New Firmware 3.10A old comm/time problems back

Day 5.

Network cable remains disconnected. 

Going to try a cold reset (battery and power) of the panel today before connecting network cable to see if that helps.

pete_c said:
I had an unusal "thing" happen a couple of nights ago.  I went looking to modify some stuff via PCA and could not get to the panel.  I then noticed that nothing was working which was connected to the network interface (all of the Omnitouch 5.7e screens were sitting at the connecting prompt).

Let me tell you about something very similar that was happening to me.  In fact I even contacted HAI on this one.

Initially running 3.10D.  So I noticed that the Ethernet port was completely dead because CQC couldn't connect, PC Access couldn't connect, etc.  Only a full power reset would cure it.  So it was fixed for a while then it happened again. And again.  I checked CQC logs and HAIKU Helper logs and determined that it was failing the same time every day.  Then I noticed I recently changed HAI code for my pool pumps and they were shutting off at the time as my Ethernet port failure.

I wasn't sure if it was a HW problem, but I was meaning to upgrade my OMNI board to the new FW upgradable model, so I thought now was as good a time as any, so I updated the HW.  Upgraded to 3.11C and the problem remained, so not a HW issue.  Long story short, I rewrote much of my HAI code from scratch and problem solved. 

SO, there is definitely the possibility of a software problem of some type CAN kill the Ethernet port.  I don't know what, but there is something strange happening. 

Yup; here contacted HAI Technical support when I first noted issues.  It was with the Omnistat RC-80 to Omnitstat 2 installation.

I do also have an OPII legacy in Florida.  Much simpler set up with no issues now for the last 3-4 years.

That said the only issue was the serial comm issue between the Omnitouch serially connected screens, network PCA, time sync and the serial com software I was using.

I am using HAI network stuff (software PCA and Snaplink and Omnitouch 5.7e screens); I have added an Omnitouch legacy serial hub and video hub and do not count this piece relating to the network issues.

Support was very good.  We swapped the Omnistat 2's some 3 times.  But the real issue I think was not related to the Omnistat 2 but rather the software.  That is my personal opinion though.

I am OK right now with a pure serial connection.  IE: Omnitouch legacy, Omnitstat 2 (serial), et al is working just fine.  Omnitouch network is disconnected such that I have just a blue loading screen on the Omnitouch 5.7e screens, can't use PCA nor snaplink to test the network stuff.

The time is fine and my events / scheduled stuff is working OK.

The "old fix" was to disconnect the network interface for a few days then reconnect it. 

Having to do a cold reset is really a mickey mouse way to fix my issue and is a PITA and would be difficult to do remotely (disconnect the battery and AC?)

Long story short, I rewrote much of my HAI code from scratch and problem solved.

Then you are ahead of HAI relating to your plugin and their Omnitouch 5.7e touchscreens (untouched base OS), PCA and Snaplink software; eh?

I have never tried CQC / HAI plugin or HAIKU (mostly cuz I am getting old?)

I have Snaplink, and still the older OmniTouch.  When my Ethernet port stopped, any network connection stopped.  It wouldn't even ping, but panels and serial ports seemed to work fine, just no Ethernet.  If I get a chance, I'll see if I can isolate the problem in the code.  In any case, bugs in your HAI code can cause what appear to be HAI hardware failures. 

Thanks Ano.

Yeah here the "issue" will manifest itself different. 

Network connectivity becomes piss poor literally with a very slow (with disconnects) PCA startup and Snaplink connectivity. 

Snaplink shows an on and off connection. 

Omnitouch 5.7e connectivity slows way down.  (I quit paying attention to these screens)

The legacy serial Omnitouch shows zero for Omnistat ambient temperature but flickers occasionally with the right temp. 

Most notible though aside from the network is the time goes off; way off like 20 minutes off in the span of 60 minutes.

Since my last post I have unplugged the network twice as the time sync went off.  I didn't notice the thermostat comm issue the has time.  This morning looked and the time was off again.  This is a PITA because I am now syncing the time and disconnecting the network such that my events work on schedule but have no network connectivity.

04/06/2013 09:54:29 INFO: CoreServer: Starting up server
04/06/2013 09:54:33 INFO: CoreServer: CONNECTION STATUS: Connecting
04/06/2013 09:54:33 INFO: CoreServer: CONTROLLER IS: OmniPro II (3.11C)
04/06/2013 09:54:33 INFO: CoreServer: Retrieving named units
04/06/2013 09:54:34 INFO: CoreServer: Unsolicited notifications enabled
04/06/2013 09:55:00 WARN: TimeSyncTimer: Controller time 04/06/2013 09:21:00 out of sync by 2040.1830957 seconds
04/06/2013 09:55:19 INFO: CoreServer: Shutting down server
04/06/2013 09:55:19 INFO: CoreServer: CONNECTION STATUS: Disconnected
04/06/2013 09:55:26 INFO: CoreServer: Starting up server
04/06/2013 09:55:27 INFO: CoreServer: CONNECTION STATUS: Connecting
04/06/2013 09:55:28 INFO: CoreServer: CONTROLLER IS: OmniPro II (3.11C)
04/06/2013 09:55:28 INFO: CoreServer: Retrieving named units

Pete, what program do you use to connect to the panel? I know its not CQC because your logs look too good.  :wacko:  Is that HomeSeer? 

Try this, because it will rule out lots of things.  Use PC Access and completely remove your HAI programming and download that to the panel. You can leave the names and voices, just delete all your programming. (Of course save a backup first.) Now are the time and network problems occuring? If it solves the problem, like I think it will, then you probably have a version of the bug I had killing the Ethernet port. 

Thank-you ano

The HAI logger was written by rsw686.  I asked him if I could utilize it to look at my HAI panel while having my "issue".  It's posted over here:

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/21333-new-firmware-310a-old-commtime-problems-back/page-3

I will back up the panel and remove the automation programming.  Should I remove all of the programming (zone/unit set up et al?)?

Yup tonight the time was off 30 minutes and the network connectivity was not good.

If I'm correct, and its just a guess, just remove the programming. Everything else can stay. If you call HAI I know they will say remove everything and do a full reset. But from my experience, it's something in the program causing the problem.

I suspect around the time when HAI was tweaking the Access Control/Zigbee stuff that the problem started.

If clearing the program doesn't fix it, then it's a different problem then I'm seeing.

If you call HAI I know they will say remove everything and do a full reset
Yes; thinking Fred suggested that early on in this thread or another similiar one.  Originally I wanted to avoid that.  It probably wouldn't be a big deal though.

Day 1 with no programming lines in place.  I noticed that I have no disconnects or time outs on the network connection.  The comm between thermostat ambient temperature and legacy serial Omnitouch screens is good with no flashing zero temperatures.  Same for the serial plugin from HAI panel to Homeseer and same for the PCA thermostat status ambient temperature and same on the snaplink connection.  This is good.  I did though see that the time was off by 20 minutes and adjusted it early this morning.  6-8 hours later time, network and serial comm seem to be just fine.  I have moved the outdoor lighting schedules right now to the HS box UPB stuff which took 5 minutes and not an issue.  The NIC timeout stuff would make the Omnitouch 5.7e screens useless (so I didn't watch them).  The other security stuff programmed in will not ding WAF.

Day 1 - 9 hours or so.  Time is right, network comm is good, serial comm is good. 

Thank you for your help ano.

Day - 1 - close to 24 hour mark, Network connectivity became worthless, time was off 30 minutes, comm to thermostat on Omnitouch 5.7's, PCA, serial software plugin (homeseer) cropped up again.

I reloaded programmed events (this is a WAF thing) and disconnected network interface. 

I have never considered downgrading firmware.  It seems now that the disconnect of the NIC for a day or so to fix the problem doesn't work anymore.  Firmware version 10b worked via the mickey mouse fix of disconnecting the network interface for a day or so.  10c seems to have made the issue worse.

I might wipe it clean and start from scratch; line by line, zone by zone, unit by unit; etc; PITA though.

I'm running 3.10C without problems.  Have 4 OmniStat's (2 wired, 2 Zigbee) that all have the correct time, and Ethernet port works.  Is it possible that the Homeseer serial connection is causing issues?  Those guys net get to work on a network version.  That was the main reason I dropped Homeseer years ago.  Even then I was having problems with the serial connection.

Understood ano.  What else do you have connected to your OPII panel?  How do you connect to the OPII network interface? 

Historically when the issue first cropped up I did test removing the Homeseer serial interface and it had no effect on my "issues" good or bad.

Today the plugin is worthless to me and mostly way too slow and disfunctional lately.  I will give that another try today before downgrading firmware.

Mine is pretty full system.  So I about 40 wired zones, maybe 15 wireless with the HAI/GE receiver, maybe 45 UPB devices, 3 Zigbee locks, 4 OmniStat2s (2 Zigbee), I have CQC connected via network interface, HAIku Helper via network, Snaplink sometimes, PC Access sometimes.  I don't have a 5.7 Omnitouch, but I have an older smaller one.

I am at one expansion board (~30 zones?) 

I am around 35 UPB switches, plus some Z-Wave and some X-10, Russound connection, 1 Omnistat2 (plus temperature sensors and combo sensors), and 2 and 2 Omnitouch, video hub / omnitouch hub and homeseer serial connection. 

I do have the russound serial port split to two connections right now; one to the panel and the other to a digi edgeport for HS (disconnected though)

Reconnected everything this afternoon and put the panel on the network. 

Running snaplink on one of the little tablet touchscreen on my home office desk watching it and it looks OK this afternoon after about 3 hours. 

I did also shut off the heat yesterday (do recall having issues a while back when switching from heat to off to AC or vice versa.

Back