Need Help: OP2 Not Connecting

I recently moved and took my OP2 with me.   New house has new modem (Arris TM822A) and router (Linksys WRT1900ac).    

I can't connect to OP2 via PC Access, nor can I ping the IP.   I've read through all the posts related to this issue but can't seem to find the correction.

On the board, have 1 solid light and the 1 to the right of it is blinking.

On the router, the following is set:
* DHCP Server is enabled
* IP Address Range is xx.yy.zz.100 to xx.yy.zz.199  (I set the OP2 to xx.yy.zz.130 - trying setting it outside of the range too)
* NAT is enabled (not sure if this matters)
* Port is set to 4369 and opened that port on the Linksys (not sure if this matters)

I've changed cables and re-set OPII, the router and the modem - nothing seems to trigger a connection.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. 

So, I assume you are trying to connect from inside the house.  First, manually set an IP address of the panel with a console.  Something like 192.168.0.1  sould be fine.  Then connect one end of the ethernet cable to your PC, the other end to the panel.  Next you will need to manually set the IP address in your PC. Control Panel, Networking, Change Adapter Settings (on left), Pick your wired ethernet connection, Click the "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", then select Use the following IP address"
Then enter 192.168.0.2 for IP addres
255.255.255.0 for gateway
192.168.0.1 for default gateway

Then you should be able to connect.  If you still can't you may need to try serial to get it running.

I was able to directly connect to the OP2 from my PC.    Does that mean that my board is ok and it's a router setting?     I still can't connect via my home internet, nor is the IP address of OP2 appearing on the network.

I have a few OmniTouch 7's that won't work unless I can get the OP2 on the network.   Is that right?

If you can connect direct via PC, then that rules out the PC and the OP, assuming you're using the same PC, that would also rule out a firewall on that machine.

Assuming you're still referring to the LAN and not the WAN, the next item would be the router. Assuming your PC can get on the WAN to the web would eliminate a basic setting issue there.

Sounds like a firewall issue within the router. Read through pages 25-28 of your manual.

First, set up DHCP reservation for the IP assigned to the OP. That will pull it out of the pool of addresses that the router can assign.

Second would be to configure the firewall. I'd probably disable the entire thing, assuming you either have AV or Windows firewall.

Third would be to put the OP's IP into the DMZ with appropriate ports, assuming you're exposing to the outside world. (pg 37, 39-40 if your ISP blocks ports)

Fourth would be to configure the DNS, if you're not using a static IP and want to access from the outside world.

Made significant progress and have OP2 now connecting both on the LAN and WAN.   One last issue.   I have a Linksys SE1500 5-port Fast Ethernet Switch.   When I plug the OmniTouch or even the OP2 into/thru this switch it no longer allows me to connect.    The OP2 and OmniTouch's only will connect when plug in thru the router itself.

Will this switch just not work or is there a trick to it?    Will it work with a gigabit switch?

The switch should not make a difference to the OP2 or the OmniTouch.  It should be pretty much invisible. Are other devices able to connect through the switch?  Is is possible that your cable between the switch and the router is bad?  What do the LEDs on the switch show?

The switch lights are green.   I have the router going thru the switch and that works.   The setup is Modem to Switch; then Switch to Router.    If I plug the OP2 into the switch it doesn't work.  If I plug it into the router it does.   Problem is that I need the router in another location so have to figure out a way to get the switch working.

Anything I can try?

:hesaid:

I agree with Ano.  You can't connect a switch directly to a modem.  Unless the modem has its own built in router, it will only be able to communicate with one downstream device.

I'm sure you have figured this out, but for others...

Make sure you power cycle the cable modem whenever you change the directly connected device.

Most cable modems will bind to the MAC Address of a device, when you swap it out for another device, the new device will not pick up a dhcp address from the modem or provider until you reboot the modem.

..ct

Back