Latest Home Automation Software and Devices.

In the online world, the stuff coming from the 'professionals' is generally uber-obvious. Most spam e-mail is so recognizable and auto-generated. Half the time they seem to not even bother to learn how their stupid spam-ware works and it has replacement parameters in the content. "Hello %UN, this is a very personal message just for you."

It's the stuff like this that's the issue. It's usually not from a marketing company but from the company itself, often posted anonymously where it's hard to tell. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes not. When you get the sign up today, one post made and never came back, and the post is something like "Wow, this product I just found is amazing. It automates my blinds and my cancer is in remission." Those are pretty obvious. But a lot of it is more subtle than that, with folks posting from multiple bogus accounts, and those companies are getting a lot of free exposure by being slimy.

Some, like this one, are harder to tell because they wait to serve the spamwassee, and don't just throw it out there in the first post.

Yes some marketing is obvious and some is even laughable but some are pretty clever too. I think that even the most skeptical of us can be fooled at times. I don't think that the marketing people are stupid people, just annoying and harmful.

My biggest problem with marketing is the phone cold callers. I have an elderly family member that lives alone and people have children that are not at home and when the phone rings you would be irresponsible to not answer it. Because of this I have had to climb down off ladders and have had all sorts of activities  interrupted several times a day by solicitors. I have made it a hard rule now that I give nothing...not a dime....to anyone who cold calls or rings my doorbell and I tell them that as I run them out of my yard. I've decided that I know who I want to donate to and when and how much and don't need a stranger to enlighten me.

I know that I'm ranting but this is one that really bugs me. We need an automated phone that can smell marketing and hang up. Or an ACME  doorbell that can detect a solicitor and a big wooden hammer pops out and hits them over the head like on roadrunner/Wily

Mike.

mikefamig said:
We need an automated phone that can smell marketing and hang up. Or an ACME  doorbell that can detect a solicitor and a big wooden hammer pops out and hits them over the head like on roadrunner/Wily

Mike.

Several friends have Ooma phones. As part of their premier service, Ooma provides a blacklist that my friends say is extremely effective at blocking calls from telemarketers. 

I have Ooma and love it.  My premium service offers a ton of features for something like $11 a month (would have to double check that).  I have two phone numbers plus a lot of other features.

There are some features that don't work so well, like their mobile app, but I just don't need that.

Thanks for the ooma tip guys. I have no contract with ATT and I'll be looking into it.

Mike.

EDIT

I was thinking of cell service when I mantioned not having a contract and I see now that Ooma is am inteernet phone to replace your landline which is just what I need here.

I just signed up for NoMoRobo.com.  My neighbor has been using it for a few months now and says it has worked flawless.  Basically you setup simultaneous ring on your phones and the NoMoRobo service answers the bad #'s and dumps the call.  I would have assumed that I'd hear a ring in the house before the call was dumped, but my neighbor says that he does not get any initial ring at all.  Since I just signed up, I can't comment on that aspect, but I'm hoping this stops a lot of them.

NOmorob appears to be even better for me than Ooma because my landline is under $10/month and more dependable than my internet service here. Thanks for that.

It looks like I need to do some shopping, I've never looked to replace the landline in the past and it may be about time.

Mike.

Last year here noticed that I was getting spam calls from whole cellular exchanges. 

The calls would have similiar or same CIDs and the last digit of the number would increment by one.  I went to slpat blocking the calls here.

IE:

888-555-1212
888-555-1213
888-555-1214

Splat blocked by using:

Block all calls from 888-555-121? or 888-555-12?? or 888-555-1???

A while back there was an article in Consumer reports article on this stuff.

New—and needed—solutions

New—and needed—solutions

Recognizing that traditional tools such as the DNC registry weren’t getting the job done, in 2012 the FTC launched a Robocall Challenge, offering a $50,000 cash prize for the best technical solution to blocking robocalls.

One of three winners was Aaron Foss, a freelance programmer who came up with a prototype for Nomorobo over the course of a weekend. “Before I heard of the challenge, I didn’t even know robocalls were a problem,” he confesses. Nomorobo’s technology intercepts all incoming calls to your phone, judges the likelihood of their being robocalls, and lets only the legitimate calls through. Foss boasts that the technology has a 95 percent accuracy rate.

Foss is pleased with the success of Nomorobo, but he remains puzzled that the major telephone companies, with all of their resources, didn’t solve the problem first. In fact, until recently, one of the biggest hurdles to the widespread adoption and implementation of call-blocking technology has been those industry leaders, which took the position that their legal obligation to complete all calls precluded their offering to block any, despite their customers’ increasingly frantic pleas. But in a significant ruling this past June, the FCC brushed aside the companies’ objections and gave permission for carriers to provide call-blocking technologies. “The FCC wants to make it clear: Telephone companies can—and, in fact, should—offer consumers robocall-blocking tools,” wrote FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler.

But at present it’s still up to consumers to build their own bulwark against robocalls. People with traditional and VoIP landlines can reduce—although not eliminate—robocalls by purchasing call-blocking devices that plug into their phone lines. Some allow you to blacklist numbers you no longer wish to receive; others let you set up a “whitelist,” or manually program the phone to recognize and accept a certain number of known “safe” numbers. (Find out which robocall blockers work best.) Similar apps are available for iPhone and Android users.

The major telephone carriers also offer call-blocking services for some VoIP and landlines. But the options depend on your geographic location and service package, and are limited in their ability to block calls. For example, AT&T lets you block 20 numbers on its VoIP service—which is laughable, given the ease with which robocallers can switch numbers. Adding insult to injury, customers may have to pay for the services.

“The onus right now is on the consumer to navigate these complex problems,” says Delara Derakhshani, policy counsel at Consumers Union, the policy and advocacy arm of Consumer Reports. “Consumers are being forced to pay for tools to block calls they shouldn’t be receiving in the first place.” Obviously, that isn’t fair.

By contrast, Nomorobo’s blacklist contains more than 883,000 numbers, with 200 numbers added every day. Nomorobo is free, but it is currently available only on VoIP phones and when offered by the carrier. “It is technically possible to work on landlines,” Foss says. “That’s the big push: Saying to the carriers, ‘Just make this available to everyone.’ ”

That’s where consumers come in. The FCC and FTC can’t order phone companies to provide anti-robocall technology, but so far more than 327,000 people have signed this year’s EndRobocalls.org petition calling for carriers to make use of the available technology and provide it to their customers free.

In view of the FCC’s ruling greenlighting call-blocking technology, consumers have gained more leverage. And just calling a carrier to complain can send a message. “Customer service costs outweigh the costs to deliver a call,” says Eric Burger, director of the Georgetown Center for Secure Communications at Georgetown University. “It’s dollars per minute to deal with a customer complaint, and they’re making pennies to complete a call. They’d like this problem to go away.”

Wouldn’t we all? But with consumers wielding more clout, the FCC removing barriers to call-blocking tools, and the FTC challenging programmers to come up with creative solutions, there just might be a cure for the robocall epidemic.

I went to nomorobo web site and found that it does not work with a traditional landline so that doesn't work for me. i do not have voip.

Mike.

Here also still have copper and utilize a HS plugin connected to a USB device called Way2Call for CID stuff.  I use it too for the VOIP lines. 

You can do all sorts of stuff with the device. 

IE: you can reroute the call to never never land or back to the source number if you wanted to with your own personal CID message to the spammer.

You can send the doorbell ring to a telephone ring/CID or a driveway alert ring/CID.

Thinking too you can change over to using GV (for free) and have the number route to your home copper line.

Personally here do this and that for play or not with my GV number.

Hello.I need help for something.I am a student and also new user of KNX,and I'd like to know if it is possible to make a simulation of a knx installation only with the file exported from ETS4 or ETS5 without physical devices. For example I have realized a very simple project in ETS with a button and an actuator linked to a light.Can i make a simulation without physical device?Thank you

pete_c said:
Here also still have copper and utilize a HS plugin connected to a USB device called Way2Call for CID stuff.  I use it too for the VOIP lines. 

You can do all sorts of stuff with the device. 

IE: you can reroute the call to never never land or back to the source number if you wanted to with your own personal CID message to the spammer.

You can send the doorbell ring to a telephone ring/CID or a driveway alert ring/CID.

Thinking too you can change over to using GV (for free) and have the number route to your home copper line.

Personally here do this and that for play or not with my GV number.
Pete

I looked at way2call and I see that it has caller ID detection but I didn't see any mention of call blocking. Caller ID detection can be used to build a blocking list but that is not a great solution because the robocallers rotate their phone number constantly and because that type of system requires the user to manually build the list by addign callers to the blocking list. 

I wish that there was a device that could electronically distinguish a robocall from a personal call from a human being. Actually I think that the ultimate solution would be to outlaw robocalls and then figure out how to enforce the law. Just nip the problem in the bud.

Mike.

Yes; basically here blocking 90% now of all calls coming to the copper line using splats et al.

Actually I think that the ultimate solution would be to outlaw robocalls and then figure out how to enforce the law. Just nip the problem in the bud.

There has been no control / compliance and the telcos are responsible per a Consumer Reports article a few months back.

How could a telemarketer purchase a whole exchange of cellular numbers anyways? 

Powers to be (FCC) have been cuckolded by the lobbying telemarketing industry which is a sad state of affairs.

pete_c said:
Yes; basically here blocking 90% now of all calls coming to the copper line using splats et al.

Actually I think that the ultimate solution would be to outlaw robocalls and then figure out how to enforce the law. Just nip the problem in the bud.

There has been no control / compliance and the telcos are responsible per a Consumer Reports article a few months back.

How could a telemarketer purchase a whole exchange of cellular numbers anyways? 

Powers to be (FCC) have been cuckolded by the lobbying telemarketing industry which is a sad state of affairs.

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that the Telcos are getting kickback from the telemarketers. Telcos do nothing for nothing.

Mike.

Thinking too that it's just a tax revenue generator; no matter how illicit the business is.  Seen a lot of that lately. 

Back