Need wiring suggestions/help for a first-timer on a short timeline...

Shag

Hey, all. Long story short, just bought a house that recently began construction, and I just got confirmation from the builder that I can pull my own LV wiring. Unfortunately, that looks to be happening in just about a week, which doesn't exactly give me much lead time to figure this all out. Hoping you folks can help me on short notice, as I'm also traveling this coming week, further reducing my time.

Anyway, house is a 2-story with an unfinished basement, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around what all I want to plan for. I'm looking to have whole-home audio for sure, with keypads in the various zones. Distributed video holds some level of interest, as I would like to have a media pc in my wiring closet, but will be running Directv boxes for my primary source of video (probably a Genie). I'd definitely like to be able to stream music (Spotify, Pandora, etc) from a mobile device to the distributed audio system.

- should I be running wire for a security system, or are security companies adept at installing after the fact?
- Would be nice to be able to mount a camera outside the front door, and access that feed from tvs
- What should I be considering in terms of running conduit?
- do folks typically terminate coax/ethernet near the floor, or figure out exactly where your displays will be, and recess there?
- should I put a box at ever termination point, or just tack behind the wall? Particularly for future zones that won't be in use initially.
- what am I not thinking of, that I'll be annoyed about later?

I'm planning a full home theater with projector in the basement, utilizing a Markertek rack to house the HT equipment (did this in my last house). Do folks typically tie their distributed systems into the same wring closet/system as their HT? The basement will be unfinished for a couple years, I would imagine.

I think at this point I'm mostly concerned with planning/running the wiring, rather than the exact system of controls/amps - I figure with the right wiring scheme, I should be able to shim in most any system. That said, would definitely be interested in recommendations there.

Zones:
- family room/kitchen (shared space with no walls - figured they should be the same zone?)
- master bedroom
- master bathroom (does it make sense to to the bathroom separate?)
- office
- deck/patio (planning on both a deck and patio eventually - would like speakers for both levels, but same zone, with a control panel in both levels - not sure if this is possible)
- garage

Possible future zones:
- 2nd/3rd/4th bedrooms
- HT room (would like to be able to feed the shared audio into HT)

Another challenge I'm trying to figure out is how to deal with my family room. The tv is designed to go above a fireplace with built-in cabinetry surrounding the fireplace. Trying to figure out how to deal with supplying video to that tv location (blu-ray, steaming device, etc). There is no connectivity from the cabinetry to the tv, though I could add it, if I wanted - just not sure about punching through the woodwork.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!

should I be running wire for a security system, or are security companies adept at installing after the fact?

You do not have a lot of time to plan your LV wiring.  I have utilized an alarm company for security wiring in a new home (during construction) and have done LV wiring around the same time before completion of a new home.   The security company wired every window and door.  They also wired for PIRs everywhere, keypads, et al.  The only change to the original plans were that I had they change the home run to the panel location as they wanted to put the panel in the master bedroom closet and I didn't.

Best to do all of the LV cabling before the walls are up.  Review your electrical and you may want to add more circuits / outlets for HA needs.  Here post build I separated circuits in the family room related to multimedia, HA stuff et all.

Typically alarrm company LV wire guys were top notch and very quick.  I do my own LV typically but not something I do every day.  It was easy for me to do it in a home without the walls up but it looked much easier for the alarm company guys that did it everyday.

With your short time frame I would come up with a plan for all of your LV wiring (including security) and ask for a bid from the security company for all of your cabling and see what they come up with relating to money.  Then also put them on the "wire" telling them they have a very short time frame to complete said endeavor. 

They could probably wire your whole house in less than a day (not terminating anything).  I helped a friend with his new home (> 5k SF) and we wired for everything in two days (old as we are).  Try to cut a time and materials deal with them maybe?

There are a number of good guides for this if you look around the net.

I would avoid ADT at all cost.  I haven't had experience with having a security company do LV wiring so I am not sure the others would pressure you into a contract.  Most make good money on the monitoring so try to lock you in.

Nothing beats wired sensors for doors and such.  But you may have a bit of an issue coordinating it.  You need to put the wiring in before drywall, then after the door frame is in but before the inside trim gets put on the frame you need to install the sensors.  You could pull the trim or possibly fish the wire out but that is the easiest way to do it.

Take pictures of all the wiring (and plumbing and other things too) before the drywall goes up.  Very handy when adding things.

You can just leave the wires behind the drywall (if the local inspectors are ok with that).  If its a regular size box or speakers, etc it is pretty easy to fish the wires out if you know exactly where they are. 

Run conduit where it will be difficult to add wires later, especially if you thing you may need to add something there.

Run conduit to attic from wiring closet.  Unfinished basement helps as you can run up for 1st floor and down from attic for 2nd floor. 

Welcome!  This topic comes up often here... the basic gist is wire for everything you can think of and then add more - and when you think you're done, add even more.  Wiring after the fact is hard - in a two story, it gets even harder - on exterior walls it's borderline impossible.  When going around the home, think of how you might attempt future wiring as TV technologies change and where you might want conduit for some potential future use (someday touchscreen location, etc) - think about how you'd wire in the future and plan accordingly.

Typically when the builder is letting you sneak in, they won't let you put in the J Boxes - they want your stuff hidden after electrical signoff and before drywall so that the inspector will never really be able to tell you were there - or want to inspect your work.  That means tacking up your wires on the studs as far back out of the way as possible, because the drywall guys be in a hurry and WILL NOT look out for your wires - it's up to you to make sure they're far enough out of the way that the nails won't hit them, and that the roto-zip tool won't nick them.

When it comes to doors/windows for security, ALWAYS pre-wire!!!  Wiring after-the-fact is very difficult and more expensive; and wireless costs 10x as much.

Back