OmniTouch 7

Rhombixt - No I get no metadata on the OT7 with internet radio. I don't get it from SiriusXM either.  I get the metadata on the keypads, but not on OT7. I certainly would like to, but I seem to recall from other postings that this was a drawback on the OT7. If somehow knows how to to this, please let us know! Thanks.

Just reading through the last couple pages of this thread and it sounds like OT7 is a disaster. For a new install would you recommend avoiding Leviton touchpads and using ipad/android tablets instead?

Is it still true that the ios app is head and shoulders ahead of the Android app? Especially with Haiku?

Something that makes me nervous about relying on third party hardware is the possibility that the hardware becomes incompatible. IOS/Android evolve quickly and app developers don't always keep pace. So if the tablets become incompatible you are screwed. Not sure what the current state of affairs is but I recall hearing some rumbling that Leviton may not have their heart in the OPII so if development halts things could get really ugly. In that respect, I suppose IOS is safer since there is strong support from Haiku/Space but nothing like that exists for Android.

uscpsycho said:
Just reading through the last couple pages of this thread and it sounds like OT7 is a disaster. For a new install would you recommend avoiding Leviton touchpads and using ipad/android tablets instead?

Is it still true that the ios app is head and shoulders ahead of the Android app? Especially with Haiku?

Something that makes me nervous about relying on third party hardware is the possibility that the hardware becomes incompatible. IOS/Android evolve quickly and app developers don't always keep pace. So if the tablets become incompatible you are screwed. Not sure what the current state of affairs is but I recall hearing some rumbling that Leviton may not have their heart in the OPII so if development halts things could get really ugly. In that respect, I suppose IOS is safer since there is strong support from Haiku/Space but nothing like that exists for Android.
Unfortunately there is just no guarantee in life.  Something has to pay for "support" and no company is going to do it out of the goodness of their heart for free.  Snaplink from Leviton for iOS is actually not bad. It doesn't support every Omni feature, but it can do many and it is pretty easy to use.  I put it on my wife's phone as its much easier to grasp than HAIku or Space.  If Leviton abandons everything tomorrow, it still works fine and is something I wouldn't have trouble using for several more years. 

HAIku I believe is not even available any longer, replaced by Space.  The usability of Space is not great, and its author has promised updates for many years, but they never have arrived. It has more features than Snaplink, but many of these features also don't work.  I'm not holding my breath that it will ever be updated, again the money from it is simply not there. 

So I would pick from what is available today. If that does what you want, you are all set. 

Space is getting a big update soon. It has only been available for about a year, so I am not sure about the "many years" comment. But otherwise, yes its a niche product, and if no one buys a niche product because they are always waiting for more changes and want it to be just like the old product there are less resources for us to work with. You want fast updates? Support the product :)

ano said:
Unfortunately there is just no guarantee in life.  Something has to pay for "support" and no company is going to do it out of the goodness of their heart for free.  Snaplink from Leviton for iOS is actually not bad. It doesn't support every Omni feature, but it can do many and it is pretty easy to use.  I put it on my wife's phone as its much easier to grasp than HAIku or Space.  If Leviton abandons everything tomorrow, it still works fine and is something I wouldn't have trouble using for several more years. 

HAIku I believe is not even available any longer, replaced by Space.  The usability of Space is not great, and its author has promised updates for many years, but they never have arrived. It has more features than Snaplink, but many of these features also don't work.  I'm not holding my breath that it will ever be updated, again the money from it is simply not there. 

So I would pick from what is available today. If that does what you want, you are all set. 

So if I'm understanding you: OT7 > Snaplink for IOS > Snaplink for Android. At the end of the day OT7 still has more features than Snaplink on either platform? What functions are missing from Snaplink that are available natively on OT7?

Where does Space fall on the continuum? And is Haiku Helper still around or was that deprecated with Haiku?

For my in-wall controls I'm trying to decide between iPad docks or OT7. The cost of OT7 is beyond irrational. This isn't C4... If I can live without the missing features I'd rather not succumb to Leviton's attempt to fleece me.

If Leviton abandons everything tomorrow I will not be happy by getting "several more years" of use. I'm investing a lot in this system today with the expectation that I will get MANY MANY years of use out of it. I suppose that might mean I'll need to use obsolete tablets running an obsolete os to operate my obsolete HA system. Lovely.

The OT7 is not even close to the capabilities of a tablet.  Many of the OT7 functions don't work properly (at least not yet), new features have been released that don't work, so in an lemon to an apple comparison, the OT7 offers simple SnapLink functionality (today), and having a tablet running any other app is like having apple pie made with apples, with access to more features and functions that currently working on the OT7.

As example; a tablet's VoIP app can connect to H.264 cameras and stream audio and video.  The OT7 is limited and does not currently support H.264 for cameras.
As example; a tablet will support intercom features with most any IP video intercom devices, not limited like the OT7 and the OT7 has yet to perform that function reliably with the three (3) approved intercom models anyway (including the new Leviton model), if at all, plus OT7 requires a separate SIP server (at addition expense)
As example; a tablet running SnapLink can access all the other functions the OT7 offers with exception to BEEP.  The Beep function, which unfortunately is also not reliable on the OT7 (depending on firmware version), is however not available in SnapLink.
As example; a tablet running SnapLink also does not have access to "Rooms" that the OT7 offers and while the "Rooms" appearances behave strangely (depending on firmware version), Rooms is convenient.
As example; a tablet running SnapLink would allow you to use a PIN code to secure the panel, the OT7 has NO security feature so all functions are fully available.

FYI... the OT7 is a rebranded Android tablet, however, once all the functions are fixed, I believe the OT7 will be a nice compliment for most any installation. Of course Space has gotten some bad reviews in iTunes too, but you would hope with some time those issues will be resolved as well, although as ano said, the author has been full of promises that have fallen short time and time again.   The HAI OPII system is some fairly old technology and it looks like Leviton is moving towards Lumina Bitwise.  From that, we could "assume" a few more years of use plus the OPII hardware should continue to run for many many years anyway - you might however not have any working apps as Android, IOS, and other operating systems are modernized the old apps will become incompatible without updates, so that is the greatest risk you should consider.  Investing in tablets for in-wall controls would then seem to make better sense for now due to the cost savings and functional access they provide and they can be used for other things should the automation need ever change.  I'm still hoping to see some OT7 updates that make it work reliably.

Just curious about something.. for those having issues with their ot 7's .. do your serial numbers of your units start with 13xxxx?

Leviton replaced all my OT7's. Can anyone confirm the following:

If you create a trouble on the fire alarm zone, does it show up on the OT 7? Right now, it does not show on any of my units.

@rhombixt, not one of any OT7 we've installed reports trouble - at least not consistently. I recall some months ago that trouble issues would show-up on the OT7 days later, but since the past few FW updates it seems that trouble does not show up at all, ever. We've had installations with trouble (or when testing), and this does not show up on the OT7 in any way - only on the keypad consoles.

Is this true for others? Does anyone have trouble display on their OT7??

Some trouble reports do show up like "battery" sometimes, but the OT7 has become less reliable with the updates it has received.  At one time, "beeps" were reliable or at least consistently worked, now they are do not. Menus don't display properly, rooms, etc.... 

The OT7 needs a complete revamp to make it into a "premier" Leviton product.  Leviton seems to be focused on copying what they already have rather than showing off new innovation.  The question is - why isn't Leviton making the OT7 "premier" rather than "basic"?

lupinglade said:
Space is getting a big update soon. It has only been available for about a year, so I am not sure about the "many years" comment. But otherwise, yes its a niche product, and if no one buys a niche product because they are always waiting for more changes and want it to be just like the old product there are less resources for us to work with. You want fast updates? Support the product :)

Regarding the comments about buy Space when it doesn't meet the needs of potential buyers...... Seriously?!?

Consumers and businesses don't buy products "hoping" that the changes they are waiting on will appear within their lifetime.  People purchase apps that work or that provide the functionality they need.  A developer that puts a product out there that says someday it will do this or do that, but you'll have to buy it now and then pray is missing the key component of the market sales game. 

Poor reviews means most people won't purchase a product, hence the reason we have reviews.

"Support the product" needs no smiley face, it needs the desired updates and necessary functionality that purchasers desire in SPACE. The product would be supported through purchases and positive feedback, not through handouts and financial irresponsibility.  

Similarly, Leviton cannot have expectation that a large number of people will purchase the OT7 as is - it needs to be made reliable and it needs improvement.

The automation market is obviously there - now it's up to the manufacturer's to make things happen, or someone else will get the sale or win the market.

StarTrekDoors said:
The OT7 needs a complete revamp to make it into a "premier" Leviton product.  Leviton seems to be focused on copying what they already have rather than showing off new innovation.  The question is - why isn't Leviton making the OT7 "premier" rather than "basic"?
Costs "money" to fix it and they don't feel like paying it. Poor reviews?? Its never had great reviews and lots of people have them so did it really stop many purchases?  If you want to get it fixed, then everyone with one should complain to Leviton.

Here is their quality control form. If many people submit complaints, they will fix it. Send them a list of bugs.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=62090

I mentioned in another post that it's sad that time won't update on the OT7's automatically for DST.  I guess the Email Notifier [Time Sync WPEC Board (with possible email capability)] sync doesn't push time updates to the OT7's nor does the OP, but would be cool to see that fixed too....

Sad that time won't update on the OT7's automatically - they are like having an old clock in the house that you have to manually fix twice a year.  I guess the Email Notifier sync doesn't allow the OP to push time updates to the OT7, but would be cool to see that fixed too....

StarTrekDoors said:
I mentioned in another post that it's sad that time won't update on the OT7's automatically for DST.  I guess the Email Notifier [Time Sync WPEC Board (with possible email capability)] sync doesn't push time updates to the OT7's nor does the OP, but would be cool to see that fixed too....

Sad that time won't update on the OT7's automatically - they are like having an old clock in the house that you have to manually fix twice a year.  I guess the Email Notifier sync doesn't allow the OP to push time updates to the OT7, but would be cool to see that fixed too....
So your saying the email board does update the time in the panel but the panel doesn't update the OT7?  That seems strange.  Does the panel update the time in your thermostats?  I don't have an OT7 but the time in mine updates in thermostats and consoles.  Does the OT7 just update time once but not after that?

Back