Movie Ripping and Playback

How long does it take you to rip a Blu-Ray movie, and what kind of cpu?

It take forever to rip and compress to BD9 - probably 14 hrs on average. I start it at night before bed and it's done when I get home.

It is on an older pentium 4 3ghz with 1G of ram - no SATA onboard, using an IDE -> SATA converter for the BR drive. I've ripped it on a newer machine (core 2 duo @ 3ghz w/4g ram) and it seemed like it was only about 4 hrs for the same process.

If I just rip without the 'recompression', it's about 1.5hrs.

Also, my testing with AnyDVD tells me that it was a little faster to just rip a BR (over DVDFab)....I just liked the interface and features of DVDFab.

W

Kent - What do you use to rip your DVD's and for playback?

I use SmartRipper for DVDs (freeware). AnyDVD for Blu-Ray disks. I use a combination of WMC, Media Player Classic (freeware), and a set-top box from Netgear for players. I am starting to get into larger integration myself, but at the momment this has been working very well for me.

KentDub,

I am always interested in the algorthms used for compression. The "approximation of an approximation" is what has historically created said algorithms past, present and will in the future.

Especially what I have seen just in the last few years for both pictures, audio and video.

I remember purchasing my first DVD burner spending way too much for it and making my first DVD. I enjoyed the BR Planet earth and actually ripped it to 1080 to see if my computer could play it a couple of years back. It was a test of sorts to see the difference between a BR rip and the original.

Like vcd help dot com relating so various applications used for capture etc....lots of info for the newbee...

Kent - I haven't heard too much about SmartRipper. You say you have been using it with consistent and great results? What format do you save your videos in? Thanks for the help.

Kent - I haven't heard too much about SmartRipper. You say you have been using it with consistent and great results? What format do you save your videos in? Thanks for the help.
SmartRipper is a much older program (discontinued actually but you can still get it). It was one of the very first solid rippers to emerge onto the scene. I keep it around simply because it does what it was meant to do very well. It its purely a ripper, and doesn’t offer any recompression options. It rips in 'folder' mode, and I use Nero afterwards to put it back into an ISO. I like to use it because it offers stream processing (i.e. I can drop foreign language audio tracks), saving a small amount of space without changing any quality. It has movie-only/full disk modes as well - it even lets you pick/choose the individual programs/streams/chapters you want to rip if you ever needed to do something more complex (let's say ripping a DVD of a TV-series that 'movie mode' has trouble with, but you wanted to drop the menus, etc.). I do tend to prefer AnyDVD these days just because of how simple it is, however it does cost money, so for the freeware solution I would highly recommend SmartRipper.

I have used some other software over the years as well. The main point I'm stressing to keep everything in its original format - all I need to do is remove the encryption. To that end, any program that lets you rip without recompressing will yield the same result. Approximately 128(@8gb/ea) dual-layer DVDs can fit on a single TB (in practice it's a lot more, upwards of 200). Player compatibility issues can be potentially solved by integrating a virtual DVD-drive (SlySoft, the company that makes AnyDVD has a great freeware virtual DVD drive). The ISO's can be 'mounted' into the virtual drive so your computer thinks the disk was put in a physical drive -- now any program that could play a real DVD can now play your ISOs. The challenge would be to integrate it with an on-screen guide, but I imagine there are solutions out there for people who have large DVD/blu-ray changers that are automated - it would work the same way, except with the virtual drive.

Again, as I have said earlier, this approach works very, very well for standard DVDs, but presents additional challenges when working with blu-ray disks.

Smartripper: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SmartRipper+download

Thank you for the informative response. I am going to get a good handle on ripping DVD's before attempting Blu-Ray's.

Will AnyDVD do what I need on its own, or do I need another program to work in conjunction? If I do need another program, why? Thanks.

Anydvd will do it all. Check out VCDHELP dot com. Here you will find all of the applications, reviews, Hardware and reviews. Many of the now "paid" applications started off as freebees.

Earlier it was mentioned the time involved in a BR rip and save. Years ago a DVD rip and save were very time consuming. Intel and AMD were benchmarking their processors based on how fast this process was done. They were doing this when ripping DVDs was not spoken of much.

DVDFab without question for me - a good example is the new "New Moon" DVD in which the industry decided to try out a new encryption scheme. I bought the disc the day of release, realized it would not rip, and within 24 hours DVDfab had a new version out that dealt with the "issue"...

As a side note, I rip one at a time (I have one of those fancy machines that you load a bunch of discs into and it automatically loads them into the computer and presses "go" - yeah - it's called a 7 year old son), but then once a year I set DVDFab up and let it crunch all the ripped VOBs into xvid files to save space - it does so in batch mode with no need to touching. Great for Christmas vacation.

Actually, at a recent trade show (seems like it was CES but I really can't remember) there was a company that offered this cool robotic thing that would load DVD/Blurays and rip them automatically. In case you have a big stack I suppose. But they also had a service - if you send them your physical DVDs they would send you a hard drive back with them all ripped on it. Curious if anyone has heard of or used this kind of device or service.

There is a software called "magicISO", you can use it to store all the DVD to the hard drive.
The install a software called "virtual Clone Drive", which will mount each ISO image as a DVD drive. From that, you can directly play all the videos.

I use an HTPC running Windows 7. WMC (Windows Media Center) has a really nice interface. Install http://shark007.net/ and this will cover anything that WMC will not play native (ie MKV).

Windows 7 does not have a native player for blue-ray or .mts files so you have to use a third party program to play the content. I did not much care for the delay that occurs as the .iso mounted nor the the splash screen of the third party player as it would go from WMC's interface. I now use http://www.makemkv.com/ to create the mkv container for my blue-ray rip.

You can remove all the garbage (previews) and keep it a pure 1:1 rip. You will lose chapters or menus. Which for me is a non issue as I despise previews and it saves space. Average Blue-ray Movie is only about 20g.

I have also used a mix of programs that are add-ins to WMC. (MediaBrowser, MyMovies)

My three year old son knows how to use this setup with ease... so is definitely spouse/kid approved.

So i'm trialing DVDFab but am a bit confused with the settings.

Previously i was using DVD Shrink which makes VIDEO_TS and AUDO_TS folders with NFO and VOB files in them (i use uncompressed setting and do the entire disc including all extra's and such)

It seems DVDFab in the DVD ripper mode (creates only VOB file and doesn't make the audio and video TS subfolders. Since i already ripped 100+ DVD's using that method i'd like to stay consistent.

I am looking at DVDFab because DVDShrink is having issues with some of the newer discs. I even got a trial of DVDAnywhere which helped a little but DVD Shrink is still having issues

I was hoping to stick with DVDAnywhere since that allows me to stick a DVD in the kitchen PC's DVD player and have the SageServer play it through extenders anywhere in the house.

Any suggestions on the settings for DVD Fab to achieve what i want it to do (rip entire discs in VIDEO_TS / AUDIO_TS folders without loss/compression)?

Back