Omnipro discontinued

cobra said:
At least Leviton has said repair and warranty will continue. But I havent seen how long repairs will be offered. Leviton is big enough that it may be quite a while. (Doesnt help with the issues shipping across the border though... )

I sure do hope... still, it will be some day impossible to repair those systems and a replacement will be needed... meanwhile, let's hope we have some repair available for at least 4 or 5 years... Let me tell you, if I knew leviton would ditch omni, I would have NEVER suggested that to my newest customer... it's sad but july 2019 is the last time I install a omni controller unfortunately... I am really disapointed... that equipement has brought money into my life for quite some time... now we need to figure out what will be our next step...

heffneil said:
Can you set a time the door will close if it is left open with the independent units? The alarm thing is a problem.

the myq app seem to be able to set a specific time to close a garage door... What I meant is that any entry door or gate to your house is tied to security, what a better way to tie your garage door openener with your security system... on top of doing so much more than what the myq app is doing... Having garage door control tied to your security system also group everything related to the security of the house under a single app...

jeditekunum said:
This is an example that no longer requires a custom automation solution. We installed LiftMaster (8500) openers in our new build. They are myQ systems (ie proprietary wired and wireless protocols) so a simple internet gateway add-on ties it to a cloud service (free) that then talks to their smartphone app. Can see the state of each door (and when it last moved) as well as control. People have figured out how to talk to the cloud service for integration into automation systems.

Our ClimateMaster geothermal system is the same kind of setup. All proprietary and a cloud-based interface (which is actually EcoBee).

I don't like the cloud approach but vendors aren't giving any choice.

This is definitely the trend - highly proprietary systems that advertise "smart" capabilities meaning you have to use their cloud service and their apps. So smart is entirely as THEY define it. Which may, or may not, include a few integrations like Alexa. Any custom integration with something else is purely by chance and reverse engineering.
The Liftmaster 8500 series produces so much electrical and RF noise, it crippled my Insteon network and WiFi network until I got some filters on it. A simple Insteon FilterLinc solved the Insteon powerline noise problem.

This is not when the motor runs. It is coming from the electronics, all the time. My older Liftmaster, without batteries, produced some noise but not like the new unit with batteries.

WiFi just has been left as very bad at that end of the house. Strange, their MyQ is running on WiFi but I can never get it to connect properly anyway. I don't want unmonitored control of my garage doors anyway (too dangerous)  but I still monitor them with Insteon module and a CAO Tag position for the newer unit. It may take a neighbour call to close them.

LarrylLix said:
The Liftmaster 8500 series produces so much electrical and RF noise, it crippled my Insteon network and WiFi network until I got some filters on it. A simple Insteon FilterLinc solved the Insteon powerline noise problem.

This is not when the motor runs. It is coming from the electronics, all the time. My older Liftmaster, without batteries, produced some noise but not like the new unit with batteries.

WiFi just has been left as very bad at that end of the house. Strange, their MyQ is running on WiFi but I can never get it to connect properly anyway. I don't want unmonitored control of my garage doors anyway (too dangerous)  but I still monitor them with Insteon module and a CAO Tag position for the newer unit. It may take a neighbour call to close them.

I never said I liked the product. I don't have the WiFi version. I do have the 828LM internet gateway that is ethernet. I haven't seen any interference although I don't have Insteon (had in my old house and wouldn't do THAT again).

My post was intended to say that manufacturers are pushing in the stated direction and they don't care about what the minority of people want. Its getting really difficult to find products that aren't following this new model. I wanted jackshaft openers and as far as I'm aware there are NO other options. They don't sell one that doesn't have the myQ garbage.

I didn't want a cloud-based HVAC interface. I did want a high-end HVAC (geothermal) for other reasons so again, no choice.

I didn't want RF-based skylights. Velux does not offer a motorized residential skylight that has hardwired control (they do have a clumsy add-on box that is a gateway to their RF system).

Motorized window coverings are similar. Somfy has options for hardwired but they are very expensive.

I'm not against any of these products providing for an option to use a cloud service and "apps". What I detest is the refusal to provide direct/local interface.

I feel sorry for people trying to make a living on integration. That's all being consumed by Amazon, Google, and Apple.

The more we talk about it the more depressed I get about the lost of the Omnipro.  Im surprised Elk doesn't try to buy it or someone else in the industry.  It is a really a problem because even if you hoarded all the omnipro parts on the market its only gonna last and be good for so long.

I mean my system has worked for 15 years now and I guess it will last another 15 but I rely heavily on the iphone / ipad apps and those are as good as dead now.

As it happens, I just noticed that myQ says it lost contact with one of my openers. That happened to not have been used for a week or so. As soon as I pressed the physical button to open it immediately showed the state in myQ.

So another miserably unreliable RF / cloud "system". This is why people want hardwired!

Today I accept that the long time running OmniPro 2 will outlast me or get close. 

Just last week neighbor asked me what I used for security and I spoke about the OmniPro 2 and that it is no longer made.'

She asked me what she should get and I suggested the Ring wireless security system with security monitoring at $14.95 per month with no contract or a combo of automation / security for $24.95.  Personally putting one in for a family member to replace the XFinity security system. 

Cheap and easy (and I am not a cloud person).

jeditekunum said:
I never said I liked the product. I don't have the WiFi version. I do have the 828LM internet gateway that is ethernet. I haven't seen any interference although I don't have Insteon (had in my old house and wouldn't do THAT again).

My post was intended to say that manufacturers are pushing in the stated direction and they don't care about what the minority of people want. Its getting really difficult to find products that aren't following this new model. I wanted jackshaft openers and as far as I'm aware there are NO other options. They don't sell one that doesn't have the myQ garbage.

I didn't want a cloud-based HVAC interface. I did want a high-end HVAC (geothermal) for other reasons so again, no choice.

I didn't want RF-based skylights. Velux does not offer a motorized residential skylight that has hardwired control (they do have a clumsy add-on box that is a gateway to their RF system).

Motorized window coverings are similar. Somfy has options for hardwired but they are very expensive.

I'm not against any of these products providing for an option to use a cloud service and "apps". What I detest is the refusal to provide direct/local interface.

I feel sorry for people trying to make a living on integration. That's all being consumed by Amazon, Google, and Apple.
I have to totally agree with 95% of that. The cloud take over is going to take the suckers by surprise one day and I believe they will all get there with their wallets already empty. Strange how those "only pennies per day" add up to an income of about $100K per year!

I avoid cloud dependence as much as possible. However there are some things I find very convenient and use but even they can be full of surprises when you convenience disappears in an Internet outage. we have had a few and I thank my luck stars for the non-cloud dependence we still have. ISY994 follows that concept as much as possible.

As for Insteon, some have reported problems from older equipment, especially with those GDOs  :)   Insteon became dual band and not many complaints are heard now. There are still a few that never found their noise makers, and have nothing good to say about it.  Now, with many turning to ZWave we hear it has as many or more problems than the old Insteon systems too. ***SIGH***  Pick your devil. :angry:

Most people would not want to have to hardwire a window opener. However we convince ourselves it is only for convenience ,and then later we end up dependant on it and are full of remorse for not hardwiring it. Sounds like the batteries would be a PITA opening a window sounds like a lot of energy.

The issue is going to be the lack of integration and the value that brings. With the OP2 you can take actions across multiple systems. Garage doors integrated with security integrated with lights integrated with thermostats, cameras, shades, etc... the list goes on.

LarrylLix said:
I have to totally agree with 95% of that. The cloud take over is going to take the suckers by surprise one day and I believe they will all get there with their wallets already empty. Strange how those "only pennies per day" add up to an income of about $100K per year!

I wouldn't pay a dime for any device cloud service I'm currently using.

I avoid cloud dependence as much as possible. However there are some things I find very convenient and use but even they can be full of surprises when you convenience disappears in an Internet outage. we have had a few and I thank my luck stars for the non-cloud dependence we still have. ISY994 follows that concept as much as possible.

The key there is "dependence". While I rarely use it, being able to check my garage doors from anywhere, for example, is a nice convenience. The problem is that its the exclusive way to integrate with automation. Imagine if one needed the "cloud" for the remote in the car to open/close the door! Some beancounter somewhere drools at the thought of products that do it that way.

As for Insteon, some have reported problems from older equipment, especially with those GDOs  :)   Insteon became dual band and not many complaints are heard now. There are still a few that never found their noise makers, and have nothing good to say about it.  Now, with many turning to ZWave we hear it has as many or more problems than the old Insteon systems too. ***SIGH***  Pick your devil. :angry:

My old house had all/mostly dual band. It mostly worked. And therein lies the rub. Mostly isn't good enough for me. My biggest complaint is the inherent inability to debug problems.

One would think that RF technology could be made bulletproof. Apparently the design trade-offs made for whatever reasons, likely cost, are the killer.

In my new build I avoided RF as much as possible.

Most people would not want to have to hardwire a window opener. However we convince ourselves it is only for convenience ,and then later we end up dependant on it and are full of remorse for not hardwiring it. Sounds like the batteries would be a PITA opening a window sounds like a lot of energy.

The Velux are hardwired for power. Just no wires for control/monitoring.

What is really irritating is that they do offer hardwired control/monitoring in their commercial skylights (which they won't sell for residential). So its entirely a product/marketing thing.

SJHart said:
The issue is going to be the lack of integration and the value that brings. With the OP2 you can take actions across multiple systems. Garage doors integrated with security integrated with lights integrated with thermostats, cameras, shades, etc... the list goes on.

The vibe I get from vendors is that they don't want to enable us to do that arbitrarily. They want to control those kinds of integrations for whatever reason. No doubt in the end they think it means money for them. Or at least marketing leverage (for example working with Alexa, etc).

I installed an Interlogix Modular UltraSync alarm panel which is a recent/modern inexpensive system with web UI, etc. It has an API for integrating via ethernet but they only share the protocol with licensed partners. When I last talked to support they had exactly ONE partner - some obscure company.

I saw a thread recently about myQ and SmartThings and apparently myQ didn't want to play ball. Besides the problem of initially getting an integration there is nothing that stops these corporate (..omitted..) from changing their minds later.

What are the odds that the combination of products that any one installation has will be integrated with a single overriding control system? Almost zero I'd say. And right now I'm betting that if that ever happens it will be Amazon or Google or Apple.

jeditekunum said:
The vibe I get from vendors is that they don't want to enable us to do that arbitrarily. They want to control those kinds of integrations for whatever reason. No doubt in the end they think it means money for them. Or at least marketing leverage (for example working with Alexa, etc).

I installed an Interlogix Modular UltraSync alarm panel which is a recent/modern inexpensive system with web UI, etc. It has an API for integrating via ethernet but they only share the protocol with licensed partners. When I last talked to support they had exactly ONE partner - some obscure company.

I saw a thread recently about myQ and SmartThings and apparently myQ didn't want to play ball. Besides the problem of initially getting an integration there is nothing that stops these corporate (..omitted..) from changing their minds later.

What are the odds that the combination of products that any one installation has will be integrated with a single overriding control system? Almost zero I'd say. And right now I'm betting that if that ever happens it will be Amazon or Google or Apple.
Google is SkyNet
Apple and Amazon are drooling.

<snippage>
jeditekunum said:
The Velux are hardwired for power. Just no wires for control/monitoring.

What is really irritating is that they do offer hardwired control/monitoring in their commercial skylights (which they won't sell for residential). So its entirely a product/marketing thing.
Sounds like a control signal over existing power lines hack is in order.

Alezis said:
I sure do hope... still, it will be some day impossible to repair those systems and a replacement will be needed... meanwhile, let's hope we have some repair available for at least 4 or 5 years... Let me tell you, if I knew leviton would ditch omni, I would have NEVER suggested that to my newest customer... it's sad but july 2019 is the last time I install a omni controller unfortunately... I am really disapointed... that equipement has brought money into my life for quite some time... now we need to figure out what will be our next step...
Hi Alezis, I am in the same feelings. Do you already figure out which brand you will use to replace the Omni Controllers?? Regards

HogarDigital said:
Hi Alezis, I am in the same feelings. Do you already figure out which brand you will use to replace the Omni Controllers?? Regards
Hi HogarDigital, well... the only replacement I can find right now is Elk M1 Gold, programming whise, it seems to be similar to a Omni IIe (528 condition blocks) but hardware whise, it can handle more i/o than the Omni ProII so no preblem on that side (208 hardwire zones, 144 wireless zones, 205 relay output).

For third party integration, there is one option more than omni could not support is lutron caseta, that I am happy about, caseta is a robust and cheap way to have lighting control and the M1 can support it. The only thing missing, by what I see, is a nice mobile app, either android or ios app for the M1 is not rated really high.

The other solution is to get a cheap DSC power series and have an automation controller tied to that security system like crestron or urc total control. I guess C4 and others are also available to integrate with DSC.

What I did really like with the omni is that I could control audio, lights, drapes and blinds, garage doors and gates, pool and hot tub and hvac in one mobile app that did not require custom programming, I only had to program the controller and the user interface app would populate the right buttons and controls. With a third party controller, you need to program the controller AND the user interface.

So I guess this is the options right now...

Back