Newbie with an ELK M1 - Getting it to arm...

TheBawse

Hey Everybody.  This is my first post since joining the forum.  I just got my hands on a used ELK M1 GOLD unit from a friend.  He helped me set up a basic system at my place (2x smoke detectors, a couple of motion sensors, and a door magnet sensor).  The system was running fine for awhile after my friend set it up.  I've been reading the install book provided by ELK and was browsing through the Install section #9 , specifically zone definitions in subsection #5.  I don't believe I changed anything, but after hitting the ELK button on my keypad to return to the main menu I can no longer arm the system.  The green led lit ready button is active and solid, and the LCD reads "Ready to ARM", but when I hit the exit button nothing happens...and then input my user code and it beeps and there is a icon clock that shows up next to the ready to arm message and after 20-30 seconds it goes away and the system remains the same?  Any idea what I did?  

Thanks for your time!

SM

Download and install Elkrp2 software and learn to use it, it will be well worth your time. It's much easier to use than the keypad.

I can't think of any circumstance that would cause what you're describing so I'm thinking that maybe the keypad is at fault. Maybe someone else here will have something more.

Mike.

After you hit EXIT, are you leaving, or simulating that you are leaving (e.g. opening the door)? Either way, the exit delay timer should begin it's countdown.

Is the motion sensor pointed at the area where you are arming? Could be that it's picking you up as you are trying to arm, and putting the system in a non-ready to arm state as you try to arm.

The clock you mention on the KP is indicative that you entered a valid PIN and it retains that so you can get into other menus without having to enter it again during that window of time.

drvnbysound said:
Is the motion sensor pointed at the area where you are arming? Could be that it's picking you up as you are trying to arm, and putting the system in a non-ready to arm state as you try to arm.

Wouldn't the system speak if this was the case?

Speak, as in the voice chime? If so, that would depend on the chime setup, and if it was turned on for the motion sensor. I personally never enable the chime function [in ElkRP] for motion sensors, because they would drive me nuts going off ALL the time. I typically only enable chime for perimeter sensors.

I was thinking of the case that the keypad is reading READY, you reach up to press EXIT and it reads your motion as you go to press it... and thus ignores the request as the zone was violated just prior to arming.

When I press the EXIT key on the keypad and the living room window is open the system speaks the system message:

"Intrusion violated living room window"

I don't know if it is any different for the motion detector but I wouldn't expect the system to be silent and not display anything on the lcd.

Mike.

I'm wondering if somehow the Quick Arm function got disabled.  See Menu 03, options 08 and 09.  That could explain why pressing the Exit button does nothing.  I'm not sure it explains the entire situation, though.

mikefamig said:
When I press the EXIT key on the keypad and the living room window is open the system speaks the system message:

"Intrusion violated living room window"

I don't know if it is any different for the motion detector but I wouldn't expect the system to be silent and not display anything on the lcd.

Mike.

I'm between houses right now so I don't have a system to test with, but I'm pretty certain there are settings to disable that message. I am certain that mine did not speak the message you're referring to - at least not automatically. It would display the violated zones on the keypad though... and I believe if I pressed up/down to see what zone it was, then it would speak the message.

You're right though, the message on the keypad should also be an indicator, but too, it's likely only there for a moment on a motion violation vice a continuous warning from an open window/door.

The only way that I personally know to silence a system message is to blank the words of the message under "voice" in RP. You can silence exit delay and entry delay in keypad settings but I can't think of a way to silence system messages altogether.

Maybe someone else know of a way to do it?

Mike.

I'm with RAL that the one button arm function is turned off. This is why I would try entering a valid user code to see if it arms. I'm interested to here back from the OP.

Back