New products...?!

Wired yes - but still very nice - a little smaller then I would like - but much easier to understand and navigate then the traditional keypads when you want to do more than simply arm/disarm the security system.

Am I the only one who looks at the price of the new ELK-TS071 and realizes it's cheaper to just buy an ipad and dedicate it to wall mount duty and pay for 3rd party software to act as a keypad? And then it can sit around showing pretty photos when the screen is locked ... and maybe run other home automation apps too.

Kinda true. But...

-The Elk touchscreen can also act as a digital picture frame.
-I think you need a fairly expensive wall mount for the iPad if you want something that looks clean on a wall.
-AFAIK, no single piece of stand-alone 3rd-party app integrates in one package everything the ELK touchscreen does (for example, multi-room audio control).

But I might be wrong.

For what it's worth,

I found what looks to be a reasonable mount for $299 and the cheapest iPad2 is $499, so that's still less than $800... and the elk touchscreen doesn't play angry birds (not that I'd want to stand around playing it since it's about as much use to me as multi-room audio - I have a small - by my former Texas standards - house in California).

As for the software, I am still new to the elk m1 (just started the install last week), but since I make my living as a software engineer, I expect to write software for whatever I need for my ipads, ipod touch, and android devices. I also intend to give this software away, for what it's worth, but I have no set schedule since it's not paid software development.

Ok. Made of plastic. Looks nice anyway. Aluminum is $100 more. And how much for the Cat 5 USB charging extension kit?

Ok. Made of plastic. Looks nice anyway. Aluminum is $100 more. And how much for the Cat 5 USB charging extension kit?

I would just stick a receptacle fixed to a stud behind the mount and plug the charger that comes with the ipad into that. The TS-071 also needs power, and even if I used it or the iPad I'd probably put something like this right above a bank of light switches where I have easy access to power. Since the iPad has its own battery, there's no need to do anything special other than to make sure the wifi network has backup power.

ELK is still actively working on the 2-way RF stuff. It is worth the wait, I promise. They ended up making some internal design changes, which does take some time.

Any update on a release date for this? I'm looking at building an Elk system but would like to use these new components.

So, the "final action date" in the FCC filings was August 2011. Even Elk's website under press releases has nothing about the new RF components. Has Elk truly gone back to the drawing board on this stuff? It was four months from compliance testing to when the final action was filed in August, so if they really did tweak some internals, it would likely be at least another four months from whenever they are ready to retest for compliance. Or... are we waiting on UL certification?

Am I the only one who looks at the price of the new ELK-TS071 and realizes it's cheaper to just buy an ipad and dedicate it to wall mount duty and pay for 3rd party software to act as a keypad?
Nope. I agree and there's the Android versions that even cost less. And with something like WallEE ($39) you can pop the screen in the hall or refridgerator door. http://youtu.be/e7ZB3Xo862c To me, this is a no brainer.

I just installed 3 of the Elk navigator touchscreen keypads. For some reason they don't beep during entry countdown. Anyone else have one of these touchscreen keypads and can tell me if it works for them? I've changed all sorts of settings and just couldn't get them to beep. They beep when I exit and when I hit a key, but they are silent during entry, which is really annoying because sometimes I forget that the house is armed and the alarm goes off.

I just installed 3 of the Elk navigator touchscreen keypads. For some reason they don't beep during entry countdown. Anyone else have one of these touchscreen keypads and can tell me if it works for them? I've changed all sorts of settings and just couldn't get them to beep. They beep when I exit and when I hit a key, but they are silent during entry, which is really annoying because sometimes I forget that the house is armed and the alarm goes off.

ChocoboLee:

I don't have one of the new keypads, but if you can't get them to beep during your entry countdown you could use a rule to trigger a voice announcement:

Code:
WHENEVER ENTRY DELAY, ANY AREA STARTS
    THEN ANNOUNCE Miscellaneous 1

...and you could make Miscellaneous 1 something like "System Armed Please Disarm".

Well...I just confirmed that my navigator beeps just like the front door keypad in which I copied it's settings from. Beeps once per second during the countdown. Check your programming.

ChocoboLee:

I don't have one of the new keypads, but if you can't get them to beep during your entry countdown you could use a rule to trigger a voice announcement:

Code:
WHENEVER ENTRY DELAY, ANY AREA STARTS
	THEN ANNOUNCE Miscellaneous 1

...and you could make Miscellaneous 1 something like "System Armed Please Disarm".

Thanks, I just created a rule to start beeping on all keypads when entry delay starts and stops beeping when disarmed. That seems to work. It's weird that I had to create this rule.

I was googling ELK-M1XRFTW with the hope of finding it posted at any dealer with the price. I didn't find it, but found an introductory offer that expires on September 30, 2012. I guess that this flyer that Google returned was not intended to be public, so I'll not post it here. However, assuming that it is official (not a proposed draft), the launch should be any time soon, unless they launch it after the offer expires.I personally didn't like what I saw very much. They only have keyfob and window/door sensors (pick your flavor). Nothing else (no PIR, temp/humidity sensor, glass break detector, water/CO2/smoke detectors, etc.). Since my windows cannot use this type of sensor, I would have to buy keyfobs for all the neighbours in the street in order to qualify for the offer.Just kidding. :rofl:

Back