retrofitting recessed window sensors

drvnbysound said:
Any finished / completed installation pictures?

drvnbysound said:
Any finished / completed installation pictures?

I have to run out right now but will take a couple later.

I installed a couple of sensors that I'm not especially proud of but it was my first attempt at this stuff. Now I'm at a point that I feel good about my work and that the connections will last many years and be easy to change if and when one fails. I like to post this stuff just to share my pain and to maybe help a new guy benefit from my mistakes.

Mike.

drvnbysound said:

I assume you don't have any concern of water sitting here and penetrating the sensor?

My hesitation to install any sensors here has been exactly that and dealing with rotten wood later.
No, the window has a good seal and there is no sign of water ever getting near this point. I also put a little silicon around the switch just in case. We've had some wind and rain and so far so good .

Mike

That's the first thing I thought also (referring to Dan's post above).  Why did you choose to install the switches at the bottom of the window?  Was it because of wiring accessibility?

BraveSirRobbin said:
That's the first thing I thought also (referring to Dan's post above).  Why did you choose to install the switches at the bottom of the window?  Was it because of wiring accessibility?

I chose the bottom of the window because it seemed the best place to put a magnet on the window sash. When the window is  closed there is 1/8" space between the sash and the sill that allowed me to attach a 1/8" thick magnet to  the sash without drilling a hole in the sash. I just attached the magnet with a little barge cement.

I've seen the arguments against drilling the sill but I can't imagine it being a problem. In all of my 60 years I have never seen rain come in under a window sash. And also because of wiring accessibility. In the garage the wall studs are still exposed but my house is finished and I pulled the wires straight down from the sill to the basement. 

I also think that after using a little silicon on the switch you can probably train a garden hose at it and  it would not leak.

Mike.

I have to admit that I did consider that the sill is not the best location for the switch and have a backup plan. If a sensor becomes loose or I see that water is getting near any of the sensors I plan to laminate a sheet of vinyl over the entire sill covering the sensor completely. I saw this done at a neighbor's house that was installed by ADT. I'm guessing that the installer got into trouble and came up with this solution to hide his work. It looks nice and neat and is a perfect seal. It crossed my mind that a little white swimming pool liner patch would work too....maybe a small round patch just a little larger diameter than the sensor. I'm betting that none of this will ever be necessary and  I'll drive off that bridge when I come to it.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
  I'll drive off that bridge when I come to it.
Cross!  Don't drive off of it! ;)

Yea, that makes sense that you chose that bottom location based on ease of wiring.  Sounds like you should be OK based on your observations!

I just came up with the idea of using little round swimming pool liner patches to seal the recessed sensors as I was typing my last post and the more I think about it the more I like it. It would make a nicer finish in any case compared to seeing the sensor. Maybe a nice idea in upscale homes.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I have to admit that I did consider that the sill is not the best location for the switch and have a backup plan. If a sensor becomes loose or I see that water is getting near any of the sensors I plan to laminate a sheet of vinyl over the entire sill covering the sensor completely. I saw this done at a neighbor's house that was installed by ADT. I'm guessing that the installer got into trouble and came up with this solution to hide his work. It looks nice and neat and is a perfect seal. It crossed my mind that a little white swimming pool liner patch would work too....maybe a small round patch just a little larger diameter than the sensor. I'm betting that none of this will ever be necessary and  I'll drive off that bridge when I come to it.

Mike.
Sounds more like the window guys F-ed up...which I've seen more times than not when vinyl's are installed on a house with a system that already exists. If the contacts still work in your neighbor's house, forget about ever servicing them.

As I've said before, the window sill is not the issue with recessed contacts, the issue is with how the vinyl extrusion is constructed and/or any integral weeping that exists within the extrusion (most vinyl windows have some sort integral unless they're a 100% closed extrusion.

Usually side is a big faux pax for recessed contacts 90% of the time on double hung, first due to the gaps involved and second due to the spring balances that typically exist in that space.

Back