My experience with the new Leviton VRUSB-1US Installer Stick, Vizia+ Installer tool and a few not-qu

Odeen

Hi folks,

I've spent a good part of the weekend playing with my new ZWave toys and Premise. Premise shows promise, but I'm a little disappointed my choice for a USB installer stick...

To make a short story long, on Friday I took delivery of the VRUSB-1US Installer Stick, downloaded version 1.0.4 of the Vizia RF+ installer software and used it to set up my partially completed ZWave network. The network currently consists of:
~10 Monster Illuminessence IWD-600S dimmers. One of the dimmers is identified as a Leviton RZI06 dimmer by the Installer Tool, the rest are properly ID'ed as Monster.
2 Schlage / Trane thermostats courtesy of Radio Shack
1 RCS TZ43 thermostat
1 Leviton RZS15 switch
1 Intermatic CA9000 PIR sensor
1 Leviton VRC0P RS232 interface

Monster Illuminessence are "level 2" compatible with Leviton hardware, according to Leviton's own documentation, and support two-way status reporting. The Trane thermostat, if you haven't raided your own Radio Shack yet, is an OEM RCS TZ43 minus remote and outdoor sensors. The Intermatic PIR is... weird. :)

I'm having a few issues with the network that I'm hoping to get resolved in some way or another...:

1) The Vizia RF+ Installer Software is that it does NOT see my Monster Illuminessence dimmers as "routing slave" devices, and, therefore, is NOT allowing me to associate them to the VRC0P. The only routing slaves I see is are two devices identified as Leviton - the Monster dimmer with a mistaken identity, and the real RZS15 switch. I need to associate all my dimmers with the VRC0P to get status updates in Premise without polling.

2) The TZ43 shows up as an "unknown device" with thermostat properties. (By comparison, the Trane thermostats are ID'ed correctly, and show up with proper thermostat icons)

3) The Vizia RF+ Installer software cannot make heads or tails out of the CA9000. It thinks that it is a dimmer (not a sensor!) and, obviously, cannot associate it with one of my dimmers. All I really want is to have the PIR activate one of my dimmers if it sees activity, and keep the lights on for 5 minutes.

4) I am unable to send information to a non-Leviton handheld controller (a GE 45601 Advanced Remote). When I initially tried setting up the network with the GE as the primary, I was able to dump the entire network into the installer stick, make the installer stick primary, and keep the 45601 to control my lights without leaving the couch. Of course silly me had to reset every switch and redo the network thinking THAT was the reason I couldn't associate my Monster dimmers with the VRC0P.

There's a lot to like about the software - such as very straightforward signal testing and route optimiziation features. However, it looks like it simply needs to be more aware of non-Leviton devices. Never mind devices that were made by Leviton for other manufacturers.

(By the way, could Thinkessentials figure out PIR sensors, and associate Leviton-by-proxy dimmers with a VRC0P? Did I just buy the wrong stick? :( Does anyone have a copy of Thinkessentials I can borrow? :p )

I also have the VRUSB-1US. However, I have 20 nodes and all the devices are Leviton devices. The Installer tool version 1.0.4 is nice but it also needs some work. I have a couple of issues with the software.

I would suggest you also post your question at the Leviton forum site (Leviton Forum). I have posted several questions and they do get back to you but it may take a day or two.

Also, I have called their support line. They try to be helpful. The first line support staff is still coming up to speed on the installer software.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I posted the same message on the Leviton forums, and it's awaiting moderator approval there.

It's frustrating, though... there doesn't seem to be true vendor-agnostic installer software except for MAYBE Homeseer's Z-Tool, which came out in 2007, crashes on Windows 7 x64, and does not support the installer stick.

Back