Omni LTe Automation Erratic or Non-Existent

Forgot to mention main electrical configuration: supply from street transformer comes into house and feeds main panel. On the main panel there is a 100-amp double breaker that feeds a sub-panel, all of whose circuits are powered by an external generator in case of a power outage (we live in the woods). The HAI controller is powered off one of those circuits.

The existing X-10 coupler is connected to the main panel. That is where I have room for the UPB breaker as well. Is there any complication by having the sub-panel in addition to the main panel? It seems to me that if the two phases coming into the main panel are coupled, the coupling should take care of sub-panels as well...?

Is there any complication by having the sub-panel in addition to the main panel?

No.

It seems to me that if the two phases coming into the main panel are coupled, the coupling should take care of sub-panels as well...?

Yes.

In reading the information on UPB couplers on the Simply-Automated site, they indicate that couplers should be placed on the main panel as well as any sub-panels, and that if there are any non-inverting couplers (HCA02?) in place, they should be removed or they will degrade performance. They further say that their couplers boost and couple X-10 as well as UPB. What do you think, since you have been a UPB user...

Here have a UPB and X10 coupler and UPB repeater in place.  Shut off the UPB phase coupler a few years ago.  Had a sub panel in the garage.  Garage coach lights were UPB connected.

Check UPB signals from the main panel UPB PIM to sub panel connected UPB switches.  

Left the X10 filter / blocker in place cuz it is a PITA to remove.

Simply Automated said put their inverting phase coupler at the main panel and any sub-panel. Put first one on the sub-panel where the PIM circuit is. When put second coupler on sub-panel in garage, UpStart would not verify one of the UPB switches. Removed coupler in garage, devices verify OK.

Moved second coupler to main panel and removed HCA02 as SA instructions for coupler noted. Still erratic UPB device operation, and X-10 now not working as well as before!

1. Please tell me the makes and models of what you currently have installed?

2. Thinking about a) pcWorx UPB coupler/repeater and b) Jeff Volp XBR X-10 interface.

Thoughts?

Have a PCS and SA phase coupler in place connected to breakers - these are both in "off" state at this time.

1 - Currently using the HAI UPB repeater (Leviton 39A00-2) for many years now.  (I left the phase repeaters in place and currently in OFF mode)
2 - For X10 using Jeff's dual phase TW-523 emulator called XTB-IIR High Power 2 phase repeater ==> hxxp://jvde.us/xtb-iir.htm

For CM11A emulation originally purchased Jeff's X-10 amplifier.  I still have this but do not using it at this time.  

I have not heard of Jeff's XBR X10 interface.  Do you have a link for this device.

Many many years ago used HAI and PCS and SA UPB switches. Over the years upgraded UPB to all SA switches, multiple toggle switches and dual line UPB switches.

I mis-typed the description of the unit I ordered from Jeff...it's the same XTB-IIR that you have. I think it's going to make a big difference.

Now installed PulseWorks UPB repeater. Without the repeater, UpStart reports no noise. With repeater connected, I am seeing UpStart results for the repeater comm test:

At repeater: signal 234, noise 10, average noise 5
At PIM: signal 44, noise 1

Sensitivity of repeater set to "low", their instructions say that "low" should be used if noise on the powerline.

Seems repeater is causing a problem rather than fixing it. Your thoughts?

Little bit of noise is OK. Signals on both phases is what you want to check.  To / From UPB PIM and To / From UPB Repeater and To / From all UPB devices.

The testing would be using a laptop / UPB PIM and Upstart diagnostics.  When first testing with Upstart have it scan the UPB network.  You want to see all blue UPB devices which means you will be able to download / upload each switch configuration or download each switch configuration.

Can you turn on and off all of the UPB lamp switches (wall switches with PCA ).

Note that the repeater acts like a bridge and amplifier of the UPB signals between phases.  If there is a tiny bit of noise it will amplify it.  The repeater is not a source of noise.

"Signals on both phases is what you want to check...."  When I double click the icons for the switches, they all show Phase "O" (opposite). The phase for the repeater shows "Black"...I don't know what that means.

"To / From UPB PIM and To / From UPB Repeater and To / From all UPB devices"  I don't see a "To/From" option...it just says the signal and noise at the PIM and another column for the same parameters at the device.

"The testing would be using a laptop / UPB PIM and Upstart diagnostics"  I have a desktop PC running UpStart and PCA, and it's connected to a USB PIM near the computer. There is a Leviton 36A00-1 PIM connected at the Omni LTe controller.  Should I have both of those connected?

UpStart scans the network and the repeater and switches turn blue, and all device configurations are loaded to the file.

I can turn on the UPB switches with PCA some of the time, but that's what is erratic

If I disconnect the repeater (I put it on its own 15-amp double-pole breaker), UpStart shows NO NOISE at either  the PIM or any device. But when I connect the repeater, even set at low sensitivity, I get an indication of severe noise.

In Upstart there is a diagnostic subsection which test all switch to PIM powerline connectivity one at a time.  It is under "tools" "comm test"

Here test all of your devices.

Then under tools there is the repeater test.

I have a desktop PC running UpStart and PCA, and it's connected to a USB PIM near the computer. There is a Leviton 36A00-1 PIM connected at the Omni LTe controller.  Should I have both of those connected?

It doesn't matter that both are connected.  Here have 3 UPB PIMs connected in the basement for software automation and1 UPB PIM connected for the Omni Controller and one in the attic connected.  I use them all concurrently.  

UpStart scans the network and the repeater and switches turn blue, and all device configurations are loaded to the file.
I can turn on the UPB switches with PCA some of the time, but that's what is erratic

Blue means good communications. 

Is the Omni connected PIM plugged in to the same circuit as the testing PIM?

Back