Loop readings

Desert_AIP said:
I don't understand how that is possible.
The zone is a continuous loop, there is no "+" side for the resistor.
The loop goes from the "+" through the resistor to the "-".
So one end is on the "+" and the other is on the "-".

If you jumper the two "-" poles of adjacent zones, then you connect the two loops together.
The zones also have internal resistors, so two jumpered loops like that will pass current through the internal resistor to the "+" pole, even if the loop of the itself is broken.

That was the problem I was having, it never saw any change in either zone.

I tried every combination I could think of, even tried blocking diodes.
But the jumpered "-" poles defeated every attempt.
Overanalyzing how a system works. Panel's only looking for voltage on the high side of the zone, not common.

Put a meter on the common and the negative of the panel on continuity. You only hook up to the negative of the panel and the high side of the zone. The common terminals across the board are common to each other and the negative of the panel, not isolated. Look at how a T-stat, keyswitch or similar gets connected to the panel. Single wire on the high side of the zone.

Trust me, I know resistors have no polarity. Used to use that humor when working with non-experienced personnel.

The solution in your case is to connect a resistor to the high side and then use a common for the panel. You would not be able to use a 1 wire configuration on a zone that supports powered 2 wire fire.

Back