New products...?!

I know, I saw that after I posted ;)

Asihome/Worthington doesn't seem to have the new RF stuff yet so I did check a site before posting.

ELK is still actively working on the 2-way RF stuff. It is worth the wait, I promise. They ended up making some internal design changes, which does take some time.

Just received my M1KPNAV (thanks Automated Outlet!). Probably won't get around to hooking it up until this weekend.

It is smaller than I expected, even though I had seen the spec sheet dimensions. Since it will be a replacement for a M1KP keypad, there are at least a couple of screw holes from the M1KP mounting that will be exposed by the smaller M1KPNAV and will need to be filled/sanded/painted/etc. It would be nice if Elk sold a trim kit that would cover the area previously covered by another of their keypads.

Just received my M1KPNAV (thanks Automated Outlet!). Probably won't get around to hooking it up until this weekend.

It is smaller than I expected, even though I had seen the spec sheet dimensions. Since it will be a replacement for a M1KP keypad, there are at least a couple of screw holes from the M1KP mounting that will be exposed by the smaller M1KPNAV and will need to be filled/sanded/painted/etc. It would be nice if Elk sold a trim kit that would cover the area previously covered by another of their keypads.

Lucky you. I ordered one last Saturday and my order is still pending approval. Don't know what's going there.

Couple of other things I've noticed...

1. The 6-pin plug is smaller than the one for the M1KP. Would make the switchover a little easier if they were the same plug.

2. For my M1KP, there is enough room in the unit to tuck all the splices and wires between the KP and the wall. For me, that means I didn't have to make a bigger hole in the wall so I could push all the splices into the wall cavity when mounting the M1KP. The M1KPNAV doesn't have any room behind it to stuff the extra wires. I will either have to use the optional back box or cut a bigger hole. Another alternative might be to make a custom mounting plate (maybe out of wood) that would provide room for the wires/connectors and be large enough to cover the exposed mounting holes from the original M1KP.

Another alternative might be to make a custom mounting plate (maybe out of wood) that would provide room for the wires/connectors and be large enough to cover the exposed mounting holes from the original M1KP.

[font="Arial][size="2"]ForAlarm/HA devices whose foot prints is smaller than a JBox or does not have JBox mounting option, I use a piece of 4" wide by 1/8" or 1/4" thick oak. The homestores have a section of hardwood [/size][/font][font="Arial][size="2"]trimmed down[/size][/font][font="Arial][size="2"] products. All you need is a chop saw and sander (I also route the corners), you have a nice backplate. No planner, tablesaw, glue, etc.. required. I used this idea recently to mount OmniStat2 to JBox.[/size][/font]

Ira, take pics plz, showing your difficulty with the splices, when it's time to install. Not sure I understand. Are you surface mounting?

Thanks dennerline - great tip. May improve the WAF if room re-painting won't happen for a while.

Ira, take pics plz, showing your difficulty with the splices, when it's time to install. Not sure I understand. Are you surface mounting?

Thanks dennerline - great tip. May improve the WAF if room re-painting won't happen for a while.

Does the NAV keypad have a Weigand interface on it?

Am I the only one who looks at the price of the new ELK-TS071 and realizes it's cheaper to just buy an ipad and dedicate it to wall mount duty and pay for 3rd party software to act as a keypad? And then it can sit around showing pretty photos when the screen is locked ... and maybe run other home automation apps too.

Back