New Home Construction Project

christ! that's your house? Suddenly I feel very very constrained. I have a 1650 sqft 1-level in NorCal, and if both my neighbor & I lean out far enough, we can almost shake hands.

Let me stew on that, I'll post back tomorrow night with some thoughts. This may take some time to figure out the most optimal plan.

BTW, do you own any equipment you want to re-use? (i.e., A/V receiver, multi-zone controller, etc)

one more thing: are you stuck on Dish, or would you consider D*? The thing I like about D* is that there's a bunch of RS232 controllable receivers, which I personally prefer over IR. I don't have to worry about stacking STBs and getting cross-signals over RS232.

I am not stuck on DIsh. Since we are moving, we will be leaving our satellite dishes most likely. Also, I do not believe we are under any kind of contract with Dish.

I will look into DirecTv(that is what D* is right?). THanks again!

yeah, direcTV.

So...got any components you want to keep, or are you going with the clean-slate approach?

Of course, out here where IVB and I are, that house would cost 5 million dollars or more, on a plot of land one foot square larger than the house. If you actually want a yard, that'll be 6 million. Last I heard the median house price out here is about $450K, and that's down a bit. There are lots of houses around my area here which are basically what you'd think of as a college students crash pad type houses that where going for over half a mil. But, I guess it's a statement about how much bucks was flowing out here during the golden years that within probably 5 blocks down the road I live on there are probably 7 or 8 folks who bought one of those, then tore it down and built a much nicer one, which I'd hate to think how much that cost, probably a million.

Meanwhile I'm still living in my Barbie Doll sized apartment...

I take it the house doesn't have a basement?

You're right -- it's a challenge to figure out where to put an equipment closet. One thought might be to put it in the garage and then do a built-in cabinet in the theater for the theater equipment, DVD storage, etc. The garage would house the media server and be the home-run location for all of your structured cable, audio, and security. Another thought would be to use the game room behind the theater for all of the equipment.

Where is the furnace (or furnaces) and other utilities? What about the phone and electrical demarcation points?

Nice floorplan, btw. Looks good for entertainment flow.

Dean Roddey said:
...without Barbie.
hahahaha

Aw bud, I am sorry. Where do you guys live at again?

Out here, housing is pretty similair. The Median house price is about $450K. Its ridiculous.
ANyways, lets not dwell on the house! hehehe

IF I were to use the garage for the HA area, would there be any cons to it? Which garage are yo speaking of? THe 3 car or 1 car?

I am still trying to figure out where the theater equipment should go.....I was thinking of doing a false wall for the Stage/Screen, and having hidden panels hiding the theater equipment. IDK.............but we meet with the framer tomorrow! EEEEEK

Help me oh great. wise cocooners! Your my only hope!

If you have the option, and are looking for a guest-proof theater, i.e. where all the bits aren't exposed, I'd have the room built and then have another frame built inside of that, on which are mounted (with heavy duty velcro) fabric covered panels. They would be with accoustically transparent for the ones that speakers are behind, and heavier in other places.

Behind that, youc an put all the speakers, amps, sound absorption devices and so forth, so that they are invisible to the users, but very easy to get to. Pop one of the panels off and you can just walk around theater and get to everything easily. As long as you mask all the LEDs and on the equipment back there, the cloth walls will seem completely solid. You can always do the IMAX thing for guests during the theater on sequence and blink the lights back there so that all the equipment shows up for a few moments, while the announcer describes the equipment.

There's a lot to be said for this type of configuration. You end up with a completely smooth inner surface to the theater, so that it just looks like a room with a screen floating at on end, but can have all kinds of ugly sound absorption and difusing stuff behind it, with all the cables and equipment exposed and easy to get to.

The panels can be quite expensive since they are just a wood frame with stretched cloth. You can do something like dark gray with lighter gray accents or something, for good light control and it won't unbalance the color temp by reflecting colored light back onto the screen.

I have plans similar to this for the theater.

However, I am not exactly visualizing how this whole "go behind the wall" thing would work. Do you happen to have any links to people who have done this?

Ill go check on the avs forums.

BTW, do you think having all of the non-audio/video equipment in the garage would be a smart idea?

ph0n33z said:
BTW, do you think having all of the non-audio/video equipment in the garage would be a smart idea?
No, not directly in the garage. It would have to be a walled off area in the garage. The equipment is going to generate a lot of heat (depending on # of pc's, etc) and needs lots of air conditioning to run smoothly for a long time.

ph0n33z said:
I leave my garage open during the day so UPS and FedEx can drop packages inside, out of the snow. I can't see it ever being a secure place to terminate security and access control equipment. Are you sure you don't want to add a basement to your plans?

And it would seem like a centralized location would be more practical as well, since that would make for balanced distances to all parts of the house. But that's not based on any practical experience on my part (Barbie does all the wire pulling), just thinking about it out loud.

I have plans similar to this for the theater.

However, I am not exactly visualizing how this whole "go behind the wall" thing would work. Do you happen to have any links to people who have done this?

If the theater is really a 'room' inside a room, albeit a fabric panelled inner wall, then all the space between the outer and inner walls becomes a 'walk space'. You could have one of the panels be on hinges on one side and velcroed on the other side, so you can pull it loose on one side and swing it open. Then you can walk into the space between the inner fabric wall and the outer real wall. It'll have to be broken at the back for the door. But it could be open the rest of the way around. You'd just have to walk around the front (behind the screen) to get around to the other side.

Dean Roddey said:
And it would seem like a centralized location would be more practical as well, since that would make for balanced distances to all parts of the house. But that's not based on any practical experience on my part (Barbie does all the wire pulling), just thinking about it out loud.
Yes, this is what I would prefer. However, I Just can not figure out a space big enough for everything............

I am still looking at the plans and trying to make something work.. :D :D

Back