Nuvo Music Port MPS4

Don't know how I missed this, but I saw a print ad for the new Nuvo 'Music Port Elite'.

Found the press release from CEPro

http://www.cepro.com/best/details/music_port_elite/

I can't seem to figure out the benefit over the MPS4. Spec sheet not yet available. Expected shipping 4th Quarter.

Remote access to a home library seem to be a feature. Direct video output, for metadata, is also mentioned.

Wish list for the MPS4 FW update includes FLAC, gapless playback, and external HD capability.

Sounds like it's based on the Mirage Media Server, which could add a video output, "cloud sync", etc. I just looked on NuVo's site, and they added a CEDIA preview link (no data beyond this, though).

The iPhone app would be a welcome addition. And since they're giving away an iPad at the show, might be able to draw the conclusion that the app is iPad-aware, too. I assume this is the Autonomic app that was supposed to be out "real soon now", too...

From the NuVo site about their CEDIA booth:

Wall-Mount NuVoDock
- Our latest incarnation of the NuVoDock offers the same benefits and advantageous control of the remote and wireless versions, but now in an on-wall package for convenience and the cleanest installation imaginable.

Apple App
- NuVo Control: now there’s an “app for that.†Navigate all the audio content and capabilities of your NuVo suite through the handiness of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Compatible with any NuVo system operating a Music Port or Music Port Elite.

Music Port Elite
- Meet the master of audio sources, our new Music Port Elite. This latest component features the same great functionality as our Music Port, plus additional abilities such as: Control compatibility with partners like Crestron, AMX, URC, and RTI; Cloud synchronization and network storage for truly limitless audio accessibility; Scheduling and display output.

Freestanding Renovia
- Announcing the next step in simplistic design, and exquisite performance, for the retrofit market: NuVo’s freestanding Renovia. This new form factor of our groundbreaking PowerLine-based system provides an alternative to the in-wall zone amplifiers of the original Renovia. Utilizing the same technology to distribute audio and metadata over a home’s existing electrical lines, the freestanding Renovia employs detached modules for amplifying the audio in each zone, simplifying the installation for areas where wall construction might prohibit cutting. No electrician required.

D460 Digital Power Amplifier
- The second of our digital power amplifiers, the D460 carries on the NuVo tradition of versatile and efficient amplification. Operating at 4 x 60 watt, the unit boasts a light weight and single rack design and is 4-8 ohm stable with selectable ohm ratings.

Single Point Stereo Speaker
- Our upcoming in-wall stereo speaker is optimized to produce a stereo image from a single speaker component. It employs a three-way design to maintain stereo imaging throughout the critical midrange frequencies, and features an easily painted, low profile grill for a nearly invisible installation.

thanks Jeff

I wonder if that 'Single Point Stereo Speaker' is just a DVC, or something different. I'm looking for options for my guest BR where the 'prewire' 4 conductor cable is between 2 joists, but oriented perpendicular to the bed (the usual listening position). Fixing drywall and using standard in-ceilings is prob cheapest and best, just want to explore other options.

Don't know how I missed this, but I saw a print ad for the new Nuvo 'Music Port Elite'.

Found the press release from CEPro

http://www.cepro.com/best/details/music_port_elite/

I can't seem to figure out the benefit over the MPS4. Spec sheet not yet available. Expected shipping 4th Quarter.

Remote access to a home library seem to be a feature. Direct video output, for metadata, is also mentioned.

Wish list for the MPS4 FW update includes FLAC, gapless playback, and external HD capability.

I think the latest firmware update includes FLAC support.

I feel like the unit is new enough they should trickle down the network pulling to the MPS4 non-elite.. But I imagine they need to justify the price of the new unit. However, some of the cost probably goes to cover a broader autonomic home license - since from digging around, the IP control of the system is there, but the license seems to prohibit it and disconnects you after 30 seconds.

I do hope the cloud/network issues makes them think about a navigation redesign for the nuvo pads. The >> button really needs to move you by letter instead of some random distance, if you have a broad collection -- it is very very hard to navigate.

I wonder how far off we are from the iphone app launching...

Really glad I dragged my feet on the CD re-ripping, if that FLAC support is true.

Thanks Broconne.

Looks like NuVo released their iPhone application for the MPS4. Currently priced at $99.99 - I am curious if the market will support that. Seems expensive, compared to say the Sonos app.

Looks like NuVo released their iPhone application for the MPS4. Currently priced at $99.99 - I am curious if the market will support that. Seems expensive, compared to say the Sonos app.

I'd been waiting for the app to show up in the store as well since it was announced, and there it is today.. I'd be kind of iffy on the price too if if i didn't have any other alternatives. It's kind of a shame too that you have to own a mps4 for it to even work, sadly i think it probably won't get many buyers due to that caveat. From the screen shots of it it looks pretty polished for an initial release.

As for me, i'm not going to buy in, $99 for an app that does one thing is a little too rich for my blood, plus jayson from eKpro is more than likely going to release an app himself to control the nuvo via its serial port with something like an elk ip-232.. who knows if it'll ever have cover art like the nuvo app seeing as the mps4 probably handles that and nuvo might not release the white paper for 3rd parties to do the same, but jayson has surprised me before with how well he can integrate his apps. In the end the $99 for eKpro has turned out to be a much better deal, and it'll just sweeten when and if he does add nuvo support as it'll control my elk, lighting, a/c, energy management, and nuvo.

If anything there's always the casatunes app which is free with the purchase of their software, and from what i've seen over at their forum it does cover art to the iphone / ipod touch for the music housed on your pc, and has pretty much all the features of the mps4 / now defunct music port.

If nuvo wanted my $$$, i'd say they'd have to lower it to $20 - 40 range and make it work with at least 3rd party controllers like the ip-232 for those of us that don't want to buy into a mps4.. heck, cover art isn't even a dealbreaker for me, it'd be cool if it looked like the display on the keypads, all text and just fast to browse with, that kind of works better with a large library for me.

If any cocooners wind up buying in, i'd like to hear how fast it is with large libraries / displaying cover art.. i hope my opinion didn't come off as too one sided, i'm glad nuvo is branching out and pushing the boundaries of what their system can do, i guess i'm just a little weary like a lot of music port owners that they're not including the rest of us who don't own their newest toys.

And Autonomic's own Mirage app also showed up in the iTunes app store. It's free to download, but apparently requires "Mirage 3.0", which must be what they're loading on their servers, not the standalone application (or, sigh, again, anything for the Music Port).

EDIT: Autonomic responded to my inquiry with this link, which includes 'trial' download of MCS 3.0 aka "MCS-EX". I'll give it a try tonight, hopefully my license works with it, or at least they'll offer an upgrade path...

http://autonomic-controls.com/products_mirage_iphone.php

Jeff

Woo hoo!

Just got home and downloaded the Beta of Mirage 3.0! Fantastic! On my MusicPort, there's full Radio support with Pandora and RadioTime, and the iPhone App works. Just starting to explore, but it's certainly what we were hoping for... Navigating the music library from the iPhone app is as expected -

Now to play, I've found some Internet Radio stations in RadioTime that don't play, hopefully they won't get tired of feedback on the Beta!

Jeff

Woo hoo!

Just got home and downloaded the Beta of Mirage 3.0! Fantastic! On my MusicPort, there's full Radio support with Pandora and RadioTime, and the iPhone App works. Just starting to explore, but it's certainly what we were hoping for... Navigating the music library from the iPhone app is as expected -

Now to play, I've found some Internet Radio stations in RadioTime that don't play, hopefully they won't get tired of feedback on the Beta!

Jeff

Nice to hear. Now if only Nuvo would hurry up and actually let us have it. The beta will only work for 14 days correct?

CB

Woo hoo!

Jeff

Nice to hear. Now if only Nuvo would hurry up and actually let us have it. The beta will only work for 14 days correct?

CB

My Music Port license has worked on all of the builds I've downloaded directly from Autonomic. They've said the same thing, too. I'm currently using a new license key as they tired to resolve an unrelated issue - but no reason to expect the MP license rules have changed.

So, no, if you've got MusicPort, you should be good to go.

Jeff

Woo hoo!

Jeff

CB

My Music Port license has worked on all of the builds I've downloaded directly from Autonomic. They've said the same thing, too. I'm currently using a new license key as they tired to resolve an unrelated issue - but no reason to expect the MP license rules have changed.

So, no, if you've got MusicPort, you should be good to go.

Jeff

Thx I'll give it a go.

Cb

edit: I did give it a go, and I do have radtiotime etc now, but it's lost my itunes library. It doesn't even attempt to scan it, just acts like it's not there...

Woo hoo!

Jeff

Awesome! Are Pandora and RadioTime fully functional on the NuVo keypads? Right now I can only select Pandora radio stations via the Music Port Client.

Thanks,
RA

I don't have pandora set up, but radiotime is showing up on the keypads. You have presets you can use, local radio stations, and then searching by different types of stations.

I checked into the Mirage App last night and it is listed as $19.99. Did it change or am I looking at a different app? I installed Mirage 3.0 beta and had the same result as another user in that my library was no longer available, when it scanned the library it only listed an item of "favorites" instead of wmp and itunes. I will try upgrading to the latest Essentia configuration software (2.63a). Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Mark

Back