More window sensor difficulty

Basically I use a standard 3/8" contact with screw terminals 95% of the time on residential windows. The only variation is the magnet. For doors, I tend to prefer a 3/4" recessed with 3/8" magnet combination, but there's variations due to construction, etc.

Unfortunately, with 20 years in, there's just as many vinyl window manufacturers out there and styles, but generally speaking, I've contacted just about every one of them at some point.

I'd like to talk to the engineer who decided to make the flange on these sensors only about 1/32" wide. If they just put a little larger flange it would cover the hole and a little sealer would work better too.

Mike.

Where do you guys buy prewire plugs?, I just might abandon one or two of my drill holes and plug them up permanently.  I'm having a hard time finding any online. I'm waiting to hear back from Primus Cable to see if they can drop ship some to me but thought thagt someone here could direct me to them online.

Mike..

Well I came up with a very nce solution to my oversize drilled sensor holes. I visited my local Ace Hardware last night and came up with a 1/2" OD x 3/8" ID T-shaped sleeve. I just used my fingers to turn a 31/64" drill bit through the hole, snapped the sleeve into place and then snapped the sensor into the sleeve and the thing is rock solid. Th sleeve did lift the sensor about 1/32" above the flush surface of the sill but my magnet still fits just fine.

Mike.

I don't quite understand how you used something that is T-shaped.  I had thought about suggesting a straight sleeve (like a pipe coupling) to you earlier, but didn't think it would be any more secure in the hole in the sill than the contact itself was.

RAL said:
I don't quite understand how you used something that is T-shaped.  I had thought about suggesting a straight sleeve (like a pipe coupling) to you earlier, but didn't think it would be any more secure in the hole in the sill than the contact itself was.

By T shaped I just mean that it is a sleeve with a shoulder similar to a hollow rivet shape.

Mike.

Back