marvell plug computer

Sounds similar. You just point a directory, configure the "hardware" resources, point to an ISO and boot.

The nice part with this is, Each virtualbox client gets it's OWN IP, and OWN Remote Desktop Connection. Then they bridge the client to your network. So, on my local lan (192.168.0.xxx) I connect (using the Microsoft Remote Desktop) to 125.???.???.??? and I get that machine on my local. I think RDP runs better, so long as you are not connecting with a smaller screen. An issue I ran into when using RDP on my phone to connect to my server at home. it ran FAST. MUCH faster than VNC...but I could not figure out how to get the RDP client to NOT resize my window. I run my server at 1280x1024. Then I connect my phone and it drops to 640x400. Plus the issues you run into with the Homeseer Speaker client not connecting to the proper sessions. Both of these issues can be worked around with a desktop RDP client...but I could not get the Mobile Version to do the same.

It is nice that it includes OpenRDP as part of the server, since sometimes I am using an OS that does not have any remote server stuff...no VNC, no RDP (XP Home).

When I last used VMware, you had to create "images" through TEXT and SCRIPT. Was too much for me to care to learn at the time. Sounds like they've refined it quite a bit. I THINK at the time only the paid version had a point and click screens to create your machine.

I don't know which runs "better"...but if VMware is that easy, I'd be pressed to use whichever one uses less resources (runs more efficiently).

Does VMWare have any built in remote desktop type stuff?

--Dan

I am noticing that x windows is putting both the Dockstar and the Chumby displays to sleep.

I can wake them up by touching the screens.

Testing an autoboot into x windows then RDP/HSTouch on the Dockstar. Less than about a minute right now.

I am not sure what you mean?

Well, VirtualBox contains OpenRDP. Essentially, by virtue of just RUNNING VirtualBox...you get RDP access to your OS.

For instance, if you made a DOS container. You could RDP into that machine, even though DOS does NOT have RDP.

--Dan

Thanks for the info on VirtualBox Dan.

I can talk to the hardware from HS via XPL. Its working today fine.

Damage,

Would you know of a way using your XPL send application to wake up the Chumby from a suspend mode?

I added the backlight functions to your original Python script such that I can dim or shut off the backlight on the display.

I'm looking to do a sort of remote control of it based on occupancy.

Pete,

if it's suspended, i think the only thing that might work would be wake on lan, if it's supported.

Damage,

Did you ever connect a USB monitor to the Seagate Dockstar?

Tweaking the Dockstar/Mimo combo for x windows. It is much quicker than the Chumby.

Testing it running a screen saver via RDP; almost instant updating versus the Chumby.

never did. i'm using them as headless nodes around the house. the infocasts are all i need for control panels.

I'm going to attempt to dismantle the Seagate Dockstar and fit it inside a double wide plastic electrical box or even a thinner box that would mount behind the Mimo. Hopefully maybe doing a custom POE to power it. The cover plate for the box will have a Mimo USB monitor on it making it a sort of small footprint 7" Touchscreen setup.

I do have a Dockstar set up with a Temp08 running XAP to the network providing temps/humidity. Its been running now for a few months. Its also running XPL. Its pretty non invasive and I've kind of just let it do its thing.

First endeavor is to create some sort of POE setup for the Dockstar. I think the PS is 12VDC and 2 AMPs. It would have to work for both the Mimo and Dockstar. I know the Mimo does draw about 500Mw or a bit more.

I found two POE injectors in my HA box of stuff. Both provide either 12VDC 1 AMP power or 5VDC 2AMP power. Will give one of these a test with the Dockstar/Mimo.

Damage, what USB memory stick (MFG) are you using with the Dockstar?

I bought 2-3 different MFG's 4-8 gb sticks and they tend to work best from a warm boot and rarely from a cold boot.

Before playing with UBoot setting up console access via net (versus my JTAG cable). I want to see why the issues.

i'm using a kingston on one and sony on the other 2. the kingston has some issues w/ cold boots.

Pete,

I've used a Sandisk Cruzer and 3 (two styles) of Kingston. Have not had [knock on wood] ANY issues with ANY of them.

--Dan

Early on I tried the smaller micrSD's (16Gb) and those too had a hard time on cold boot. I'm going to give the 4Gb micrSD cards a try.

I see that the base uboot has been modified some to include more USB devices on boot and there are some adjustments relating to the timing of the cold boot such that it does a bit more checking of the USB memory sticks.

Right now I have the Dockstart/Mimo warm booting to x windows/rdp in about 30 seconds or so.

Thinking now of a small flat plastic box which would fit on the back of the Mimo Monitor such that the only external connection on the box would be an RJ45 connection.

Back