Latest Home Automation Software and Devices.

I set up an asterisk PBX at home and now any caller I don't recognize has to press 1 to get my house phones to ring. I think I have had two spam calls get in during the 3 years it has been running. I am even a bit surprised at that as a human actually had to listen to my outbound message saying no telemarketers, and then press 1.

Great idea johnboy!

Looked up an old Linksys combo VOIP box unlocked on Ebay they are $39 USD.  You could install DD-WRT or OpenWRT Asterisk on the box.

I haven't jumped on the VOIP bandwagon either Mike. Too many issues discovered when the storms went through and I was never a fan of the E911. I picked up a small PBX, think openhouse or onq, when they were closing them out. Works well to address the robocallers and the like, they have to really make the effort to get through.

Here's the unit: http://www.sandman-store.com/catalog/model_364565-01.htm

This would also work and help weed out the front end, assuming POTS:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TA624-5-Advanced-Telephone-Capability/dp/B0002YXUW4

Yes here still very analogue feeding VOIP and copper to legacy stuff and use a Panasonic and Siemens multi line set up. 

In the hodpepodge mix is Google Voice which I use for this or for that.  (work telephony stuff went to Cisco way long time ago).

homevisionsolutions said:
One of the best home automation device are control4. This control4 software provides proper security to your home whether you are in home or not.
Control 4 is VERY non DIY friendly.  You need to be a dealer to perform any minor modifications and is out of the realm of most of the members of this forum.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Control 4 is VERY non DIY friendly.  You need to be a dealer to perform any minor modifications and is out of the realm of most of the members of this forum.

True, but they're nowhere near as user-hostile as Crestron.

cinemagicllc said:
yes you can do some research ...

Huh? And this is also posted in the camera topic (???). I fear you might be allowing your mule to do the talking ...

Anyway, I've been very happy with the crazy mix of software and hardware I've got. The MQTT libraries have made mixing and matching much everything. I love the ability to be able to inject values (weather, Air Quality, etc) into all the applications in a standard way. Using node.js and node-red manipulate the data quickly and easily. And of course a Raspberry Pi (or similar board) popped into all sort of places where a bit more power and networking are needed.

We indeed live in wondrous times.

Thanks BSR.  Here just cleaned up a forum (which I share moderation of) getting hit with a bunch of spam today.

Thanks for the hint of the NOMOROBO as I just set it up with Voip.MS, which I've been happily using for years and years. 

Though I will say setting up a PBX to have them press 1 sounds intriguing but hopefully NOMOROBO will cut down on the calls so I don't have to block some periodically in Voip.MS.

dgage said:
Thanks for the hint of the NOMOROBO as I just set it up with Voip.MS, which I've been happily using for years and years. 

Though I will say setting up a PBX to have them press 1 sounds intriguing but hopefully NOMOROBO will cut down on the calls so I don't have to block some periodically in Voip.MS.

NOMOROBO has been working pretty good for us.   Seeing your recommendation for Voip.ms set me off looking at their service.  Think I might go that way.  Just need to figure out which phone adapter to get.

JonW said:

NOMOROBO has been working pretty good for us.   Seeing your recommendation for Voip.ms set me off looking at their service.  Think I might go that way.  Just need to figure out which phone adapter to get.
I use the Linksys PAP2T and it has worked flawlessly for several years now. Not sure what the new recommendation would be but I'm sure the PAP2T can be bought on eBay.

dgage said:
I use the Linksys PAP2T and it has worked flawlessly for several years now. Not sure what the new recommendation would be but I'm sure the PAP2T can be bought on eBay.

That's the exact unit I was looking at!   What is with all the ads that say "unlocked"?  Are they locked to certain providers or country use?

Back