Z wave frustrations with Yale lock and Leviton VRC0P

I have a Yale lock, VRC0P, and the Leviton Vizia RF+ USB stick for programming. It was working fine but somehow I have lost functionality. I don’t know what happened so I’m trying to go back to square 1.

Unfortunately, this has led to endless hours of frustration with the Leviton Installer Tool. It constantly has “The current network file is not for a primary controller” up on the screen in a green box wherever I move the mouse.

I’ve tried every logical option; Recover Network, Match USB stick to File, Program Entire Network, etc. Tried making a new network; it doesn't see the lock (which I can't remove from the original network).

From reading endless manuals and forum posts I realize I need to remove the devices in order to start fresh. However I see no way to do that. Replace/Remove Node and Rediscover Node are grayed out as is Transfer Primary Role.

Can anyone offer advice?

I was able to get it working (although I can not explain the procedure). I was hoping to write up a how-to procedure but there were too many false starts and things that just didn't make sense. It was important to un-enroll the lock and then re-enroll. The whole primary/secondary scheme of the Vizia RF+ and VRC0P made no sense with menu items grayed out when one thinks they should be active. 

If anyone gets caught up in the madness, don't give up and the hardware is probably not defective.

The lack of documentation is the largest problem; and I did plenty of searching. 

1. How many Z-Wave devices do you have installed that support beam/security class
  2. How far is the lock from VRC0P+3?
  3. What version of RFIT are you using?
  4. Can you manipulate the lock in RFIT?
I experience some of the same random lock has stopped working failures but with Kwikset locks. The simplest fix is to replace the batteries and reboot lock multiple times. Next is to exclude/include lock again. This step will require lots of walking around the house – depending on square-footage. After updating VRC0P+3, you may consider rebooting. One key to puzzle is using RFIT to manipulate lock. If RFIT can lock/unlock, then you know there is some issue with VRC0P+3.
It sounds like your VRUSB became corrupted with the primary/secondary confusion

Back