m1 gold and cameras

bjl

U guys have unanimously guided me twords the elk m1 gold. I'm sure i will be more than happy with it. I have a new construction build that im doing mostly by myself. Ive almost got the house secured with doors and locks, but someone keeps going in the house when im not there. No damage or theft, but who is to say it cant start once i lock it up. What dvr and ip cams are good to go with the elk m1? What other things can be done as far as automation goes with security cams?

Thanks in advance

Temporary with no infrastructure, you're looking at a game camera, something like Reconyx or Videofied. If you're looking at DVR/NVR sort of hybrids, it depends on what sort of infrastructure is being installed and whether or not you put a embedded POE unit or a POE switch or midspans. If you're going analog, that's another beast.

bjl said:
What dvr and ip cams are good to go with the elk m1? What other things can be done as far as automation goes with security cams?

The Elk really doesn't integrate with security cameras; the only "integration" would be using I/O ports.

If you are an Apple user (iPhone/iPad) you can utilize eKeypad to log in to both Elk and security cameras (those supported) so you have a more integrated experience - rather than having to launch different apps for each. But that's really only going to give you live viewing capability.

Also, What thermostat goes good with the system?
Elk supports a few wired via XSP (e.g. Aprilaire, RCS, and Carrier). With the M1XSLZW it can also support Zwave thermostats.

Im only doing minor automation to start, should i get the isy controller now or wait till i need it later?
I'm not really familiar with, nor do I utilize an ISY controller.

One last question, can this system be operated through internet giving cellular notifications without having the cellular module?
You can setup the Elk to send emails and/or text messages that you can receive on a cell phone - this requires the Ethernet module (M1XEP).

I already have a trail cam set up. I am at the point where i want my security system up and running because of the value of some of the new items going in. So pretty much the camera system would have to be on its own with no communication with the m1. I am wanting digital ip cams without dropping to much on them. I think I'll only need 4 but would like an 8 channel dvr just in case. I have been guided twords a blue iris system, and was wandering opinions and if so another direction.

This is overkill (rampant HA OCD)....

but I use and like Blue Iris, Sighthound (formerly known as VitaminD), and Synology's Surveillance Station software for camera motion detection sensing and recording.  All three software programs trigger recording and/or alerts (via email, texts, or cell phone notifications) under a variety of circumstances.  I do not record 24/7 but trigger recording (and notification) based on events.

I like the motion analyics in Sighthound and the fact that I can create a rule ("People on Front Porch"), get notices of any violation of that rule, and yet also have a recording of any object in the camera's field of view retained for about 2 days even if not covered by the rule (which, for examples, lets me go back and see cars in the street or people on the sideway out front).  There is also an iPhone app.

I like the customizaation Blue Iris offers, and I love the BI iPhone app.  It is my preferred remote camera app.  Blue Iris is highly confirgurable as to when and what it does (I'm still learning) and I use the geolocation feature of the app to customize recording/notice features keyed to whether I am at home or not.

I don't have a standalone DVR, but recently got a Synology Diskstation (mainly for NAS needs) and am using the Surveillance Station app on the Synology DS for DVR purposes.  I like that that the Synology generally seems to give me longer recordings when triggered, but the setup is a lot more complicated and fussy than the other two products.

My suggestion is that you look at some of the other posts on the forum using prodcut names as search terms or general inquiries, and see what others here have done or tried.  That will give you a sense of what is available, and you can then download trials of whatever seems to meet your needs and desires.

When you're looking for cost-effective yet quality, I've been going with Grandstream cameras lately and installing them for clients.  My only caution is if you care about warranty, be careful where you purchase from.

They recently came out with a dirt-cheap NVR too... I use it for 24x7 recording, but I also have BlueIris running on an always-on desktop for the motion-based capture... if it picks up a little something and I want more detail, I go to the NVR.  The NVR doesn't have an iPhone app yet but it's by far the cheapest thing out there.  Otherwise I'd look to the cheaper Dahuas or something along those lines.  Obviously this isn't enterprise-grade stuff but you expressed your concerns already.

The thing is, if someone does get in *and* they tamper with your cameras and NVR then the whole thing did nothing for you - so be sure you have a way to lock it up securely.  You can also look at cameras with onboard SD storage for a backup... but I'd recommend a method of completely securing the brains of the thing, and possibly have some actions based on motion or trigger that upload the video somewhere.

We'll (as in many of us CT members) also caution - "self monitoring" is the worst idea ever because it makes you the weakest link.  There are far more situations than you realize that can make you unavailable when that phone rings.  Might be worth it to just get your security online now and be set for the future when you move in.

For thermostats, I like the HAI OmniStat for a hardwired solution. I haven't integrated Z-Wave with my elk, but since you're in the phase where you can run wires, why not go with the most reliable hard-wired system? I'm actually using an RCS system in this house but used HAI before... only reason I went RCS is because they used to make a pretty good multi-zone communicating system but unfortunately they've since discontinued it.

Here too all Grandstream except for the analog cams and one old Panasonic IP camera.  Using Zone Minder here and have yet to take the Grandstream DVR out of the box (well similiar to my Amazon Echo thing).  For integration to my OmniTouch stuff using an Omnihub  / Omnitouch panel and back feeding it with an Axis server going to a Grandstream decoder / encoder.

The Zone Minder software includes an IPhone interface.  I have recently removed an old 8 port analog card to go to the Axis Server for the Optex analog cameras.

Here also using a serially connected OmniStat 2.  I did start originally with the HAI RC-80. 

The whole CCTV IP HD and NVR stuff has technologically advanced in leaps and bounds almost changing every year now.  The specification on reasonably priced cameras are great.

Thanks guys, a lot of useful information. Im going to keep reading as turbosam said, and I'll finalize a complete system over the next few days. I cant purchase it till the bank gives me more money next week anyway.

just another data point:I used a gamecame (plotwatcher) during construction - we didn't have dialtone/IP during that work so I couldn't use any of the 'real' cameras / alarm.

as it turned out our human visitors were all our retired neighbors, who in turn would tell us they saw the other retired neighbors doing inspection! LOL. these folks are better than ADT.

Nowadays internet connectivity is so simple... a Verizon Jetpack adds $20/month to your phone bill and is about as fast as DSL... one breakin/theft/vandalism would cost many multiples of that.  

BaduFamily said:
just another data point:I used a gamecame (plotwatcher) during construction - we didn't have dialtone/IP during that work so I couldn't use any of the 'real' cameras / alarm.

as it turned out our human visitors were all our retired neighbors, who in turn would tell us they saw the other retired neighbors doing inspection! LOL. these folks are better than ADT.
Anything is better than ADT.

Back