for it.

It looks like there is an unused jumper 'J4' in the lock. Hopefully, they'll release an add on board that will let you add in the capability. I have found none of this online!

By the way, the lock works nicely. It's a little cheap looking on the interior aspect (plastic with a brass coating), but from a distance it still looks sharp.

Your comment stuck in my mind -- I had just given up at trying to get a z-wave keypad lock installed by this week... and purchased the Kwikset keypad dead bolt lock at Lowe's (909 L03, $99 online). To my surprise, as I opened up the the programming plate, it stated clearly on the instructions: "Home Connect Ready"! There was no Home Connect anywhere on the packaging, and not, I didn't pay $249 for it.

It looks like there is an unused jumper 'J4' in the lock. Hopefully, they'll release an add on board that will let you add in the capability. I have found none of this online!

By the way, the lock works nicely. It's a little cheap looking on the interior aspect (plastic with a brass coating), but from a distance it still looks sharp.

Hmm that's interesting. Tell us if it looks like this: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicatio...html?id=1265731. Yep I see J4 which is where the Z-Wave board plugs in.

I will double check what they have on the shelf at home depot, but the one I looked at on the display had a tapered deadbolt (which I think is new?) and had the Home Connect logo inside the cover.

Why not just buy one that is Z-Wave enabled?

Well it is interesting that they can sell the lock without the module profitably for $99 but the Z-Wave enabled version is $249. I don't see why the module should be worth more than $50. I don't have a z-wave network but knowing that header is there exposing the functionality I am going to try and hack in my own wireless board.

According to Kwikset, there will be an upgrade package at some point that will include the tapered bolt, the Z-Wave daughter card and a new cover for the inside that has the window. The cost should be $150 to make it the same price whether you buy it as Z-Wave or upgrade the non-Z-Wave.

I just purchased the $99 version not really needing the z wave, but the box says it has "home connect" and it has the buttons under the inside cover? It says "home connect ready" I am assuming that I would need the upgrade kit to really have "home connect"

Yeah there is nothing behind those buttons. Seems kind of weird that they don't include the tapered deadbolt with this version.

Gents (mainly ASIHome)... has anyone heard anything new on this?
There are several topics covered in this thread, what are you referring to?
I think he's referring to the status of the updated Leviton serial interface that is supposed to allow HAI & ELK to work with the locks.

That's exactly what I am referring to! :angry:

It would be nice if there was an RS-232 interface that will do the Z-Wave locks... sounded like it should be "any time now" by reading the posts.

Gents (mainly ASIHome)... has anyone heard anything new on this?
There are several topics covered in this thread, what are you referring to?
I think he's referring to the status of the updated Leviton serial interface that is supposed to allow HAI & ELK to work with the locks.

That's exactly what I am referring to! :angry:

It would be nice if there was an RS-232 interface that will do the Z-Wave locks... sounded like it should be "any time now" by reading the posts.
Gotcha, there is an RS232 interface that works great with HomeSeer called the Z-Troller and HomeSeer offers several Elk interface plugins if you didn't want to wait. I love my Schlage and Kwikset Z-Wave locks. The Kwikset allow locking which is really a nice option.

Back